The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I just joined a crossfit gym... and I feel like I've been hit by a bus!

So I joined a Crossfit gym yesterday. Today was my second day there. And now I feel like I've been hit by a bus . OMG. I've never been this sore after a workout in my life.

How do I make it stop? I mean, sore is good. It means I'm working But I would like to be able to move... or at least be able to get up off the couch without feeling like I'm 80 years old.

Debating whether to go tomorrow. My plan was 5-6 days a week (they are closed on Sundays). WOD's are intended to work different body parts each day, so I am hoping tomorrow is leg or core related since my upper body can't take any more beatings.

I was so nervous that this was going to be a super competitive environment and that I would be the only one who didn't knwo what I was doing... it's really low key with a great instructor and great people! I love it already! I wish I would have known this place was here earlier.

Now I just need to figure out the Nutrition part. They recommended the Paleo diet but I don't know too much about it. I generally am a healthy eater but for some reason have been unable to lose weight the last couple of months.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Please, please please do not go Paleo. or at least all the way Paleo.

Eat clean, nothing out of a box or bag, lots of lean protein, veggies steamed so your body can get the most out of it. When you eat bread, eat SPROUTED whole wheat breads Ezekiel bread is best as its a complete protein. Dont forget your fruits, your brain needs sugars to work. Complex carbs are good simple ones are not.

Go and get some surpass from your vet and rub in it good

I've been tossing around the idea of going, I need something more intense than Zumba. All the spinning classes around here are during times that are impossible with our schedule. Now that I'm done nursing DD I can really start cutting back on my calorie intake and want some sort of plan to go along with it. I've heard that it was really expensive though.

I follow a few bloggers who Crossfit and they post their WOD's daily. Is it something you can do at home, or something that you have to have a gym for?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I don't know anything about that system, but I assume it's probably okay. I've been doing the same gym stuff (have our own gym at home) for 20 years. The soreness is always at its worst to start with. You will probably never get that sore again, even if you stop for a year and start back.

Stick it out. It's fun being strong.

1 members found this post helpful.

A few suggestions for the soreness....

First, a good recovery drink. Seriously, they truly do help. Something with a 4:1 carb to protein ration, amino acids, and l-glutamine. Endurox R4 or Beachbody's Results and Recovery drink are good choices. Many people say just to drink chocolate milk (as it has the 4:1 carb/protein ratio which will help fuel your body post workout for repair, but it's the other things that really help with the muscle soreness).

Second...you can't stretch enough. Stretch and get a foam roller and live on it for the next two weeks.

Third...epsom salt baths.

Fourth...know that in about two weeks, it'll start getting easier and you won't be as sore.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I went to an intro day once.... I threw up upon arrival back at my home... and I didn't even do a full WOD lol. Also I murdered a muscle in my shoulder doing burpees and was in nonstop pain for like 4 days to the point went to the Dr. I lived but decided I wasn't fit enough for crossfit at that time lol.

Crossfit always recs Paleo. It's just their thing, like Catholics and guilt. Whatever diet/nutrition plan you pick, no matter how sane, Paleo will still be the be-all and end-all pushed by Crossfit. And depending on the people at your gym, all your health problems will be due to grains.

I have a couple of friends who just like the work-outs and surf gently over the Crossfit-as-lifestyle thing that includes Paleo, but there seems to be something addictive about it to many people. Most of the people I know who've stuck with it have gone all or some of the way to Paleo and rabidly espouse the entire philosophy. But hey, it works for them and it does create a little community, like a barn. I personally find it funny in an eye-rolly way, but I'm not against it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Paleo is awesome! I feel my best when I eat via paleo guidelines. I'd get used to the fitness routine before you take the plunge though. sugar withdrawals can be a B.

L-Glutamine can help with the muscle soreness, and I take extra on heavy lifting days

THIS is the bomb for famished, tired, want to barf or pass out post workout feeling. Literally within 5 minutes of drinking it I feel back to normal, and my post workout next morning soreness is cut by 3/4

If you are in need of some inspiration, I have a lady who works for me that's 63, had gastric bypass and is a religious cross fit attendee. She works out with ultimate fighters and keeps up!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Sore is normal. I've been a recreational CrossFitter for a couple years. Just pay attention to your body and know the difference between sore and too sore/hurt. Know how to scale workouts as a new person; a good coach will offer up scales and subs for each workout. CF people are generally competitive by nature...I try to just compete against myself and not the younger, less battered bodies.

I love the weightlifting aspect and overall CF has done great things for my body, my cardiovascular endurance and my stress levels. I think you'll have a lot of fun, I've made tons of friends through the gym so it's great for my social life. I'm not Paleo. Most of us try to eat pretty cleanly, natural foods, but luckily my crowd also likes to go out for beers occasionally. I like grains, in many ways!

If you don't go tomorrow, try to stretch and move around some. I find doing yoga helps me a lot with sore muscles.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone. I used to have the Endurox R4 Recovery Drink mix. I'll have to see if I have any left.

As for diet- I tend to eat a lot of eggs, chicken, fruits, and vegetables. I don't eat a lot of junk food. For some reason I have had a hard time keeping my weight at an acceptable level the past few months. I'm 5'9. Went from 163 to 158 after 4 weeks of training this summer (expected, as we were burning a lot of calories and not eating a lot). I was back to 163 by the time I went back to school 2-3 weeks later. Fluctuated between 163-166 until the middle of the semester, then in mid-late October I started gaining, with no change in diet or exercise. Ever since then I've been sticking firm around 173 I need to lose a few lbs to be what the Army considers "within range" for my height, and I'd really prefer to be back to around 165 so that if I get measured an inch shorter, I am still ok weight wise.

Superminion: I suppose you could do it at home, but ideally you should have an instructor or someone who knows how to properly do the exercises to show you and ensure you are using proper form/technique. Certain WOD's you could do on your own but many use equipment such as kettlebells or other weight equipment and it's important to do the exercises properly to make sure you don't injure yourself. With that being said, we do some crossfit mixed in with PT in the mornings at school with minimal equipment (a kettlebell, medicine ball, and jump rope) so you don't need a gym but you won't be able to get the full spectrum of crossfit with just those things.

As far as price, the place I am going to is charging me $75 for the month. For me it was worth it, as you have small group sizes and an instructor. Plus it was chaper than any of the other options I had gym wise.

ETA responses to new posts:
    I'm not set or even too deeply considering the Paleo. I haven't done enough research on it. The instructor/some of the members do Paleo but they aren't pushing it on me at all. It was just mentioned for me to look into when we were discussing nutrition.
    And my instructor is great at making sure the workouts are scaled to each person which is the biggest worry I had. I didn't want to be "that new person" who couldn't keep up and was made to feel like an outcast. Everyone was very welcoming/encouraging and there are people of all different levelsl/strengths there. I love it already.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Absolutely you can do it at home, in fact the Web site posts the WODs because there are people who are remote and/or have no CFs nearby.

I've done CF twice now, once for almost six months. Noticed no life-altering changes, and it cut into my running goals too much, so I moved on. Did some of the workouts at home that I had learned. Did it again with DH with a somewhat cynical eye, and quit when he blew his shoulder out.

I may start at home again with some of the WODs... But honestly, I lost the whole appeal of being too sore to move to prove I'm working out. I did experience good things with Paleo, but again, had to abandon that with my running. Veggies cannot replace grain for fuel, no matter how many times they claim it can. When I added a whole minute to my mile time, and was exhausted at the end of a 3K, when before I had energy after a six-miler...there's a fuel issue.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Can I ask, no snarkiness intended, why these work out regimes tout diets like Paleo and eating so healthily and then turn around and recommend an entirely chemically created "post work out recovery" drink? Those 2 do not go together at all.

If you are so sore the next day you can't move you way over did it. If you feel OK the next day, move around a lot (gently - if you were a horse, you'd be doing hacking for an hour at the walk and trot and stretching your topline ), and it will mitigate the soreness on day 2.

You should feel GOOD after working out, not throwing up and crippled.

3 members found this post helpful.

Three ideas to kill off the sore muscles:
    I take Osteo Bi-flex triple strength (glucosamine/chondroitin/msm) and it works very well to keep me active. I do barn work daily, swim 2 miles a day, 3 or 4 times each week, and work out with hand weights. There is a less expensive CVS version, but for some reason, the Osteo formula works better for me.

Take either Aleve or Ibuprofen a half hour before you go to the gym and another before bed.

Free Up massage cream works very well after a workout. Just massage a small amount in over the overworked areas. It is expensive, and can be purchased at Amazon.com.

If you need a heat cream, Capsa-Cream, from Uckele (the horse supplement people) is great!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I'm not a CF-er but only want to chime in to say be careful and listen to your body. My PT and chiro both have said that they've seen more injuries from people who do CrossFit than anything else. Just like horse trainers, I'm sure there are good and bad CF trainers.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Eat Paleo, or something close to it, eliminating 99% of sugars and refined grains, and you can blow off the "exercise program" completely because your body will self-regulate lipids.

Bear in mind that there is NO species of wild animal, not EVEN ONE, that will choose to run itself into muscle-group failure or cardiovascular distress in the absence of a mortal threat--a predator.

"Forced" exercise, which we've been indoctrinated with since the 70's, is completely unnatural to the human species and was never considered necessary before we changed away from eating naturally-grown, fresh foods, notably animal products, and replaced them with the very high-glycemic crap we eat today.

You can work out from now till Doomsday, and it won't make you "healthy" if you keep eating processed foods.

It's well known the the "healthiest" exercise is that moderate type to be found in one's ordinary routine--barn work, gardening, riding, walking the dog. "Fitness" and health are not the same thing, and extreme levels of "fitness" are not necessary for most people who aren't in the Navy Seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    My PT and chiro both have said that they've seen more injuries from people who do CrossFit than anything else.
    Yep. My injured my SI, and DH blew out his shoulder. CF says you should feel like you've been hit by a car for the first two weeks. How is that a healthy work out routine? When your "mascot" is Rhabdo the Clown, that might be a hint...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

My labmate and her sister joined a cross fit gym. These are women who both work out and run several (10 plus) miles daily and play soccer and hockey on a regular basis. They actually work out, not just ponce around the gym for an hour looking cute in their work out clothes. After a couple Cross fit sessions the sister ended up in the hospital for 3 days and nearly ended up with permanent kidney damage due to rhabdomyolysis. The doctor told the sister he has had patients come in with rhabdomyolysis before and Cross fit was a common factor, not always but common enough that he didn't reccommend Cross Fit.

My labmate mentioned afterwards she found out there is some saying in the Crossfit community, something like "a visit from Uncle Rhabdo" when someone gets rhabdomyolysis from a crossfit work out. Kinda scary.

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    A few suggestions for the soreness....

First, a good recovery drink. Seriously, they truly do help. Something with a 4:1 carb to protein ration, amino acids, and l-glutamine. Endurox R4 or Beachbody's Results and Recovery drink are good choices. Many people say just to drink chocolate milk (as it has the 4:1 carb/protein ratio which will help fuel your body post workout for repair, but it's the other things that really help with the muscle soreness).

Second...you can't stretch enough. Stretch and get a foam roller and live on it for the next two weeks.

Third...epsom salt baths.

Fourth...know that in about two weeks, it'll start getting easier and you won't be as sore.
    Actually, Endurox uses partially artificial sweeteners, so I have been told to avoid it and other products like Muscle Milk that do the same thing. I use Fluid recovery, which has a lower carb to protein ratio, but it has simple and clean ingredients. I'm sure there are others out there, but this one I can actually get down the hatch. Some recovery drinks are truly nasty!

The l-Glutamine will definitely help with muscle recovery. I use that daily when I'm in full tri training.

Oh, the Paleo diet. It's pretty much part of the Crossfit mentality, and while I like the emphasis on eating clean, whole foods, it isn't necessary to cut out all grains and dairy. The diet has largely been debunked on its paleo-accuracy, but if it stops people from eating so much junk, then okay. You'll figure out what works for you. I have greatly reduced grains, but you'll have to pry dairy out of my cold, dead hands.

I'm not a Crosfitter, but I will also add that I've seen a lot of friends get injured in Crossfit. Just make sure you focus on form in the beginning and really learn how to do everything correctly. And don't neglect your cardio. The games this year had a little triathlon that appeared to kick many butts of the so-proclaimed, "fittest people on earth."

You can definitely read a lot of scary stuff about CrossFit and rhabdo and puking after workouts and so on. That's why I mentioned that you have to listen to your body, don't compete with any "fire-breathers" at the gym, scale the weights and reps, etc. If you're smart and use common sense you can still make progress without injury. From what I have read, a good number of people who get rhabdo are people who are already generally fit, often new to CF even if they've worked out regularly before. Couple that with a bad coach who lets them do 100 jumping pull-ups or 75 GHD sit-ups and it's a bad recipe, for sure. There are a lot of great articles out there about avoiding injury and especially avoiding rhabdo.

I think you also have to be assertive sometimes. Don't let someone push you through pain or past your real comfort zone. It's not worth it. A good trainer can tell when you're stuck because of a mental block or have reached your real limit, and will train accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by KTRider View Post
    Couple that with a bad coach who lets them do 100 jumping pull-ups or 75 GHD sit-ups and it's a bad recipe, for sure.
    This Crossfit coach wasn't allowing them (my labmate and her sister) to do the 100 reps he was goading/shouting and heckling them to do those amounts of reps and they had to do them fast. He would write how many reps each of the particpants were able to do up on the chalk board for everyone to see (creating competition). While it was the responsibility of my friend and her sister to know when they were beyond what they were physically capable of, but it certainly wasn't helpful to have a coach shouting and "making" them push harder when the two women already have the personality type to push themselves without extra "bullying." Their case sounds like they met up with a crappy CrossFit coach. I don't know if they ever told him that one of them ended up in the hospital for 3 days or if they just never went back to the class.