The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snow shoes

OK, so I give up. Must accept winter is back the way it used to be. Actually, this has been a pretty past couple of days.

Cutting back the riding for a little bit, but still need to attack the post holiday sugar fest, and start getting in shape for serious spring riding.

Have a lot of land to walk, but with this much snow, should really be looking at snowshoes.

Experience? Opinions? Recommendations? What any of the differences mean. What else to have. Ski poles suggested? Any other gear? I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on gear, but not waste that nice hill behind me.

Have just under a 100 acres, much of it a fairly steep hill, accessible through woods, but opening to a big field. I can climb the hill in 15-20 minutes on foot in good weather on a good morning. Plus my trusty Irish Wolfhound, a little bit older, but hopefully good company for an hour out and about. Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I like the narrower ones designed for women. I just ordered a pair of running ones- but have not taken them out yet. My favorite place to order stuff like this from is Sierra Trading Post (they sell outdoor stuff at a discount- it is addictive though) I just got a pair for $77 with a coupon. I have coupon code AVK80242 for 35% off one item right now. Poles are probably good if you don't have them. Regular ski poles will do, but the adjustable length ones are nice if you want to adjust for more or less fluffy snow.

The other option would be cross country skis. My dog prefers that as I move faster on skis. Either option is great for getting out in the winter.

ETA- you might want gaiters too to keep the snow out- depending how much you get.
    Last edited by 4Martini; Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: add info

Some reading for you:

How to Choose
    First Steps

Based on your hilly terrain I'd say consider rolling terrain snowshoes (particularly one with a heel lift) for comfort's sake, but that's also a big step up in price from the entry models. A lot of people like to have poles for stability. If you have ski poles they'd work, or if you have trekking poles you can get snow baskets for the bottoms. You'll definitely want waterproof boots of some sort. Some outdoorsy/winter boots will come with a kind of nub at the heel that's designed to help keep the bindings in the right spot, but you can get by without.

I don't know if you happen to have an REI near you, but a lot of them rent out snowshoes for a low per-day price if you want to give them a shot before jumping in.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have a pair of Atlas snow shoes for running that I like a lot. I usually just use my waterproof hiking boys with them, but gaiters definitely help.