The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COOKING! HELP!

Just moved in with my boyfriend and neither of us know how to cook much! We both know about three recipes. Other wise, it's frozen pizzas, baked potatoes, or hamburger helper.

So what I'm asking is, anyone have any recipes they would like to share? Preferably ones that have minimal risk of burning the house down or causing severe bodily injury?

tasteofhome.com is a great website with recipes I used to give my students to use in the food labs.... in other words, they could use them fairly easily and the food was yummy!

http://www.ourbestbites.com/about/ Definitely check out this site! I have one of their books, Our Best Bites, and absolutely love it. The recipes give me the feeling that they're standing with me in the kitchen explaining how to make something and the food is delicious!

There is a really great book called The Silver Palate Cookbook New Basics that has information on every aspect of basic home cooking and then some. It even helps you stock a pantry. I highly recommend it! Enjoy learning to cook, it is so gratifying.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

WWW.foodgawker.com is my suggestion. Also get a crock pot!! I can cook, but we still get into the cycle of making the same things over and over. My life was made a whole lot easier when hubby decided that ground beef with a jar of spaghetti sauce was almost as good as his mom's from scratch recipe lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

allrecipes.com is your friend.

Cooking is all about developing flavors, when to add, what to add, what NOT to add. You will get it. Start out slowly, Campbell's has recipes on the sides of cans of "cream of___ soups" be it cream of mushroom, celery, etc.

Try to recreate your favorite meals from restaurants. Cooking is not that hard once you have the basics down.

Rachel Ray has a 356 meals with no repeats cook book its great because the recipes build off each other and use simple ingredients.

Actually, PM me your address, I will ship my copy to you. I dont use it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I love Cooks Illustrated...this is a great book... all of theirs are!!

http://www.amazon.com/30-Minute-Reci.../dp/0936184981

I also LOVE Southern Living and the best thing I say is just keep trying new things, and experimenting ...you'll have some disasters, but more often than not it will turn out ok, and each time you'll learn something new!! Don't be afraid!!!

I also second the Crock Pot....its a super thing to have, and my husband finally convinced me to put frozen chicken in the crock pot too.....his family had done it since he was a kid and if it hadn't killed them in 35 years I decided to try it too, have found its a lifesaver some mornings although try to plan more in advance!

What is your favorite frozen chicken crock pot recipe?

"Joy of cooking" Great book for people new to cooking. Has great explanations of basic cooking. Various editions have guided three generations in my family.

2 members found this post helpful.

allrecipes.com. And read the comments!!!

I just started a cooking blog, but I don't have enough there to help you. I'm working on uploading pics and such. But it's not really full blown yet. Stay tuned!

http://buddyrooskitchen.blogspot.com
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Buy a crock pot and then go here: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Then for more fun go here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

Tasty kitchen is also good. I think there's a link from the pioneer woman site.

I have two cookbooks, one a cute Comfort Food book from my cousin that I love because I love her.

The other is a 20+ year old Fannie Farmer Cookbook that has the best basic recipes ever in it. It's old school and basic. My copy has gone from Gig Harbor, WA to Wichita, KS to SoCal to Panama City, FL to various other places and back.

I would give it to you but the only thing holding it together is 15 year old pie dough and some recent lemon meringue filling globs. *sigh*
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Wow thanks guys! All great leads! I'll be trying some of these next week! I'll start with something very simple though, boyfriend is a firefighter, and would prefer to leave his work life out of his home life I've been thinking about the crockpot thing but didn't know where to start!

Munchingonhay, thank you! I'll send you my info!

I love my old Fannie Farmer cookbook! It's in three parts now and held together by the same glue! I bought it with wedding money 16 years ago...

For intents and purposes I do like thepioneerwoman.com, she has some basic Food recipes and it's easy and approachable. I like tastykitchen too-it's my first go-to site for recipes.

Cooking is chemistry-I just explained to my 12 year old how not to get glue when you're doing mashed potatoes... there is a knack to it but you get a feel for it early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    If you go to the site I posted (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/) there are a ton of recipes where you throw in the chicken and some other stuff and cook it all day. Easy and tasty.

ummm, my fire guy cannot boil water.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    This time of year I like frozen chicken white chili.....which includes a can or two of green chilis, some Great Northern Beans, a can of Navy Beans, broth, a few handfuls of chopped onions and then ad in some Monteray Jack at the end.

A very unhealthy recipe I LOVE is frozen chicken breasts, Worcestershire sauce, some marinated peppers, artichoke hearts, a can of cream of mushroom, some cheddar cheese, and some swiss cheese (see healthy right? ) and to top it off serve over some pasta, or rice! Haven't made it in forever but its pretty tasty, although is very strong so small portions are key!

Pretty much any recipe that calls for chicken can have frozen chicken in it, if push comes to shove!!

Lynlee, how do you deal with a frozen chicken? The guts? Or just never a whole one?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Now that I'm looking at it, that may not be my favorite slow cooker site. Won't be able to double check 'til Monday, though. Either way, you can do a lot of stuff very easily in a crockpot without having to thaw the chick first. Just do some searches for crockpot chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Lynlee, how do you deal with a frozen chicken? The guts? Or just never a whole one?
    If you've got a whole chicken that you're planning on freezing, it may be a good idea to remove the bag of organs prior to freezing

OP, I've never NOT known how to cook, so I'm a little lost with your request, but I think you'll probably pick up a lot of you watch Food Network. You can also look on youtube for demonstrations of anything in a recipe that you don't understand. Fanny Farmer and Joy of Cooking are good cookbooks for the basics. Anything else...just google for a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    If you've got a whole chicken that you're planning on freezing, it may be a good idea to remove the bag of organs prior to freezing

OP, I've never NOT known how to cook, so I'm a little lost with your request, but I think you'll probably pick up a lot of you watch Food Network. You can also look on youtube for demonstrations of anything in a recipe that you don't understand. Fanny Farmer and Joy of Cooking are good cookbooks for the basics. Anything else...just google for a recipe.
    Is already frozen with guts! I would hate to unbag one before freezing it . Could just do frozen parts but maybe Lynlee has a trick! She is clever.
    ---