The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whole-bale slow hay nets: buying and hanging

Can all you clever people help me choose and plan how to install a small-mesh/slow-feed hay net that will fit a whole square bale? My horse is already getting some of her hay from a Nibble Net, and it's really helped with waste. But I want her to have hay all the time.

As far as I can tell, I can choose from the Freedom Feeder Bale Net ($87 / holds 100lbs / 1.5" netting) or the Cinch Net Small Bale (the option I'd go for is $82 / holds 65 lbs / 1.25" netting). I've heard that Cinch Chix has good customer service. Experiences? How durable are they? Her NN is iron-clad.

Secondly, I'd be looking to hang the net. I'd like to have it above pawing-height, not that my horse is a big paw-er. I was thinking of passing the cord through an eye hook high off the ground and using leverage to hoist it up, then securing the cord to a second eye hook at a more human-friendly level. I wouldn't want to use a panic snap, since they do yank on these nets, but should I just tie with baling twine in the unlikely event of a hang-up?

If anyone has pictures of their set-ups in use, I'd be really excited to see them. Thanks!
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

From what I understand- the original slow feeder nets were home made jobs which used hockey goal netting for their material (the right size hole and strength) I just looked online- an a replacement net for a hockey goal is about $20- the net measures 54" x 44" x 24" http://www.puckshop.com/myulprohogor.html
    I have not seen this specific net, I'm not endorsing it... but at 1/4 the price- I'd give that a try first.

I don't have any whole bale sized nets, but I do have several different brands of regular size nets. My horses are NOT hard on hay nets, cheap nets usually last me well over a year without problem. My Freedom Feeder had holes in it within the first week. This was with the same horses that had already been using other nets for years and are NOT hard on them. I was very disappointed. Even worse, when I contacted Freedom Feeder about it I got no reply.

I don't have any Cinch Chix nets, but have heard nothing but good about them. When I get around to setting up for round bale feeding I plan to get a giant net from them.

The Cinch Chix nets are da bomb. VERY tough and pay for themselves in no time.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Can't address your question, but I solved the how-to-provide-free-choice-hay problem by building a "grazing box" via this site using their DIY kit: http://grazingbox.com/. In total it cost just over $100 for materials (most of it was the cost of the grate/shipping the grate), the box took the better part of a Saturday to build.

I've been using it for 3+ months now and it is working extraordinarily well.

It is incredibly easy to use -- takes maybe a minute or less to refill, I just throw in a bale every third day or so. There is no more hay waste. It slows my horse's hay consumption down by about 1/3, and allows him to eat more naturally (head down).

I am very pleased with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kelo View Post
    Can't address your question, but I solved the how-to-provide-free-choice-hay problem by building a "grazing box" via this site using their DIY kit: http://grazingbox.com/. In total it cost just over $100 for materials (most of it was the cost of the grate/shipping the grate), the box took the better part of a Saturday to build.

I've been using it for 3+ months now and it is working extraordinarily well.

It is incredibly easy to use -- takes maybe a minute or less to refill, I just throw in a bale every third day or so. There is no more hay waste. It slows my horse's hay consumption down by about 1/3, and allows him to eat more naturally (head down).

I am very pleased with it.
    Boy that is a great idea!! Thanks for the heads up.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Oh jam so building these grazing boxes! My man is already going I build me tack lockers for Christmas, this should be an easy add on......

I have heard that the metal grate of the grazing box is rough on teeth.

I have found the large size of the Greedy Feeder Net holds almost a full bale and hangs like a normal hay bag. I easily slid it over a small square (with the strings still on it) and it fit all but a few flakes worth. I cut the strings, pulled them out and closed the bag.

I have used both Freedom Feeder and Cinch Chix nets. Both are great quality.

I'm on my third year with the cinchchix whole bale nets, and they have survived unscathed, except where *I* cut one bit my mistake. They hold up very well!

I have them hung inside my run-in sheds. I have a ring attached to the run-in wall, and then a small loop of baling twine that I hook the net to with a doublesided clip. The baling twine is there to break if a horse ever were to somehow get caught in the net. I've never had that happen, but it's the same principle as attaching a cross tie to baling twine.

Here's a picture:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Posted a similar thread and went with the Cinch Chix. Can't attest to their longevity yet but wow are they sturdy and easy to use. Really like them so far.

We ordered a whole bale one and individual ones for trailering and such.
    My herd for life:
    King: 20 year old Foxtrotter gelding
    Ruais: 7 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
    http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

I have 2 whole-bale Cinch Chix nets, love them....have lasted well for 3 years....