The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default An ethical situation - what would you do?

What would you do if you knew that someone in a position of responsibility over animals was abusing drugs and alcohol? This is not a trainer, but rather a veterinarian. I can't go into the details, but I do have knowledge that this person is abusing both alcohol and other drugs, and the problem is severe. I am not sure what to do. Any advice will be appreciated. And please, do not PM me for the name of this person. I would like to respect their privacy.

A vet will have a licensing body, like a doctor does (the state veterinary medical board). You can report there, and likely they'll investigate - drug abuse is certainly taken seriously.
    I know for docs, there would be support to get off the drugs.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

5 members found this post helpful.

I think if it's serious enough- like the person is not practicing good judgement while working- driving drunk- etc... then I would not have second thoughts reporting them to the state veterinary association for a review.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pag...-the-AVMA.aspx

7 members found this post helpful.

If the person in question is practicing medicine under the influence, than reporting them to the appropriate association is the right thing to do. However, if this person somehow managed to keep their drug and alcohol habit separate from their practice, while it may be unsavory, it would be none of your (or my, if this was me in your shoes) business. That said, I may still choose not to use this practitioner.

Sometimes people fall of the wagon. Were I you, I wouldn't discuss this person or their habits with anyone. No use ruining the practice of someone who may just really need help getting clean.

15 members found this post helpful.

My opinion: if they are performing medicine under the influence, it should be reported to somebody.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

4 members found this post helpful.

THe problem with reporting is would you have to prove it to them. In the case of physicians how many abuse drugs and how many actually loose their license or right to practice - its a catch 22 - they shouldn't be allowed but have a right to earn a living. If you have a particular situation where you can document an occasion or occasions where this person was inebriated then I would call the state agency, and I would find another vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've known of several business men and professionals that have had an alcohol problem (not so much the drugs that I've know of). Each of these people lived a functional professional life and I would never have even thought of reporting them.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

6 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Foxtrot. Unfortunately there are lots of functioning alcoholics. I would not use him as a vet, if I KNEW it. If you are wrong, you are destroying his life.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I really appreciate the advice and opinions. Please feel free to weigh in. This is tough. The person in question is someone I have used as a vet in the past and admire quite a bit for their knowledge. Perhaps it is not my place to say anything, but on the other hand, I wonder if it would help this person in the end. I don't know.

One of my vets is a big drinker. No idea if he does drugs as well. He is an excellent vet but you can not depend upon him completely so I have more than one practice.

2 members found this post helpful.

Say something to him?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

urgh. This is a tough one. Appreciate the comments, but I think I am involved enough in situation where I feel a complaint needs to be filed. This sucks and I don't want to do it. But on the other hand, I feel strongly that horses' lives are involved. So right or wrong, I am going to file a complaint. Can I just say how much I utterly hate the abuse of drugs and alcohol? I hate that this has ruined the lives of so many otherwise wonderful people.

I don't envy the position you're in, and it sounds like you've made a tough but necessary choice. I think if I were in your shoes, I think I'd feel compelled to file a complaint too. If the person is driving to farm calls under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I think bringing your concerns to light is warranted.

There is a local vet who has a huge drug problem. There have been many accidents with her treating horses due to her gross negligence. Horses have been killed. There were at least 2 complaints on her to the state that I am aware of, but the last I heard - and this was fairly recently - she was still practicing, and almost killed another horse due to a huge error in dosing.

If it wasn't for people speaking up about her issues I would not have known to avoid her, and one of my horses might have been among the many she's hurt.

It's a hard decision, OP, but thank you for making it. People like this NEED to be reported.

6 members found this post helpful.

This is always a tough situation. This is my view: If the vet is in a multiple vet practice, the other vets in the practice need to be made aware of the specific situation(s) where said vet put an animal at risk as thusbis a liability issue. If the vet is a solo practitioner, chances are the vet is in a call group, and those vets should be made aware for the same reason.

Everything observed by witnesses should be documented in writing including date and time and provided to these practices. You will need that should you have to back up your claim. Going through the practices first is the more gentle approach and it gives said vet the opportunity to seek help without intervention from an oversight board.

If said vet is a danger to himself or others, and you have proof of drug/alcohol abuse, and/or you have damages, IMO you are short on options other than reporting said vet. What a shame.

I may be in the minority, but I do not understand the hesitance reporting such an issue.
    I am assuming OP knows beyond any doubt that the vet is abusing alcohol and or drugs.
    To me, even if vet is not showing up to farm calls obviously impaired or is a "functioning addict" OP has a moral obligation to report his/her knowledge.
    Hopefully the vet will get help.
    I hate the bury head in sand and say nothing as long as it doesn't affect me and mine attitude.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Is this person drinking/using drugs and operating a motor vehicle? Administering controlled substances while under the influence of drugs/alcohol him/herself? Because if s/he is, I think you really ought to report the person-- and this is from someone who gave up drinking herself because of a drinking problem-- and has been sober for many years.

Start a paper trail and document, or, if you feel it is warranted, proceed directly with a complaint to the proper authorities. I'm sure you would feel terrible if an animal or worse, a person, were to die or be horribly injured by this vet.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    This is always a tough situation. This is my view: If the vet is in a multiple vet practice, the other vets in the practice need to be made aware of the specific situation(s) where said vet put an animal at risk as thusbis a liability issue. If the vet is a solo practitioner, chances are the vet is in a call group, and those vets should be made aware for the same reason.

Everything observed by witnesses should be documented in writing including date and time and provided to these practices. You will need that should you have to back up your claim. Going through the practices first is the more gentle approach and it gives said vet the opportunity to seek help without intervention from an oversight board.

If said vet is a danger to himself or others, and you have proof of drug/alcohol abuse, and/or you have damages, IMO you are short on options other than reporting said vet. What a shame.
    You cannot take this on yourself to report to a practice or God forbid, go vet by vet and tell them privately. This is something that has to be reported to the licensing board. Otherwise, you are putting yourself in serious jeopardy if the vet decides to file a lawsuit claiming defamation.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Contact the state board of registration.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Two of the best repro vets I have ever known weren't worth a damn after noon every day. If it is affecting their work, say something. The one vet only did repro work, the other did everything, but if we had a problem after 3pm we called someone else. They were good enough it was worth working around
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"