The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default crock pots for vegetarian

So I was thinking the other day that I would love to make soup, and while I could make soup on the stove, I am a bit leery of having the element on for hours while I am not home.

Its just me and I found this cute little 2 person crock pot for under $25.00 with tax and all that. http://www.crock-pot.com/product.aspx?pid=7506 And they had smaller ones for $11.99 at Target when I popped in there the other day.

I know they make sense for cooking cuts of meat, pulled pork etc.

So my question is.....I am mainly a vegetarian with a lactose intolerance problem, (though I will throw caution to the wind {mind the pun} for the right recipe).

Does it make sense for me to make my own soups? I know I can just open up a can and reheat it on the stove, but there is something so special about homemade soups.

So are there any other vegetarians out there that routinely use their crock pots? And if you do, share your recipes!

I'd start by making your own stock, which can certainly be done quite easily in a crock pot. I would not buy a tiny one--go full sized.

Once you've got stock uh...stocked...then it's really, really easy to make a variety of soups in the crock pot or just on the stove top.

This is not vegetarian, but I imagine you could use the same premise to make vegetable stock: http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetua...th-youll-make/

I love making soups. They're usually CHEAP and certainly comforting, especially when it's cold outside. And you avoid all the chemicals in the cans...

I'm not a vegetarian, but there is something really special about coming home and opening the door to the smell of dinner all cooked!

I often make soups from the women's bean project- which is a charity helping women develop work skills. I think all of their soups are vegetarian out of the package. http://www.womensbeanproject.com/
    I like Toni's Ten Bean Soup. I also like the tubes of split pea soup mix at the grocery store which are cheaper- but do not support such a great program. Very easy to make and delicious and like I said the smell when you open the door is worth it. You might have a lot of leftovers though.

My friend is a vegan and she always uses her crock pot. I think she has a big one though because she makes meals for the week. I'll see if I can get some recipes from her when she is back from holidays.

Thanks guys.

I was not going to go full sized, but I guess may be I should. Then I can freeze meals.

Thanks for the links I am looking forward to doing some research on the matter.

And you are right Simke, I am trying to avoid all the crap in a can.

Well this won't avoid the can entirely but V8 juice makes a great stock for vegetable soup.

I make mine with beef but it would probably be just as good without. Start with the V8 and add an equal amount of water. Add a shake or two of oregano. About a half teaspoon of Mrs. Dash is good too and a tablespoon or so of olive oil for flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut up vegetables to add, I use carrots, onion, celery, cabbage (the cabbage is the secret), and potatoes. You can add other vegetables to taste, green beans are good, limas if you like them.

Your cooking time may vary with the size of the batch and your crock pot but keep in mind that cabbage takes a while to cook.

If you're not in a hurry to eat when get home you can toss in a handful of frozen peas and/or corn then cook for another hour on high. You can add a hand full of noodles too.

Really there is no limit on what you can put in there. I'd play around the basic recipe on a day when you'll be around to watch it. That way you can tweak it to suit your own tastes.

Here are a few of my favorites-
    Tomato Basil and Parmesan
    French Onion
    Tortilla Soup
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

_Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker_ by Robin Robertson is a fabulous cookbook. Not a lot of exotic ingredients, for the most part, and a recipe can seem pretty basic but still taste fantastic. This author must really know how to combine ingredients to maximize flavor. South African Slow Cooked Bobotie is excellent, and her baked bean recipes are amazing, especially the section called Magic Beans -- you start with dried beans, cook them, and have them at the ready for different variations, such as Mediterranean Beans featuring pesto.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Well this won't avoid the can entirely but V8 juice makes a great stock for vegetable soup.

I make mine with beef but it would probably be just as good without. Start with the V8 and add an equal amount of water. Add a shake or two of oregano. About a half teaspoon of Mrs. Dash is good too and a tablespoon or so of olive oil for flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut up vegetables to add, I use carrots, onion, celery, cabbage (the cabbage is the secret), and potatoes. You can add other vegetables to taste, green beans are good, limas if you like them.

Your cooking time may vary with the size of the batch and your crock pot but keep in mind that cabbage takes a while to cook.

If you're not in a hurry to eat when get home you can toss in a handful of frozen peas and/or corn then cook for another hour on high. You can add a hand full of noodles too.

Really there is no limit on what you can put in there. I'd play around the basic recipe on a day when you'll be around to watch it. That way you can tweak it to suit your own tastes.
    I use tomato/vegetable juice for a fake minestrone all the time, just toss in a pack of mixed vegetables and season to taste. certainly something to do in a crockpot as well. You are not as likely to burn the hell out of your food, though rich, thick foods can turn a but dark on the edges.\

they also sell Swanson's as vegetable broth next to the omnipresent chicken and beef ones.

while i really like canned soups, some are so darn good, you can't really replicate them, home made food rocks!

some of the foods suggested, I have a hard time imagining them without a ham hock though....gotta have pork with your beans!

stepmom used to take an onion, cut it in half - not peeled - and roast the cut side until it was almost black, to flavor and color clear soups.
    carrot, celery (the old world uses the root type, not the green stalky stuff. it has almost a licorice flavor)some herbs, parley, chives etc, tied in a bundle...said onion, make a nice flavor base for a soup.

One of my favorite soups is a clear vegetable, I suppose one could leave the weenies out.
    Or a triple cabbage, but it also asks for bacon....hmmm pigs are so tasty.....

No worries about the small size of the crock pot, they are fantastic for making dips and snackfoods for parties (I was going to suggest little smokies in BBQ sauce, my bad ) but plenty big when you don't want to have endless leftovers!
    A fullsize one is never bad to have on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Dont forget you can also make baked beans in the crockpot and replace the salt pork with liquid smoke to make it vegan; Mom used to do the liquid smoke when bacon was running low and there wasn't much change in flavour.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

there are TONS of cookbooks & websites with vegan and vegetarian recipes for slow cookers. I'm vegetarian and use mine fairly often. You can definitely make soups, chili, and that kind of thing. Here's probably my favorite slow cooker recipe. So easy and so good, and you can freeze the leftovers and have mass quantities of homemade marinara for weeks!

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011...ecipe-040.html

My favorite soup is vegetarian (not egg free, but dairy free) matzo ball soup. It's made with yellow split peas, but it's not for the crockpot.

Just google vegetarian soups for the slow cooker. There are so many I can think of...minestrone, mushroom and barley, chili.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I make chili a lot-- canned beans/ tomatoes, cut up zucchini and yellow squash, frozen corn, and cumin and chili powder to taste. Awesome, cheap, and easy. It's probably the one meal I've come up with that ALL my friends with food allergies/ crazy diets can eat. Plus it's fantastic topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream if you eat dairy.

I make a version of Highflyers chili.

Beans of your choice(I use a can each of red, kidney, black, and pinto) strained, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato soup, taco powder, and then top with cheese (or not... it's good either way) and eat with the Scoops chips. I LOVE it to have after coming home from the barn in the winter. DH doesn't eat beans, but even he loves this!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

all this soup talk made me hungry.
    So I made a pot of MILs turnip green soup...when I ate a bowl I realized I forgot to but the sausage in it....never missed it in flavor:

1qt chicken broth - like I said, there is vegetable broth in the same section...but I was trying something else new, din't want to change it that much...
    1 pouch of Knorr vegetable soup mix - again, I am sure one can substitute real food for it
    2 cans Great northern beans with liquid - today I used about a cup dried, soaked over night and precooked, turned out to be just about the right amount.

1 pound of frozen turnip greens

1 pack smoked sausage

As I said, I forgot to put the sausage in.
    MIL said she also used other greens when turnips were out.
    I have used bacon and chicken breast before, the lunchmeat kind...liked it a lot, really.

next time I'll try the vegetable broth.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I make chili a lot-- canned beans/ tomatoes, cut up zucchini and yellow squash, frozen corn, and cumin and chili powder to taste. Awesome, cheap, and easy. It's probably the one meal I've come up with that ALL my friends with food allergies/ crazy diets can eat. Plus it's fantastic topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream if you eat dairy.
    Throw some soaked bulghur in there along with a bit of oregano and garlic and some sliced carrots and chopped green pepper, and you've got my recipe.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    all this soup talk made me hungry.
    So I made a pot of MILs turnip green soup...when I ate a bowl I realized I forgot to but the sausage in it....never missed it in flavor:

1qt chicken broth - like I said, there is vegetable broth in the same section...but I was trying something else new, din't want to change it that much...
    1 pouch of Knorr vegetable soup mix - again, I am sure one can substitute real food for it
    2 cans Great northern beans with liquid - today I used about a cup dried, soaked over night and precooked, turned out to be just about the right amount.

1 pound of frozen turnip greens

1 pack smoked sausage

As I said, I forgot to put the sausage in.
    MIL said she also used other greens when turnips were out.
    I have used bacon and chicken breast before, the lunchmeat kind...liked it a lot, really.

next time I'll try the vegetable broth.
    Thanks for the recipe!

This sounds great, & I plan to try it, but did you make it in a crockpot, or just on the stovetop? Either way - how long did you cook it for? Because I'd think those ingredients (frozen turnip greens, canned beans, precooked smoked sausage) in a crockpot all day would turn to mush. I'm thinking I'll be doing this as a stovetop soup.

Perfect timing. After finishing all the baking and post holiday clean-up, had just determined I'm going on a soup-through-the-winter binge. However, I have 2 lame crockpot books that just seem to throw lots of pre-packaged/canned stuff together.

Hope to see more posted. I'm on a hunt!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Another vegetarian chiming in...I love my crockpot and made a batch of vegan vegetable soup last weekend for a party. So easy! Six cups of broth, a can of tomato sauce, a can of white beans and a bunch of whatever vegetables you like. I added some cajun seasoning and parsley and this was SO much better than any can of soup I've ever opened. Unfortunately, we ate it all, so I need to make more to put in the freezer for lunches. It will have to wait, though, because I made 2 batches of soup today (on the stovetop). My winter goal seems to be to make a new soup each weekend. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Thanks for the recipe!

This sounds great, & I plan to try it, but did you make it in a crockpot, or just on the stovetop? Either way - how long did you cook it for? Because I'd think those ingredients (frozen turnip greens, canned beans, precooked smoked sausage) in a crockpot all day would turn to mush. I'm thinking I'll be doing this as a stovetop soup.
    I have made it in a crockpot before, but today was stovetop.

since everything is pretty much cooked, you just have to heat it thoroughly.
    having said that, I had my pot on low heat all afternoon...because the stuff is just too good!