The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Favorite Leftover Turkey recipes.....

I just finished making my favorite turkey soup.....DH doesn't love it, but between Thanksgiving and Christmas I can freeze enough for me for the year! Its super basic, but something I grew up with as a kid so LOVE it!! Sometimes I just freeze the broth and add the noodles whenever I make it because some say the noodles turn to "paste" when cooked in the soup, and then frozen and reheated....personally I kind of like the "paste" taste, but....others don't seem to care for it!

TURKEY SOUP

1 Turkey Carcass
    10 Quarts
    2 cups celery chopped s
    1 cups celery leaves chopped
    2 cups onions chopped
    14 Chicken bouillon cubes
    2 TBLS salt
    ½ teas. Pepper
    2 Bay leaves

6-8 cups fine egg noodles
    2/3 cup chopped parsley
    2 cups frozen mixed veggies
    ½ cup butter
    ½ cup flour

Combine first nine ingredients and simmer 3-4 hours until meat falls off bones. Remove bones from pot (I usually use a slotted spoon and remove almost everything and then put meat , onions and celery back in.
    Add frozen veggies and cook approx 10 minutes , then add noodles and parsley. In small saucepan heat butter and flour until it is a nice paste, then add to the soup mixture when soup is boiling. Stir in and mix thoroughly. Freezes nicely .

Note: You may have to add a little water to maintain original amount if you simmer for a long time.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else likes!!!

I love turkey soup and turkey pot pie.

My recipes are a little more basic though.

Turkey soup.
    Water, turkey off the carcass, some diced potatoes, carrots and an onion, and a bag of frozen peas.
    When we're done dinner, I pop the turkey in a stock pot with enough water to cover it and boil until the meat come off easily, usually just before bed. Cool in the fridge overnight. Next morning, get the meat off the bones (the yucky part) and then put the turkey back in the pot with the water. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion. Cook until soft. Add the frozen peas.

Pot pie. Turkey on the bottom, bag of frozen peas, layer of stuffing and mashed potatoes on top. Cook in the oven until the top is brown.

YUMMY!

1 members found this post helpful.

Turkey croquettes. Finely chop cooked turkey (or put it in the food processor like I do), mix it up with some leftover mashed potatoes and an egg, shape into balls, roll in bread crumbs, and fry. Serve with leftover gravy. MMMM....
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

2 members found this post helpful.

I made this Turkey Pot Pie recipe after Thanksgiving, and again tonight with chicken:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-...e7=Home%20Page

It's delicious. My DH doesn't like cooked carrots, so I put in a bunch of chopped mushrooms instead of the carrots. It's one of our favorite meals now.

I debone all mine and freeze in freezer bags. I then make turkey soup or turkey stew with it.