The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Dyson users

I finally caved and purchased the Dyson Animal this evening. After spending an eternity trying to assemble the darn thing, I was able to commence vacuuming. The darn thing squeaks! It seems like every time I pull it back towards me, I get a little squeak/squeal noise. I can't figure out if it's coming from the ball, or if it's a suction thing. Is this normal? If not, any ideas of what the cause might be? For $600, I don't expect it to squeak!
    It seemed to be sucking just fine, based upon the amount of dirt it picked up
    Cindy

Mine doesnt squeak. $600?!!! Nooooooo. Pretty sure it was under $400.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Mine doesnt squeak. $600?!!! Nooooooo. Pretty sure it was under $400.
    $600 was with tax and the accessory kit. I paid a little more than I could have elsewhere, because I was helping a friend out with commission (tis the season). If not for that reason, I probably would have bought a refurbished one from Overstock.com!
    Cindy

Wow. I didnt know you could get a refurbished one? That was very kind of you!

I love mine.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I purchased mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond after they send me one of those 20% off one item coupons in the mail. That was a nice discount.

I have the version prior to the 'ball' technology came out, so I can't help you on the squeak noise.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Mine doesn't squeak... and considering how much of my own hair is now wrapped around the bristle it should get an award for still spinning lol.

2 members found this post helpful.

No squeaking here either. I do have to give my brush haircuts as I appear to be the animal in the house that gives it the most trouble with my long hair.

This is really the vacuum I need to replace my Hoover?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    No squeaking here either. I do have to give my brush haircuts as I appear to be the animal in the house that gives it the most trouble with my long hair.
    Ha! I had to do this exact thing just this last week!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Do you have a lot of carpet? If so you probably want the canister... I have the rechargeable one as I have hardwoods and area rugs. It only holds a charge for 15 minutes.. At first when I read the reviews I said no way! And then I saw one that said "why would you want to spend more than 15 minutes a day vacuuming?!" and I cheered, and bought it LOL
    ---

2 members found this post helpful.

your reasoning is incredible reasonable.

Regardless of the "animal" model, Dyson Animal over Hoover?

I think so. I have killed quite a few Hoovers?
    ---

I have a refurbished Dyson Animal that I bought 11 yrs ago. It is still sucking like mad. Two ppl have borrowed it in the past 6 months & both commented on its awesomeness.

I paid extra for the "animal' package (3 DLHs) , but I have found the best way to remove fur from upholstery is to take everything off & just use the hose.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ours was a refurbished one as well and we've had no problems with it. Had it for a few years at least.

I have killed a number of Hoover's over the years, and that was prior to having 3 indoor dogs (one a pyr) & 2 cats. My "animal" is going on 6 years old, gets regular haircuts but was worth every penny!

I just saw a new head reviewed on my local news - I'll be ordering it shortly, it doesn't need haircuts! http://www.dyson.com/tools/t/tangle-...bine-tool.aspx

I've had my "Animal" for over two years. Still going strong and no squeaking! Love it.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I bought a refurbished one about 4 years ago. It's wonderful - running great (no squeaking noise?!?!) and I just love it. I used it to vacuum a house we were renting and the property manager thought we'd shampooed the carpets! It is THAT awesome.

I think I know where the squeaking is coming from! It doesn't do it when turned off, so I've ruled out the ball. Dyson customer service told me to remove the canister...did that, and no squeak either. I'm pretty sure it's coming from that little rubber gasket that fits over the hole on the upper part of the canister. It does not seem to be sealed very tight when the canister is in position. There's also quite a bit of dust on the OUTSIDE of the vacuum, which leads me to believe that dust is escaping from under the gasket.
    Cindy

We had one about 10 years ago. I had a collie and had the worst time with collie hair wrapped around the bristles. I had to stop and cut the hair out after every room. Are they better now?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My Dyson is great.

There should not be any dirt leaking onto the outside of the vacuum. I wonder if you have something attached incorrectly. My Dyson made a loud noise at first when it was on carpet. I think I had the height set for wood floors. It seems to have self corrected.

1 members found this post helpful.