The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moving to California from the east coast and totally overwhelmed!

Hello everyone,

I have found this place to be the most amazing resource when I moved my horse from Massachusetts to Central New Jersey a few years ago. My husband is starting a new job at the University of Santa Barbara in September 2013 and I now need to find a place to board my semi-retired Thoroughbred Gelding. He is 23 years old and a real sweetheart - one of the favorites at his current barn.

I need your help! What discussion boards should I check out for the Santa Barbara area to get insider info of where to board? Also, does anyone have any other tips on finding a place? I will be looking for a relaxed, affordable, full-boarding situation at a place that's not too far from the University. My background is in jumpers but my guy is semi-retired pasture pet now and I just do light trail riding.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. We don't move until this August/September so I have plenty of time to plan.

Ahh, Santa Barbara is simply beautiful! I don't personally know of any boarding situations, but would suggest you check out the California Horsetrader online for possible leads. You also could check out the California Dressage Society or Bay Area Equestrian might have some infomation for further south. Good luck and welcome to the Golden State!

The Santa Ynez area has many retirement facilities and a lot of excellent options for horse boarding. The California Horsetrader - http://www.horsetrader.com - is the prime place to find listings, though what you're looking for may not be advertised there (or at all).

Also try:
    http://www.socalequest.com

http://www.cahorse.com - a directory of equine businesses

http://www.ridingmagazine.com
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Hey! A native Santa Barbarian here, and I board AT the university! One place that might be more ideal for you though, is Glen Annie ranch... Although no jumping allowed outside a lesson, you have to take a lesson from the trainer (Alana Bloomberg) to jump. Lots of places up north though, my boy is currently in the swanky area of the valley for the winter in a pasture, for only $300/month. Talk about a deal.

Any more questions, or if you want someone to take you on a barn tour, let me know! Feel free to message me here or email (msponyATrocketmailDOTcom)

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Hey! A native Santa Barbarian here, and I board AT the university! One place that might be more ideal for you though, is Glen Annie ranch... Although no jumping allowed outside a lesson, you have to take a lesson from the trainer (Alana Bloomberg) to jump. Lots of places up north though, my boy is currently in the swanky area of the valley for the winter in a pasture, for only $300/month. Talk about a deal.

Any more questions, or if you want someone to take you on a barn tour, let me know! Feel free to message me here or email (msponyATrocketmailDOTcom)
    Oh hey, cool ... TBRedHead ... hi-five! SB natives for the win! My parents work at UCSB (Dad's a professor, Mom works in film studies) so we boarded my TB at the UCSB stables for a while when I was in high school. It's co-op, and sort of worked out OK for me, but it was more work than I could handle especially in the winter and when my co-op people were trying to get me to take weekday AM feedings and saying we all had classes at 8 AM (yeah, but in their case, they couldn't be marked down and possibly put in detention for it because they were in college, and me in high school without a car or a driver's license) so we went to full care board. At of all places ... Glen Annie, and I'm still there to this day.

GA's not a bad place as far as casual boarding goes. It's nothing fancy, but there are barn trails that can be fun to ride, there's stuff to do whenever we boarders get together to have a playday, etc, it's pretty low key. There's the show barn boarders with Alanna and then there's us regulars, but the atmosphere is good and relaxed with everyone being happy. There's like 3 arenas to ride in (4 if you count the one way up on the top of the hill) and a lunging barn.

I could PM information for ya.

1 members found this post helpful.

No helpful info here, but I have to say I'm envious of your move! I'm a native Californian now living in snow country, and especially now, as I look out my window at 10 inches of new snow, I really, really miss California. And Santa Barbara is gorgeous. Lucky you.

Dreamswept: winter time at WCS is horrible, hence why my horse is gone for the winter! I moved last winter which was fairly dry, and after 2 rains this year I was beyond done with the flooding. Especially since I have a tender footed tb, I already had to pull his shoes. I love taking care of my own horse, which is why I moved there, but I can see how it'd be too much for others! The trails are terrible, while its gorgeous being on the ocean, the surfers/bikes/dogs/etc are too unnatural and my guy gets too spooky. GA seems like the best low key barn to stay at, there In the Irons and one private near them, but I dont know much else about them.

And OP, just to get you excited, this is just a hop and a skip across the road, this beautifulllll place, Ellwood! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/tceser/Picture268.jpg

I remember some awful rain back in the 90s when I was in high school. The WCS is in a lowland wetland area, so it flooded something pretty bad. Wasn't a lot of fun, I should say. Not that things seem to be better at Glen Annie, it's mud mud mud everywhere. I love taking care of my horses, I've got two on self care at Glen Annie. And I liked taking care of my own horse at WCS when I was there, BUT ... I didn't really like taking care of other peoples' horses too, with the time constraints that I had. And holidays seemed to get dumped on me pretty easy when everyone went home, and because I already was home ... well, you get the picture. I'm much happier where I am now. It definitely is nice and low key, as long as that freak Haflinger isn't tooling around with his little cart. I kid, I kid. Especially since I'm responsible for that.

I LOVE riding at Ellwood!

I'm local. Let me know what you are looking for. Trail riding is a bit scarce but there are a couple of places. You can PM me.

Thank you so much everyone! These are some great leads to start with. I couldn't find boarding rates at Glen Annie or UCSB Stables online but will contact them directly for more info once I know where exactly I'll be living.