The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How silly is that. Gal already produced one of THE BEST horses of all time and sold it as planned. Why would he want to BUY another one?

LOL Coth is always good for entertainment.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    But what "bragging rights" do you have if you buy a horse that already won everything?
    Very few if the horse doesn't keep on winning.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    How silly is that. Gal already produced one of THE BEST horses of all time and sold it as planned. Why would he want to BUY another one?

LOL Coth is always good for entertainment.
    Last sentence is right. This wins the award for most ridiculous thread ever. First of all you might want to take note that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Much like Totilas, people like you and I will probably never know exactly what the eventual buyer pays for Valegro. Not the kind of information we get to be privy to. Secondly, I would stop worrying about what others do with their money and be appreciative that people are willing to invest in top horses and trainers. That's how the rest of us get to ride with those people and that's what makes our shows possible.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sa Couer, a 5 y.o. gelding just sold for 2.3M euros at the PSI auction. So I think that would set a minimum for Vallegro. It is only HOPED that Sa Couer reaches GP - Vallegro is already there. Also Sa Couer went to GB.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...12-psi-auction
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

I think the medals mean absolutely nothing if you are simply buying them. And there's a difference between helping a rider fund their competition, and saying a gelding is "worth" millions and millions of dollars.

Sorry, the whole "horse sport" is turning less and less into any sort of sport to me as we start simply buying and selling horses to win things. I think Charlotte's win means a lot as she actually brought that horse up through the levels. But what "bragging rights" do you have if you buy a horse that already won everything?

Most sports are pure skill, no way to buy any part of winning. A runner can't go buy faster feet, a gymnast can't buy better balance. Winning a medal by buying a horse already doing it means nothing to me.
    Too much caffeine?

Seriously though, established and medal-winning horses change hands every day.

Lots of high dollar items change hands every day. One man's multi-million dollar yacht (that he doesn't even pilot, the crew does) is another man's gold medal horse. Hey, if you got it, spend it.

I don't think it devalues the wonderful training that went in, in fact I think it is an incredible nod to the Charlottes of the world that the fruit of their love/labor commands such a price.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Did anyone say something about Gal buying the horse? I sure didn't. But I will bet money he would not turn down the ride if Glock buys it for him.

So what's the point of buying the horse? What do you get for your millions? Do you get to put your company name on his saddle pad?
    Are you kidding? Plenty of wealthy sponsors pay big money for horses someone else will ride. What does the sponsor get? They get their name in lights (so to speak). They get wined and dined and fawned over, esp. if the horse is a big winner for the home team. They get VIP seating and backstage passes to the world's biggest competitions. Yep, there is lots of opportunity for self-aggrandizement for owners of top international horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by equusaround View Post
    Sa Couer, a 5 y.o. gelding just sold for 2.3M euros at the PSI auction. So I think that would set a minimum for Vallegro. It is only HOPED that Sa Couer reaches GP - Vallegro is already there. Also Sa Couer went to GB.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...12-psi-auction
    2.3 million Euros is about 1.8 million British pounds. Not even close to the 12 million pounds mentioned by the OP as the price tag for Valegro.

Of course, as you said, Sa Couer isn't close to being to an Olympic Gold medalist, either.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    you might want to take note that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
    Oh no, you just burst my reality bubble [

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Are you kidding? Plenty of wealthy sponsors pay big money for horses someone else will ride. What does the sponsor get? They get their name in lights (so to speak). They get wined and dined and fawned over, esp. if the horse is a big winner for the home team. They get VIP seating and backstage passes to the world's biggest competitions. Yep, there is lots of opportunity for self-aggrandizement for owners of top international horses.
    They also may get satisfaction from being a part of their country's success in International competition. Not everyone is as shallow as many of you seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by equusaround View Post

Sadly for us Brits, this too was a rumour. Sa Couer is to stay in Germany.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/315410.html

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder
    2.3 million Euros is about 1.8 million British pounds. Not even close to the 12 million pounds mentioned by the OP as the price tag for Valegro.
    I'd repeat again that the price quoted in the OP is highly suspect, but I've been hungover enough from Christmas cheer and I don't feel the need to bash my head against a brick wall.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh that's right...I forgot that there were no horse sports or trainers available before horses started selling for millions of dollars.

If we don't donate money to these rich people so they can pay an inflated price, horse sport will be in danger!
    This is probably as worthwhile as banging my head against a wall but the FB you are referring to appears to be regular people attempting to form a syndicate to purchase the horse. It is not rich people asking for donations, or at least not rich on the level that they would actually be able to purchase a horse like this. And for the third or fourth time, this FB group is in no way affiliated with Carl, Charlotte, or Valegro's other owner.

As far as trainers - they have always depended on rich people to make their real livings. I'm sure if you account for inflation there were many, many horses being sold for what would be millions today throughout history. It's part of the business and I for one am glad that people with more money than I are happy to sponsor wonderful riders/trainers and horse shows so that I can benefit from them. If you don't like the business you're welcome to stop participating though.

4 members found this post helpful.

If we don't donate money to these rich people so they can pay an inflated price, horse sport will be in danger!
    You really seem to have no understanding of the situation that you, yourself, have described. It sounds as if some facebook fans are trying to raise money to buy shares in, or create,a syndicate for the purpose of keeping Valegro in Great Britain.
    If that is the case , I cannot fathom where you are getting the idea that "rich people" are asking for donations.

2 members found this post helpful.