The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valegro: You have got to be kidding me...

What kind of scams are going on? The horse isn't sold because he's a gelding, who in their right mind would pay millions and millions for ANY gelding!? 12 MILLION pounds? Are you kidding me?

I'll take a wine country estate instead..
    http://www.redfin.com/CA/Napa/4250-S.../home/12205683

This is really making me loose some respect for those involved with him...

2 members found this post helpful.

Where did you see that number?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    What kind of scams are going on? The horse isn't sold because he's a gelding, who in their right mind would pay millions and millions for ANY gelding!? 12 MILLION pounds? Are you kidding me?

I'll take a wine country estate instead..
    http://www.redfin.com/CA/Napa/4250-S.../home/12205683

This is really making me loose some respect for those involved with him...
    Curious where you've heard that figure PP... Horse and Hound reported the price as around £6 million after the Olympics, and the BBC recently reported it at £3 million. Regardless, he IS a proven consistent record-breaking and gold-medal winning horse, and he's only 10. Also, everyone involved is really hoping to sell to a UK buyer who will commit to keeping the horse in-country... so no surprise really if the asking price is high at the moment in order to allow time to persuade potential British investors.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Why would anyone pay that for a gelding?!!

Sorry Perfect Pony but that Facebook page was simply set up by fans and has nothing to do with the owners or rider of Valegro. It would be a massive shame to make assumptions about the intentions of Carl Hester, Rory Luard, or Charlotte Dujardin based on what is essentially a fan page.

8 members found this post helpful.

With cloning heading the way it is, I'm not so sure being a gelding is such a reduction in value as it was before.

The facebook page is just a bunch of fans trying to put a syndicate together...silly, really, but not associated with any of the riders or owners of Valegro. I'm not really sure what is so terrible about any of it. People will pay what they think the horse is worth. Unless YOU are looking to buy him....who cares if someone else has the money and wants to spend it?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    With cloning heading the way it is, I'm not so sure being a gelding is such a reduction in value as it was before.
    LOL good point! If you ever get the chance to pet a horse such as Valegro, discreetly yank a hair or two from his mane.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    The facebook page is just a bunch of fans trying to put a syndicate together...silly, really, but not associated with any of the riders or owners of Valegro. I'm not really sure what is so terrible about any of it. People will pay what they think the horse is worth. Unless YOU are looking to buy him....who cares if someone else has the money and wants to spend it?
    +1

I find the outrage silly in the extreme.

Sorry, not silly at all if it cons people out of their money.
    It takes two for a con to work.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is someone liking the idea of a syndicate and there is buying into a syndicate.

It is a fan page. Whatever. I don't think they'll get the prices you are quoting, but I have no idea what his actual listing price is...I suspect you'd need to call & chat with Carl to know.

What I find silly is the now is the 20 Million dollar reported pricetag.
    Not to flog a dead horse, but as far as I'm aware that's not the asking price that any reputable sources are reporting. Are you simply getting that figure from this slightly odd Facebook page, or is there another source mentioning it? I can't imagine why the price would have suddenly increased by 400%.

Sorry but the rumour mill on this particular issue has been rather amusing at times.

I'm a size two supermodel and I just bought V for 999999999999 million Euros.

If you read it it must be true, so I'll just sit here and wait to a) shrink b) gain a horse I can't remotely ride LOL

I'm a size two supermodel and I just bought V for 999999999999 million Euros.

If you read it it must be true, so I'll just sit here and wait to a) shrink b) gain a horse I can't remotely ride LOL

Im sure the only people who actually know the price are not starting a fb page or even sharing with the bloggers.

If he was a racehorse no one would bat an eye lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

PP, How much do you think the owner paid Charlotte to ride and train the horse for those years, and pay for her leave her business and show all over Europe? To have the pair transport and show all over Europe to qualify for and prepare for the Olympics? To work with top trainers to improve? Seriously, how much do you think that all cost the owner? Why can't the owner recoup those costs by selling a 10 year old Olympic record-breaking gold medalist for a few million? Or even 100 zillion? A horse only sells if someone buys.

A horse is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him. People have always been willing to pay big money to win a .50 cent ribbon.

3 members found this post helpful.

My guess is they have deliberately put an exorbitant price tag out there to keep Glock from buying the horse for Edward Gal. They would prefer some Brit buy the horse, and ideally for Charlotte to ride. So sure - 12 million pounds to Gaston Glock (or any other "foreign" investor), but a far more reasonable price to someone who will guarantee the horse for Charlotte.

You get bragging rights. You get the chance to say you own a gold medal/record breaking horse. You get to watch your horse in Normandy and Rio (hopefully). And, since they want to keep it in the UK and on the UK team, it hopefully has a little patriotic appeal.

That means a lot to some people. It's the same in eventing. No prize money to speak of, but people own or are in syndicates so they can enjoy the international level of the sport as an owner. You may not have any interest in it, but there are some who do, and I don't think we should snark at them for wanting to do it...it's not cheap to play at this level, in any sport, so we NEED people willing to help fund it if we want to win medals.

i hope that valegro does NOT go to Gal - i think it would be the end of that fantastic horse.

i think folks should report the FB page as a scam... becuase folks are going to send money to ---- who?

anyway, not much to get riled about..... at least Valegro is a GP horse - unlike the youngster who sold recently for gobs o money and is just a youngster!