The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have GOT to try this! My correction isn't nearly as significant/severe as some of the previous posters (-2.00 in one and -2.25 in the other) and I have had instructors mention that I am too focused on things around me (I also get the "tense" comment - A LOT!!). I'm curious now!

I don't even remember my correction, but I remember once falling off in a lesson and parting company with my glasses. I just lay there, and then reached out and started doing that pat feel pat feel - I remember my trainer cracked up and said "they're on your chest!".

Not having my glasses on isn't really something that helps me be less tense, although I can see how it might help with "feel".
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminOTTB View Post
    I have GOT to try this! My correction isn't nearly as significant/severe as some of the previous posters (-2.00 in one and -2.25 in the other) and I have had instructors mention that I am too focused on things around me (I also get the "tense" comment - A LOT!!). I'm curious now!
    Well, give it a try, then report back and let us know if it worked for you, too!
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

EEk no way would I leave the house without my contacts or glasses. Its like a thick wall of fog everywhere I go. I hate it, but I'm too much of a chicken to get laser done.

Can't say I have ever had a hard eye though.

I'm -11 in my left eye and off the charts in my right eye. I remember when I was 17 I lost my contact, and my instructor made me keep going. I was on a crazy as a loon horse, and we were doing gymnastics, but somehow neither of us died that day, and we were jumping 3'6 - on a horse with very little scope. I haven't ridden since with out my contact, - I only wear one - but I remember back when I used to show, how by the end of the day, I could hardly see, because my eyes would be so irritated, and contact would be so dusty. It's scary jumping a 3 ft course when you can't see the jumps - I once jumped an oxer backwards.....

No one is suggesting that anyone should drive to the barn to try this without corrective lenses! We have a windowsill in the arena where my glasses can sit quite safely while I ride around "blind".

Drive to the barn with your glasses or contacts in, remove them (if you have the facilities to do so safely) and try it! Worst case scenario, hand your glasses to a friend or your instructor and have at it. If it's too distressing, take your glasses back.

I realized when I tried riding "blind" how much I depend on my vision. Too much, really. Riding without my glasses now and then reminds me to use my other senses to really feel what's going on with my horse. That's the idea behind "soft eyes".

I used to be 20/-650 in both eyes before lasiks and right before my first prelim, I got an eye infection. I could not wear but one contact for several months. I finished 2 prelim courses with only one contact. My trainer thought only having one eye was helpful to me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    I realized when I tried riding "blind" how much I depend on my vision. Too much, really. Riding without my glasses now and then reminds me to use my other senses to really feel what's going on with my horse. That's the idea behind "soft eyes".
    True. And it helped me feel what was going on with myself, too. My instructor tells me I don't normally have a good sense of what's going on with my body. Riding blind helped me pay better attention to the sensations of what was happening with my body and my horse's body.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson