The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Xctrygirl, we did make the alternate developing riders list this year. Interested to hear your hypothesis.

Simbalism, thats very interesting! I wish I had the guts to try the acupuncture, I'm terrified of needles! My body tends to shut down on me anytime I get shots for anything

I thought the quinolone data was old, and thought to be only beagles--they're using them in kids now, which is why I thought that.

I hope you heal quickly, RLS.
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

The quinolone data are old, but achilles tendon rupture in humans after treatment with these drugs is real and not rare. I've seen easily half a dozen and I don't even typically ask people about their tendons as a rule!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLetterSales View Post
    Xctrygirl, we did make the alternate developing riders list this year. Interested to hear your hypothesis.
    You're not going to like my thoughts, but here goes. Well when we talked about the lists I mentioned that we might see people making poor choices for themselves/their horses. I agree fully with what BFNE said. You won't be successful at Rolex if you don't prioritize your own health. If your horse had a strain in its tendon would you push on him for the glory of his success as a horse? The answer would almost surely be "no." So then why push your own body when it's telling you it needs a break.

Others have said it on this thread as well. You need to put yourself first. This isn't the kind of thing that can be just ridden through.

Also, if you're not 100% during a 4* do you think your horse is going to have the best shot to do its best? Packers are great and have a place in the progression of an eventing career, but not on the biggest stage we have.

I'd say find a way to stop at least for a couple weeks. Get a friend to ride your horses and find a laser or some alternative therapy that can try to get your tendon healthier. But also start planning a fall back trip to Jersey. It's not a championship year, so running a 4* in the spring is not as critical as running one in the fall. Also... if you are on a list, I'd likely advise you to advise David of this asap.

Excuses come in March. Problems arising in January can be sorted and worked with.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Well, your right, I don't like your thoughts. As far as riding right now, I don't feel that I need to explain myself to you but will say that if my body was in a place that I knew I couldn't give my horse 100% around a four star I wouldn't go. Also, please not he's not a "packer", I've worked hard to build a seven year partnership with him and brought him through the levels myself. Giving him the best ride is first and foremost in my mind.

As far as speaking with David and my plans for next year, I can assure you everyone from David to my coaches is informed and involved in the well being of both me and my horse.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice, I've got some new ideas and plans to keep this thing from getting out of control. Thanks again everybody.

RLS--my point was more at the very beginning, if you can rest it at least a little, you will get it in a better place faster. I had some similar issues when I was younger. The times I rested early on allowed me to fully recover much much faster. It sucks, but this is January. It is not as critical of a time for your training for Rolex. So better to take a little time now than if it gets worse and you are forced to rest in March when it is more critical that you ride. After you rest it a little...then do everything you can to keep it from getting worse.

But I do understand when that is your livelihood. Having worked through a lot of injuries....and started having chronic issues by my mid 20s...it is one of the reasons I do not do horses for a living anymore.

meanwhile....ice, ice, ice. I also did hot/cold early on...damn that hurts. If you can snag a lazer or ultrasound that might help. Too bad on the acupuncture...that has worked for me too. Just close your eyes when they work on you
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Hmmmmmmm......
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Any reason you couldn't have a walking boot for the time you spend not riding?
    Click here before you buy.

DO. NOT. RIDE.

Seriously.

I partially tore my achilles tendon over the summer, having torn it in 2010 and dealt with problems since then.

I made a complete recovery in about 6 months (including regaining fitness) this time around, as opposed to really never recovering the first time.

The difference? This time, I finally gave in and rested. I only had to take one week off riding entirely, and about a month off jumping. Once I started riding again, I had it properly taped. And by properly, I mean with the full layer of tape underneath an Ace bandage. It's not comfortable or streamlined, but it keeps the healing tendon from being damaged again.

Yes, it does suck to not be able to ride for a little while. But it is worth it to fully heal. Your trainers, owners, and sponsors will understand if they're worth your time.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.