The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Eventing Rules for 2013

FAQ About Rules

Actual 2013 Rules

I haven't had time to read more than the FAQ or the Preamble yet. The Preamble includes 'transitory rules', in effect for 2013 but not allowed for 2014.

Interesting things:

CICs will be suggested to run with XC as the final phase for 2013, and required to run with XC as the final phase for 2014. I'm really fine with this, as I would love to see the trend be towards two or even one day CICs if possible, and that can't happen without XC running last.

CI qualifications (Still assuming CI means both CIC and CCI) never expire for a pair. I find that great for me, and assuages a lot of my worries about new extra qualifications. The money and time can be spread out over a longer period.

Questions I still have:

Do qualifications obtained in the past but not yet expired ever expire under the new rules?

Do qualifications obtained in the past that ARE expired come back into play? (For example, under the new rules, I need a CCI* or a CIC* to move up the FEI levels. Well I have them, with the same horse, from 2009, so they are currently expired. Are they now un-expired, or am I required to go back and get them?)

Do qualifications obtained under the old rules need additional shows to have the correct foundation under them, so to say? (For example, I have a friend who has two CIC** and a CCI** qualifications, but she never did a CIC*/CCI*. Does she now have to go get a one star?)

Just some preliminary thoughts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    Questions I still have:

Do qualifications obtained in the past but not yet expired ever expire under the new rules?

Do qualifications obtained in the past that ARE expired come back into play? (For example, under the new rules, I need a CCI* or a CIC* to move up the FEI levels. Well I have them, with the same horse, from 2009, so they are currently expired. Are they now un-expired, or am I required to go back and get them?)

Do qualifications obtained under the old rules need additional shows to have the correct foundation under them, so to say? (For example, I have a friend who has two CIC** and a CCI** qualifications, but she never did a CIC*/CCI*. Does she now have to go get a one star?)

Just some preliminary thoughts so far.
    Ah ha! MY first two questions are answered in section 517, where it says:

"NOTE: All MERs obtained in previous years will be counted according to the rules in place at that time."

So it looks like any FEI competitions a rider has completed in the past with the same horse are valid. I believe this also answers my third question, as well. Since the CIC** and CCI** MER were valid at the time, they remain valid even though there is no CIC*/CCI*. But since a one star is not required to do a CIC3* or CCI3*, the next step on the pyramid, she does not have to go back and get a one star.

Also valid in 520.1 is this statement:

"NOTE: Any Athlete that has obtained a MER in 2012 or before as an combination is automatically qualified to compete at the same type / level of Competition in 2013."

So I can definitely compete at a CIC2* since I have a MER at a CIC2*. It still doesn't say anywhere explicitly about old MERs either not expiring if they haven't yet, or coming back into play if they have. But I read the note I posted in my first reply as basically all MERs obtained with the same combination count no matter how far back they were obtained.

This is all still in flux. The rules, especially for the "transition yeasr" of 2013, have not yet been finalized.

So hold on till they are.

My understanding from the USEA meeting (which may be wrong, and may be changed before things are finalized) about your questions are
    My understanding is that they will not expire.

My understanding is that they are not expired, but that you must have at least one qualification within the last year (not sure if that is 12 months or calendar year) so you WOULD need toget one NEW one

That is one of the things that they are working on. My understanding is that the USEF has officially requested a "grandfather clause", so that, if you were qualified under the 2012 rues on Dec 31 2012, you remain qualified for 2013 (but not necessarily 2014). Reading between the lines, and the body language, I don't think they were particulary optimistic that it would be granted, though something similar was done the last time there was a major change.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    This is all still in flux. The rules, especially for the "transition yeasr" of 2013, have not yet been finalized.

So hold on till they are.

My understanding from the USEA meeting (which may be wrong, and may be changed before things are finalized) about your questions are
    If they are still not finalized, why is the FEI putting up their full 2013 rulebook online? There's information in the 2013 pdf about the transition year. USEF High Performance is reporting them official as well.

My understanding is that they are not expired, but that you must have at least one qualification within the last year (not sure if that is 12 months or calendar year) so you WOULD need toget one NEW one
    So basically since my MER at a CIC2* is from 2011, it is still valid as an MER but I need to obtain another CIC2* this year as well? That's not a huge deal as that was on the schedule for me.

However, I don't see where in the FEI rules it requires a qualification within 12 months. Is this something that is still being finalized and will be added to the FEI rules? Is it a USEF requirement, and that's why I haven't seen it?

That is one of the things that they are working on. My understanding is that the USEF has officially requested a "grandfather clause", so that, if you were qualified under the 2012 rues on Dec 31 2012, you remain qualified for 2013 (but not necessarily 2014). Reading between the lines, and the body language, I don't think they were particulary optimistic that it would be granted, though something similar was done the last time there was a major change.
    My understanding too was that this grandfathering concept would not be allowed by the FEI. But not being grandfathered to be eligible to compete at a certain competition is NOT the same as saying all of the old qualifications are not longer valid. For instance, under the grandfathering idea, I would be eligible to enter a CCI2*, since I was eligible on Dec 31 2012. However, under the new rules, I need another CIC2*. If I were grandfathered, I could enter a CCI2* without obtaining a second CIC2*. That doesn't mean my CIC2* is no good anymore, just that I need one more. That is how I interpret the grandfathering concept, please correct me if that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    If they are still not finalized, why is the FEI putting up their full 2013 rulebook online? There's information in the 2013 pdf about the transition year. USEF High Performance is reporting them official as well.
    Who knows?

All I know was that one of the USEF committee /USEA BoG members was on a call at 1AM (Thursday night/Friday morning IIRC), and at teh meeting the next morning said there were some things not yet resolved.

So basically since my MER at a CIC2* is from 2011, it is still valid as an MER but I need to obtain another CIC2* this year as well? That's not a huge deal as that was on the schedule for me.

However, I don't see where in the FEI rules it requires a qualification within 12 months. Is this something that is still being finalized and will be added to the FEI rules? Is it a USEF requirement, and that's why I haven't seen it?
    Probably still being finalized. It was stated, IIRC, by the person on the 1 AM phone call.

My understanding too was that this grandfathering concept would not be allowed by the FEI. But not being grandfathered to be eligible to compete at a certain competition is NOT the same as saying all of the old qualifications are not longer valid. For instance, under the grandfathering idea, I would be eligible to enter a CCI2*, since I was eligible on Dec 31 2012. However, under the new rules, I need another CIC2*. If I were grandfathered, I could enter a CCI2* without obtaining a second CIC2*. That doesn't mean my CIC2* is no good anymore, just that I need one more. That is how I interpret the grandfathering concept, please correct me if that is wrong.
    I agree they are two separate things.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The USEF 2013 rules are out now.

Here.

I've only looked over the qualification stuff which starts on page 72 for FEI. National qualifications are mostly unchanged I think. Most interesting thing is that one of the qualifying results must be within twelve months of the FEI event you wish to enter. However, it looks to me like that within twelve month result can either be an FEI requirement (involving *'s) or a USEF requirement (P, I, A). So that helps a lot as well.

Biggest changes are for CICs. You now only need ONE Preliminary to enter a CIC*. For a CIC2*, you need three Prelims (or higher) and an Intermediate. For a CIC3*, you only need two Intermediates (and no Advanceds!).

CCI stuff I believe is mostly unchanged, four Prelims for a CCI*, two Intermediates for a CCI2*, and two Advanceds for a CCI3*.

I have to say I think it's pretty strange that you can now run a CIC3* without ever running an Advanced. Hopefully most would not choose a CIC3* as their first Advanced.

My head hurts...thx.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Here's hoping some of that filters down to the 1/2 * , 1/4 star level!

Strikes me as exceedingly odd that a completely new to eventing pair could have a T as their first event, but would need to complete 4 N w QR to be eligible for a N3d. If we're trying to keep the long format alive at the lower levels, conforming to a no-longer-existing FEI set of hoops serves what purpose??

/end hijack/

3 members found this post helpful.