The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That sounds like great news! The oil is passing through! Jingles he comes home this weekend.

Good grief!! The world can turn upside down in a flash. We're across the road sending our very best healing thoughts!!!

I pray that your Bro is over his impaction and can come home.

Colic is always scary. My mare had regular episodes for several years. (Knocking on wood, it has been two years since she has had one.) Several of the episodes required a stay in a Vet clinic.

Getting horses to drink enough water in the Winter is often a problem. My mare loves warm water. She will drink 3/4 of a bucket, several times a day, if the water is warm. She wants it warm in the summer too. Go figure? Whatever it takes to keep colic at bay, I am willing to do!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default Jingles & AO continue for Brolio ~

Nice Saturday morning report !!!

Jingles & AO continue for Brolio !~ ((hugs)) for his family ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

1 members found this post helpful.

Good news! I am happy to hear that he is moving things along better. I was so thrilled at my gelding's first poo (which took almost two days to happen) that I posted pictures on Facebook.

I hope Bro continues to make poo and continues to improve. Impaction colics are scary.
    Sheilah

YAHOO!
    Hoping for continued improvement for Bro and a good night's sleep for you.

UPDATE 12/30:

I saw Brolio for a short visit yesterday afternoon at the clinic. He seemed happy to see someone NOT vet trained and was nosing my pockets with his muzzle on for treats of any kind. He was the only horse there this weekend, so he was a little bored and was staring longingly out the window watching the snow storm and cars slowly driving by. He was content enough that I gave him lots of head scritches and neck rubs, even letting DH pet him.

Last evening I got the daily report saying that he had no more pain episodes that day was no longer on pain meds. Unfortunately, he still hadn't passed the impaction, but it was getting softer and he was leaving some small piles. They were hoping he would have passed it during the day and could start to introduce food yesterday. We'd see in the morning whether or not he'd being staying another night...

9AM I get the morning report, more manure in the stall, still sans pain meds and vitals are still holding at normal ranges, rectal still says not all of impaction gone, but smaller and softer, also nothing in his small intestine (what could there be, he hasn't eaten anything since 8am Friday!). He got to have a small flake of hay, which he ate happily (I'm sure he probably inhaled the thing in 0.2s!!). Plan is to continue monitoring him today with more food being introduced and he can come home this afternoon if all keeps going well!!

Got a call from my normal vet (she was on vacation and also got stuck in the original snowstorm), asking how Bro was doing and apologizing for not being there. I'm lucky I'm in an area where there are multiple, competant equine vets so that should one be out of town/sick/injured/busy another can swoop in to make the save. The clinic has been in contact with my normal vet and has kept her updated on Bro's condition and subsequent treatment.

So glad to hear things are looking up!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad you are heading in the right direction. Time for more "Poop Prayers"!! Get yourself some sleep, too!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma