The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frozen advice

I am looking into breeding using frozen this Spring but I don't want to buy a container and to have to maintain one. Just something more to look after. What are the options? One frozen dealer that I spoke to very matter of factly said that she was not a storage facility and that if I didn't have the appropriate set up that I shouldn't be breeding. NICE

Not doing business with that person box checked.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Big frozen semen (for cattle) handlers often store frozen semen cheaply by the month. Vets may also store it, for a monthly fee. My vet stores my semen for free. However, I do quite a bit of business with her (not just one breeding per year). Ask other breeders in your area how/where they store their semen.

My vet stores my semen for a low annual fee. I looked into buying a container and I would have to breed for many, many more years to make that purchase worthwhile.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

My vet stores my semen for free. I don't keep it from year to year typically. I buy it and use it in the same season.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

My vet stores for free, but I only buy what I intend to use that year also. I ordered from Majestic Gaits, and Kathy was fabulous about coordinating shipments with the vet and it all went off without a hitch.

My vet also stores for free, and let's me use his shipper to save on costs (I send ground to pick up semen). I really appreciate his kindness

So it appears this is currently a short term option you do not need to pay storage if i am right pay the shipper their fee or the stallion owner their money and tell them when you need it who does not like cash up front. If you want to buy a number of different stallions semen then you need to find (sorry if obvious) a person happy to help.

Obviously, easiest would be if your vet could store it. However, Hawkeye Breeders in Iowa stores frozen semen for literally pennies and their shipping fees are incredibly reasonable. That's where I store all of mine and they handle all the shipping for clients as needed. They are incredibly professional and experienced (they are a gene bank for cattle, hogs and deer!!!!!!!!).

I don't buy many doses of semen a year. However, if I buy two doses of semen and get lucky and the mare gets pregnant on one, I then have a dose of semen to store. Last year I bought semen from a stallion that was sold in a lot of three doses, so I have a dose left. This has happened to me fairly often, so I usually have a few doses living at my vet's place. So, I would be sure it isn't prohibitively expensive to have semen with whatever vet you use, or the ability to move semen to someplace that will store inexpensively.

Most vets will store frozen for free for the initial season you are breeding with it. As Clint stated, it can get quite expensive if you need longer term storage so be sure to check upfront.

Honestly, an experienced vet makes such a huge difference in conception rates that if your vet does not handle enough frozen to have a tank at their facility, do yourself a favor and find another vet.

2 members found this post helpful.