The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The one I knew was tied to a single ring on the back wall of the stall and he'd always turn himself so he faced the door on the same side. For tacking he'd usually be tied but for mounting he was out in the aisleway and held.

My mare went completely nuts if she thought her head was caught. Absolutely freaking nuts. Apart from that, which happened about twice in a couple of years, she'd fall asleep tied up for the farrier, grooming and tacking up.

I'd say two weeks is too soon to be making a "devil horse" assessment. I'd suggest 90 days and a bit of watchfulness on OP's part.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

my OTTB will tie in a stall or with a wall behind her but not in the open, she freaked out the first couple times I was stupid enough to try it and now she knows exactly how much force is required to slowly bend a brass heavey duty spring clip open, step forward so it falls off the halter and stand JUST out of range of what ever object she was tied to as if to say "Neener Neener Neeeeener- You Can't Make Me!" Don't give her room to back up and she's fine... but if she can, she will.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I had a horse that was OTTB that tied 90% of the time, but the other 10% he panicked. Getting a pro to assess, who is there to actually see your horse (vs. us) might also be a good idea. Plus he/she may calm down hubby.

Personally, I would only tie her with Blocker ties (very high) and be careful. It is probably a learned behavior to freak out at this point. This is not the same thing as teaching a young horse to tie and your methods and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

I had a horse have a meltdown once and destroy a (brick) stall. Seriously scary stuff. He was upset about a new horse and was out-of-his mind irrational, but what I didn't know at the time is he also had ulcers and they were exacerbating everthing. Just one more thing to consider is some strange physical pain or ulcers. Treated the ulcers and it was like a different animal.
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: bc I can't spell
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My racehorses almost all tie but the ones that don't get pretty violent... my new ones to me are given some time to settle in before i expect them to be normal well adjusted creatures..remembers tbs especially mares can be temperamental and hot... I always pay attention to each individual and if they need extra time before we tie them or expect normalcy then they get it. Most of mine even cross tie with no problems.
    Sounds like she could benefit from a pro though
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Every young horse-especially TBs- allow you 3 ER visits. Atleast one will be in hospital with surgery. Damage negotiable.

7 members found this post helpful.

All I can is if you decide to keep her, wear a helmet around her at all times.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

YOu might try tying her with one of these. http://www.smartpakequine.com/blocke...FQixnQodqVkA_g

They do work best with a round rope not a lat lead line
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/blocke..._-NA&cm_vc=Rec
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Sounds like he is concerned for your safety. Do you have kids? This mare sounds like she has a screw loose somewhere since she has flipped out several times.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Every young horse-especially TBs- allow you 3 ER visits. Atleast one will be in hospital with surgery. Damage negotiable.
    *snort*. Give me a Barn full of young tb's, even OTTB's, but keep your qh's! I want no part of THEM!!! Personal experiences, too many bad ones. I've been an exercise rider here in NY on and off for longer than I care to admit, and either at the track, or at the farm, they all tie. In. A stall, not on the aisle, or cross tied.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

My first very own horse was an OTTB. He did not know how to tie although he faked it most of the time. He broke many a thing (trailer doors, cross ties) before I got wise and tied tiny loops of baling twine to his halter that we snapped the cross ties to. I trained him to stand by himself with no ties at all, which helped a lot. Over time he became so much better, but 1% of the time, he would pull back and break the tiny ties. No big deal.

My big regret though was letting my trainer when I was 15 have the idea to "sack him out" at an unbreakable hitching post with unbreakable rope (ran electric wire through the snap instead the rope). Might work on a foal, but my 1000 horse wrenched his neck that way trying to free himself which probably caused us problems for years after. And it did not solve the tying problem!

I posted this response recently to another....I have found no need to tie my horses and have stopped tying them about 25 years ago. There is always a level of risk involved when you tie regardless of the horse. Perhaps you can find a way of working with your horse without the need to tie her to something? Good luck to you, I hope you find the solution you need.

Being a racehorse owner, breeder with a trainer husband, I would agree with most of the posters that racehorses usually are straight-tied (not cross tied) in the back of the stall to be groomed and tacked.

I would NOT cross tie, or tie in a stall unattended until you have actually trained the mare to tie. When you do start cross-tying, I would suggest that you use twine between the halter and the cross-tie, do not use anything that can snap back and pop her or you in the eye, and have a lead rope hooked on and someone nearby to help actually TEACH her how to tie. Not a really quick process, but important.

What would concern me is the level of the freak out here. Again, I'd need to know more about the mare (age, how fit, general temperament, amount of feed vs. amount of work she is getting, etc,).

If she were mine, I would not tie her other than in the stall to tack up, and I would most likely send her to a trainer (one who will not force her or yahoo her and has good results with OTTBs).

She could have had a bad experience (some are wacky from having been on hot walkers and cutting up on them), or she could just be young and fresh and something set her off, or she could indeed have a screw loose. Any way you slice it, more time is needed to see what she will really be like.

Good luck, stay safe, and if you are not in a position to evaluate and train this mare, I hope you can find an appropriate place for her...

My OTTB would flip out tied just when it had been enough time since the last episode that I thought he wouldn't do it anymore. Likes to keep me on my toes. Now he only wears leather haters and straight ties to blocker tie rings. No problems since I got those tie rings. I think they give just enough.