The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Husband now wants me to get rid of horse I just got :( *sigh*

My new OTTB mare I just got 2 weeks ago has been (mostly) an angel since she came to the farm she is great under saddle, a fast learner, not the best mover but decent. I love her, DH liked her well enough.

Well this morning we had an incident where she threw a fit while tied up and obliterated a small pony stall we have (had) built (no animal in it). I mean not just kicked it down, but stomped it into splinters. Horse came out without a scratch and I had plenty of room to get out of the way, but DH now hates her and wants me to get rid of her. She has only thrown a fit (not nearly as bad) once before because my other horse nipped her. Other horse was outside today though.

Sounds unreasonable to ask me to get rid of her. There isn't an OTTB out there that is perfect, her good points outweigh the one bad thing, and with work that could be solved too.

Was there anything you could tell that caused the freak out? Was the other horse calling to her from outside? Was she straight tied or cross tied?

I think it is unreasonable to get rid of her for this, maybe he just needs to cool off and realize that with horses, things happen and things get broken. Glad she came out unscathed!

2 members found this post helpful.

It is great that your husband is concerned about your safety; however, one freak incident does not mean she is a bad or unsafe horse. It does call for you to be extremely careful around her to make sure it was/is an isolated incident. If something similar happens again you husband may have a valid argument.

I got majoryly dumped by a new mare this spring. My girlfriend watched the whole incident happen and we still cannot figure out what caused it. The whole incident was completely out of character and nothing has happend since. I must admit I am still a little more cautious with her than my other two.

My SO watched as I pretty much fell ass over tea kettle off my horse this past summer. He didn't dream of asking me to get rid of her (and honestly, I don't think she did anything wrong - it was like I had a spell or something). He did ask me to ride with a helmet, though, which I'm perfectly willing to do since I had a bruise on my head for over a month.

Give your husband a few days to calm down and then talk to him about it again. He'll probably see he was being a bit unreasonable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not far from here a woman was killed when her horse kicked her in the head for no reason. Turns out it had kicked and injured its previous owner also, and when it kicked its NEXT owner, someone wised up and shot it.

Quirky behavior is one thing, but reducing a stall to SPLINTERS? If you hadn't been able to get out of the way, would she have avoided pulverizing you (there is 'scared horse' and then there is 'horse that freaks out so badly it loses all awareness of its surroundings' and those are DANGEROUS). Do you have a definite idea of the 'trigger' for her psychotic breaks, so you actually know precisely what to avoid or what to work on?

I have ridden and worked with and fixed many horses deemed difficult and/or dangerous. (Not a one of them was an OTTB, despite riding dozens--so far the most serious issue I've encountered in an OTTB has been cribbing.). I am continually baffled by the amount of tears owners are willing to shed over nutty horses. There are a lot of nice horses out there.....

Jennifer

20 members found this post helpful.

I say give her a little more time to settle and prove herself, but do pay attention to Third Charm's post.

My lovely little TB mare was hated by all because she genuinely needed a chain over her nose for the first few months, and bounced around like a little balloon. I must have said, exasperated, "She's THREE! She's a BABY!" at least seventeen times a day. Six months later, she is now the perfect angel and the chain has been put away, but people still give her the stink eye, poor thing.
    Well isn't this dandy?

4 members found this post helpful.

Tough one. I guess any horse can panic, and if she couldn't get away... major panic.

When I was a kid I had a cantankerous pony who was somewhat evil but really just wanted to get out of working... not dangerous. He didn't spook or panic. He wasn't afraid of anything. One time we went to a weekend show and the first night he was fine in his stall. The second day after classes, he REFUSED to go back in the stall. No idea why. Various people tried to shove him in, he wasn't having it, and seemed genuinely terrified. Instructor finally shoehorns him into this stall (which was very spacious for the little guy) and he FLIPPED OUT. Throwing himself against the wall, kicking, screaming. Eventually this small (12 hand?) pony CLIMBED over the solid wooden door (these were not temporary stalls.) I have this image in my mind of him hanging 1/2 way over the stall door on his tummy before wriggling out.

My mom ended up sleeping in a lawn chair holding his lead rope that night, rather than try to force him back in. No idea why that happened, and nothing like that ever happened before or after.

I guess I would want to know more about the details of the incident. Did you actually see her do it? Have you tied her before? (OTTB makes me suspicious she doesn't know how to tie by herself)

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty serious "fit." You mention she's had one other fit in the two weeks you've had her. That kind of behavior (completely destroying a stall, not just kicking a board or two down) would make me really nervous. Especially if you don't know what he trigger was. I don't blame your hubby!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

6 members found this post helpful.

2 weeks, 2 "fits" where in one incident she in fact destroys a stall is not a good record. Was she actually IN the pony stall at the time?
    In her defense, she's in a new place so I'd be inclined to keep giving her a chance. You don't mention how old (I'm assuming young?)
    I don't know you at all, but I can understand your husband's concern... how much experience you have with horses would be a big factor here. Did he build the stalls? Recently? I can see how he would be a little miffed.

Two fits in two weeks does sound like trouble...
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

4 members found this post helpful.

Most OTTBs straight tie perfectly. You may own the exception. I would set up a safe scenario and find out, you need to know. Be careful!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The stall was there when we moved in, DH didn't build it, she was tied next to it. I was there and it almost seemed like she freaked MORE when she knew she couldn't get away. I've had horses that didn't tie well before but not at this place, they seemed to eventually work it out on their own. She normally ties well too. I suspect the trigger to the fit this time was the other horse neighing at her, although still not acceptable. She was swishing her tail before she did it too so I did had warning to get back away.
    When I had her delivered she had snapped the lead rope she was tied with in the trailer so she may have had an episode in the trailer as well, not sure.

Do they not tie racehorses at the track???

Glad you're alright! I can understand why your hubby would be concerned. Do you know what set her off? Do you still feel safe working with her?

I'd try to figure out why she got so panicked and make sure that you are able to structure her environment so you both feel safe. She may well calm down after you've had her a bit longer but I would be extra careful with her while you see if she settles.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Default Glad no one was injured ~ Be Careful ~ Jingles & AO she settles in ~

Glad no one was injured ~ be careful !

Jingles & AO she settles into the routine quickly ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by manentail View Post
    Do they not tie racehorses at the track???
    A lot of times they are groomed and tacked (very quickly) in stalls. My OTTB can be wonky when in cross ties or tied, but never actually flips his lid. Just gets anxious, antsy, and dances around. Thank goodness you are okay. Other than the trailer episode and this episode, was the first fit when she was tied? If so you at least know to be cautious when she is tied!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolfe001 View Post

My mom ended up sleeping in a lawn chair holding his lead rope that night, rather than try to force him back in.
    No comments other than stay safe, and omg! Your mom rocks whitewolf!

3 members found this post helpful.

They do stright tie them at the track. But your horse may not have accepted it. If this is, including the trailer, incident three then I susoect your horse does not tie

---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Was she actually raced or trained for it? She might associate being tied with getting ready to run, and she expected to be tied, saddled, and go for a run right after, and freaked at being tied.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Husband isn't unreasonable . Nice horses can hurt you. A crazed horse is a major risk.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Was she actually raced or trained for it? She might associate being tied with getting ready to run, and she expected to be tied, saddled, and go for a run right after, and freaked at being tied.
    She would have been tied at other times, and not every time she was was ridden would she have galloped. Race horses also walk trot and canter
    ---