The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Plans FloorPlans help....

Hey Guys..
    I need some help here. My Nephew is in his last year of college and desires to get into Agricultral Architect. His project is to design and plan out a entire farm layout.
    He is right now " Trying" to design a barn. It must be 8-10 stalls.
    Do you have any FloorPlans . or where can he get some ideas to use as references..

Thanks you all who reply...
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

Just type in "horse barn", "8 horse barn", "barn design/layout" etc into Google. There are tons of examples. What a neat project, and good luck to him!

This site has all sorts of plans done by students I believe, some for larger 8-10 stall barns:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_of...ng_plans/barn/

My husband actually modified a plan we found on this site to build our barn.

Another similar site:

http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/...PlanList97.htm
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Tell him the tack room HAS to be bigger

Personally I like larger stalls, easier to keep clean, less stirring. Outside access stall doors (fire). Run-in/run-out access to paddocks! Roof overhangs! Barnyard perimeter fencing (to contain escapees). Real stairs to loft spaces. Drive up access for delivery/vet/farrier. Trailer turn arounds! Plan space for planting money trees ......
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

2 members found this post helpful.

The small family barn where I ride has some interesting features he might like to include. The barn is 36' square - quite spacious for the 2 horses and 2 ponies who live there. 12' aisle down the middle, full 12' sliding doors on both ends. Front part has 12'x12' tack room to the left of the aisle, 12'x12' feed room to the right of the aisle (with full stairs to the hay loft). Stock gate separates this part of the barn from the rest. Stall section of the barn "can" be divided into 4 stalls (2 on each side of the aisle), however they have hinged the stall dividers so they can be left open as larger 12'x24' areas (and normally are). The right side of the barn also has a full length run in shed attached and the right side stalls have dutch stall doors that can open into the run in shed. Rear of run in shed is open to the pasture.

The two horses live out 24/7 with as much access to the barn as they like, but mostly choose to be outside. Depending on the grass, the ponies are sometimes dry penned in a sacrifice paddock, in which case they are brought inside at night into the double box stall on the left side of the aisle. Since the snow fell, they've been back out with the horses and all 4 have free access to the entire stall/aisle area.

I use the aisle area between the tack room and the feed room (sectioned off with the stock gate) as a grooming/tacking area, since I found that the other horse & the ponies coming in and out at will would bother whichever horse I was trying to work with if I used the aisle area between the stalls.

It's really nice in summer that both end sliding doors can be opened up for airflow through the barn, while the stock gate keeps the horses contained to the stall area accessible from the pasture.

I am professional Architect and Planner and can actually provide some basic advice on this matter:

Start by assessing and locating the ideal site where the building is to lie. There are several types of floor plan layouts that can work - H shape, L shape, I shape, U shape, or even an O shape (this incorporates a central courtyard where the stalls are built around). Stalls generally tend to be built in modules (i.e. 10x10, 12x12 or 14x14, etc.). An aisleway, or main circulation route (depending on your floorplan layout) is generally 12' wide minimum (can the module pattern). Remember that basically any efficient stable should have enough wash stalls (also following the same stall module) to accomodate # of horses on property. Feed, Storage and Tack rooms can also follow the module but placement can vary. Barn office, laundry room and accomodations for barn staff are also beneficial. Often times, utilities and services of the barn are located off to a side or back of the stable (for farm equipment, shavings, storage and manure piles) but MUST have a road access for necessary vehicles. Provide ample turn around and parking space for horse trailers into vehicular circulation pattern. Turnout paddocks can be laid out in various schemes depending on the topography of the site.

Of course, given a certain budget and client needs, the design of the stable and surrounding property can vary aethetically and functionally. For example, incorporating an indoor arena into a path to the stable so the rider/horse doesnt step out into inclement weather. It really depends on the function of the stable being built.

These are just basics - and there are much more details. As George Morris always says..."People, its all in the details!" I hope that helps.

3 members found this post helpful.

Shouldn't he be doing his OWN research??? So much of education is learning to find out things. If he expects to satisfy clients, he has to learn how to interview clients so he can design something suitable, also.

7 members found this post helpful.

I ended up with a bit of a center courtyard and like it a lot - stalls open into auxilliary aisles which open into the couryard, which then opens to the indoor, the tack/feed/shop and to the outside. Auxiliary aisels, of course, open to outside also. All of my doors are commercial garage doors. One is a roll up door so that the hardware doesn't protrude over the top. I think farm layout is much more difficult than barn design. One thing I value is a way to ride around the perimeter or the property. This would be even more important imo for smaller properties. This could also be used for turnout when you want to incoporate the idea of horses moving - this is an idea that was discussed in some book on the subject.

I have my own drawing of my future/I pray barn. I'd gladly send you a copy. Just PM me your email.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

http://barnpros.com/

This site has tons of plans

If he wants to design great barns tell him to go work as a groom at a big barn for a month during the rainy cold season. Funny, you can pretty much tell in the first 30 seconds of walking into a barn if the designer had any hands on experience working in one. It only takes one morning with 10 wet and muddy blankets to remember the rest of your design life that you need to plan for that...

2 members found this post helpful.

A 21-22y/o ADULT in his last year of college should be able to do the basic research himself, rather than steal other designers' layouts. Refer him to the many ag extension websites for basic dimensions, go out and interview some "constituents", and he can go from there.
    In theory, yes, but the difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality but, in reality, there is a difference.

3 members found this post helpful.

I designed the floor plan of my two barns. Someone said to me count the number of steps you want to take to do every day tasks. That is a VERY smart idea!

Really, how many steps do you want to take or want to pay someone else to take to work your barn? As few as possible. That includes getting to the manure spreader too.

I just have 6 stalls, grooming area, wash stall, tack room, feed area, bathroom in the one barn and four stalls and hay storage in the other.

It all works very well and there isn't much I would change.

Beambarns has some nice plans in there too.

Is there a web site where a person can design their own barn on line??? I always use graph paper, but on line would be nice!!! I've done 6 barn layouts over the years..12 stalls to 34 stalls. Early on you can figure out what works best for the people and the horses. Hope my next project is my LAST project.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

There are tons of floorplans out there but things he should ACCOUNT for:
    1. Prevailing winds and climate - if in Florida Heat is the "normal" so you want a 12-14 ft roof fline where heat can rise and excape under the eaves, and a light colored roof (and barn sides). Up north it would be more snow and ice and/or mud/clay, etc.
    2. Traffic patterns need to be taken into account - the most "routine" way you will use the barn then farrier, vet, turn-out (open stalls and they are in pasture vs lead line to pasture), exceptions, etc.
    3. Size of the horses - mini's vs drafts (stall size, aisle size, etc.
    4. Barn use - breeding operation, boarding, personal use, lessons
    5. Safety - fire extinguishers, bedding material, hay storage
    6. Tack room - size, layout
    7. Security - You want more than one deterrent between horses and feed, horses and highways, etc.
    8. Equipment storage. I store my truck, trailer and tractor inside the barn, as well as my driving buggy, my hay, etc...
    Sandy in Fla.