The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with the shift to the internet, texting, and all other remote forms of communication, coupled with our innate discomfort with confrontation. Couple that with our throw-away, screw it, bite me mentality. People don't connect as tightly as they once did, I'm not sure why, but some of it is the notion that how many people "friend" you on FB is someone a measure of who you are as a person, and things like that. So many things are now now now...nothing is about 'this might take time.'

And...communication is killed by the written word...it's one thing to not be sure how to talk to ONE person about a tough subject. It's something else to not know how to talk to anyone about ANY tough subject. We've throttled back real emotion to emoticons at best, silence if you're lucky, and true harm if you're having a really, really, really bad day.

And the average teen sends 3000 texts a month. That doesn't count as communication.
    Yes. I think this is a continuation of what I meant. There is no actual communication along with this continual desensitization to any sort of moral filters. There is such a huge disconnect with reality.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a stressful day and I'm sick for the sixth week in a row-you guys have a coherent conversation without me... I agree with the majority every post that's been on here so far but I can't debate a thing tonight.

hang in there, I hate that you are STILL sick

I was never censored in what I could read/watch and I do recall reading some very graphic Stephen King novels when I was in my early teens. And yet I have never committed a remotely violent act--because I was raised right.

And those claiming the culture of violence is something new clearly haven't read any ancient literature or history. Tons and tons of violent stuff. The only difference between then and now is that guns make it possible to mow down multiple people in the frame of a few seconds, all without getting your hands dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Or better yet, modify NEITHER and fix the problem without taking anyone's rights away.
    By all means, please wave your magic wand and make it be so.

Your original argument was that guns are not responsible for these deaths, it's violence in the media. But when I pointed out that mandating violence be removed from tv/movies, etc. would violate the first amendment, now all of a sudden we should just leave everything as it is and it will magically get better. Keep dreaming.

Frizzle-I disagree with the idea that video games are the same as violence in the past. I have personally viewed some of these vidoe games and have ejected them and taken them away. They were very violent and on unsuspecting elements, likes animals. It isn't hunting it is shooting to kill whatever.

Boys are wired differently and they need to understand their world without the need for violence and respect for power and their role in this world.

I'm not saying I think violence in tv/movies/etc. is great, or that it's something I enjoy--I'm saying it's not responsible for people mowing down other people with assault rifles. I personally don't enjoy watching violent stuff, but I don't think it should be blamed for mass shootings.

And, yes, there has always been a culture of violence. Maybe there was a blip in the 50s/60s where you didn't see it on tv/movies, but there has always been violence in culture, in literature, in plays, etc. Always. Just pick up pretty much any ancient lit and you will see rape, gruesome murders, etc. It's nothing new.

Frizzle-have you watched the videos ? They are not what I was exposed to growing up. I don't think they are solely to blame but may have an influence with an already violent leaning kid. I know a teen who is violent, watches violent videos and is socially inept. We are worried.

Yes, SV I have seen games like Halo, etc. My (mid-30s) brother used to play them up until a few years ago. And he owns a gun, although it's certainly not anything even bordering on an assault rifle (and, yes, he believes those types of guns should not be readily available). I've also seen some clips of violent video games that have been shown on the news lately. I would not allow a young child to play games like that because they would probably cause quite a few nightmares, but I don't think they can be blamed for the deaths caused by mentally ill people who have easy access to assault weapons.

Just some random thoughts.....

The human animal evolved as a violent primate, history is full of violence. The only way to extinguish the violent causing parts of human DNA is to change the code to eliminate it. To accomplish that, violent traits would have to become a hindrance to survival, so the species could then naturally adapt to take on those non-violent traits that would increase the chances of survival over those who possessed the violent traits.

I'd speculate that the primary historic purpose of non-violent religious ideologies was to create an evolutionary pathway towards mitigating the potency of those genes that are responsible for violence, and provide for the creation of forms of society that find a greater total prosperity through a principle of cooperation and compassion, as opposed war lord and chiefdom based groups who prospered on pillaging their neighbors to obtian additional survival sustianing resources.

I don't think agricultural base society could have evolved without the mitigating forces provided by religious ideologies, and the legal tenants that subsequently grew out of them.

I think philosophically, that the concept of competition, is rooted in violence.

Evolution is about winners and losers, and so is competition.

Think of the state of mind of the athlete desiring to win. In order for one to win, the others must lose. The desire to win originates out of proving a worthiness for survival. A winner is seen as sexually attractive, and has greater potential to select a superior mate, to potentially produce offspring with the similar "winning" traits, of the "winning" parents.

Think of all the violent associations that we might derive out of some of the popular sports that exist in the world today.

Is winning an act of violence?

Surly to win a war one must use violence... no?

How dose one demarcate a point in the spectrum of what might be called the philosophy of winning, where the intent of participation becomes non-violent vs. violent.... Does a game of checkers contain an element of violence?

Is a loser in any aspiration for success not somehow effected negatively in failing to achieve the desired objective?

Of couse some understand that in the philosophy of failure there is the knowledge to better oneself.

But what happens in a society when the tolerance of those failures that must normally occur along the pathway of growing towards becoming a compassionate being, are replaced with false methods for achieving the "symbolic status" of success, without instilling those compassionate qualities that true winners use to return their knowledge of successfulness back to the society so that all may learn and grow from the success of the one.

When society holds those who gain some type of success in a false light of virtue, those who are devoid of compassion when gaining their success. Other members of society will subsequently aspire to gain success using methods that are devoid of compassion.

The mythology of heros often contains a lesson of finding compassion, and then finding success by realizing some fulfilling quality by living as a virtuous individual.

One may understand the nature of a society, by who the society tends to outwardly worship as their heros.

Just who are the heros of our society?

2 members found this post helpful.

For children, we as parents teach who the heros are. That is our job. I just don't think raising children is an easy job and we as a society suffer greatly when children are not guided with care by their parents or society. That is my point, what do we do as a society to help children be raised with a value set that makes them a treasure and an asset to society ?

I understand free speech but marketing to children is just unethical and for those children who do not have an active parent, what happens especially if they are already leaning towards violent behavior?

If you're going to have kids, it is your responsibility to raise them (that is a general "you" and "your" not specific) and teach them right from wrong. If you don't want that responsibility or can't handle it, don't have kids.

My mother was a grade school teacher for several decades. The father of one of her students got very irate with her because she was not teaching his child right from wrong. She rightly told him that that was HIS job; her job was teaching the child history, math, science, etc. Morality is not a school subject (and teachers already have more than enough on their hands!).

But the problem with lack of parenting is that it ends up costing society in a large way. Violent behavior costs all of us tons of money in correctional facilities and for some personally in violent crimes.

I agree that parents need to accept responsibility but when they don't we all shoulder the extreme costs.

Yes, parents need to be responsible for their children. Many today are not. They aren't in the home or they don't don't take the time and considerable effort to parent effectively. But society as a whole needs to support this parenting. What we see in mainstream media (tv, movies), in entertainment (movies, music, video games) needs to support the values that we as a society wish to live among.

To put in horsey terms, it's like clashing aids. It's confusing to a horse to spur him forward and at the same time yank on his mouth. It's confusing to a human to say "love one another," "communicate," "don't hit your brother" while a violent video game is on the computer and rap music glorifying violence against women is playing. I'm amazed that on the one hand we tell teenagers And now preteens that they aren't to engage in sex yet the music and tv shows that we watch is sex, sex, sex. It's unbelievable.

And in order for society to support the values that we wish to live among, our society needs to stop permitting this "anything goes because this is America and we have freedoms!" nonsense. Clashing aids people!

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Not that I disagree with your premise, OP. I think our culture has gotten incredibly violent and I think something needs to be done. I don't, however, agree that we should censor free speech and leave the guns alone.

I have to wonder if violence in media is a symptom of our violent culture, rather than the cause. Violent movies keep being made because people go see them. People go see them because they want to see violence. So which came first? I guarantee that if people lost interest in violent movies, they would probably stop making them.
    In noting that something needs to be done, we can be the actors here. If people turn away from violence and not support it with their money or their time, then perhaps the supply of violence in the culture will decrease. Or perhaps not.

There's a reason a lot of games are rated "M for Mature" just as some movies are rated R. So because some parents can't parent and let kids have whatever they want, we should ban them? It's something like over half of the adult population plays video games now. I have trouble believing that there are unsuspecting people still out there who are unaware that not all games are made for kids.
    I play a lot, and some of them are very violent. I also own a registered handgun. I don't have the slightest desire to ever use it.
    I was taught empathy as a child, I can tell right from wrong, and I can discern reality from fantasy. Video games, Stephen King novels, horror movies, whatever, have not turned me into a crazed maniac or even desensitized me to violence. The real world is just so much worse.
    You are what you dare.

I believe that Murder is morally wrong. Glorifying murder by "playing" it or simulating it in a video game is also wrong. Same goes for animal cruelty.

There are times when killing an animal is justified- for food or for protection. I prefer the Native American attitude towards killing an animal for food. It's one of respect and gratitude. Blasting an animal away for amusement is morally wrong to me.

During warfare, killing humans is going to happen. I suppose it would be justified by saying that it is done out of self defense or defense of property or life. Morally it's a very, very sad thing. Yes, children have been playing at warfare for hundreds of years and it's an important part of their socialization I suppose. But to go from playing with wooden swords to graphic slaughter with realistic blood spatter? Morally wrong to me.

If removing the graphic, violent "entertainment" from our culture deprives an individual of the "right" and the "pleasure" of partaking in it- meh- for the greater good, I'd say it needs to go.

It's like I told one of my students who was going to get her hair "ombre'd" this holiday season. "Dear, is that really the best use of your beauty dollar?" People, think about the best use of your child's play time. Think about the best use of your entertainment dollar. Nothing good can come from simulating murder and killing "for fun".

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    There's a reason a lot of games are rated "M for Mature" just as some movies are rated R. So because some parents can't parent and let kids have whatever they want, we should ban them? It's something like over half of the adult population plays video games now. I have trouble believing that there are unsuspecting people still out there who are unaware that not all games are made for kids.
    I play a lot, and some of them are very violent. I also own a registered handgun. I don't have the slightest desire to ever use it.
    I was taught empathy as a child, I can tell right from wrong, and I can discern reality from fantasy. Video games, Stephen King novels, horror movies, whatever, have not turned me into a crazed maniac or even desensitized me to violence. The real world is just so much worse.
    I don't think you are taught empathy, I do believe it's innate (and there are several studies out there that show a correlation between empathy and brain activity), but I do believe it can be unlearned by dehumanizing someone or a group. For example, as Hitler did to the Jews, gypsies and gays.

IIRC, you are most likely to feel empathy towards a member of a similar group.

And then, of course, one in 25 is a sociopath and they feel no empathy.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

When people come to town hall meetings packin'.....we have a problem.

Back in the day watching "Carrie" caused me to lose a few nights of sleep and "In Cold Blood" (reading and watching the movie was a school project) made me look over my shoulders for a couple of weeks.

I don't think kids these days would blink an eye.

The shows on TV back then were more of a "Who done it" with no blood and gory. They were entertaining in that you could use your brain to solve the crime.

The plots today are so much more aimed at visuals, as in dead bodies with lots of blood, IMO those who are exposed to them all the time aren't bothered by the violence at all.
    Last edited by luvmytbs; Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"