The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Violence and the role it plays

So guns are getting entirely all the blame now it seems since the last shooting. Lack of mental health services got a blip on the screen and there was only off-hand mention of violent video games.

I think that violence in our culture causes the problem more than guns do. I think that kids/people that are messed up for any reason find an outlet in violence, no matter how they act it out. I think movies, films, documentaries, TV dramas, video games, music video games all glorifying violence in graphic detail is more of a problem than guns.

That young girl that was abducted and murdered in CO last fall was taken by a young man that was obsessed with forensic tv shows and science-finally to the point where he tried it himself on a 10 year old kid. I know I've heard that before. I think those shows should be moderated and watered down; I think they're WAY too graphic to be on television.

I think you can't make an attempt to limit guns and then still leave all the multi-media and entertainment absolutely full of gun violence out there. I don't think it will make a single bit of difference what you do legally with the guns if the prevailing culture of violence continues. Guns will go the way of Sudafed. Law-abiding citizens will be unduly limited and the criminals will continue life as usual.

I think violence in our culture is more responsible than the existence of guns for the shootings and deaths due to guns that we're seeing. People have always owned guns; violence on tv/movies/games has increased dramatically just in my 40 year life time... I think if you want gun control and violent tv shows and movies both you're a hypocrite.

8 members found this post helpful.

I think our culture has a huge problem with the glorification of violence. And that is why I believe that it is utterly irresponsible to have so many guns out there. There is absolutely no good reason that I can think of for an ordinary citizen to possess an assault weapon. It's a weapon of war. It's not the slightest bit practical as a hunting weapon. It's for hunting and killing lots of humans.

So yes, violence is a problem. With our freedoms should come responsibility. It's not resonsible to feed our children a steady diet of violence and killing- through movies, music and video games. Adults should have better things to do as well. What is positive about any of that? Nothing. But the guns need to go. We've been irresponsible and we no longer treat them with respect, so they are very, very dangerous in our country. They need to go.

5 members found this post helpful.

I think violent media has a lot to do with violence in society. I think PG movies should require a parent for anyone below 16 and not allow 13 or younger in period...no matter if a parent is there. R rated movies should be requiring attendees be carded, and anyone entering the doors of the actual theater is carded, to prevent someone getting a ticket for a PG movie and slipping into the other theater.

Violent video games should require purchasers to be carded.

Adult content on the computer needs to somehow be regulated so there is proof that the viewer is over 18.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    There is absolutely no good reason that I can think of for an ordinary citizen to possess an assault weapon. It's a weapon of war. It's not the slightest bit practical as a hunting weapon. It's for hunting and killing lots of humans.

.... But the guns need to go. We've been irresponsible and we no longer treat them with respect, so they are very, very dangerous in our country. They need to go.
    You may not be able to think of a good reason for a law abiding citizen to have a weapon but others more knowledgeable can.

You do know that assault rifles are heavily regulated?

The Constitution is silent on weapons for hunting. If you don't like the provisons of the Constitution, change it in the prescribed manner.

7 members found this post helpful.

So, guns shouldn't be regulated, but TV, movies, and video games should? You really want the government regulating entertainment (like in places like China)? Should we also restrict the Internet like they do in China?

There are these little things called "1st amendment" and "freedom of the press." or do you not believe in that part of the Constitution?

9 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it has much to do with violence. I think it has to do with how kids are being raised.

They are raised so that their prescious self-esteem is guarded, everybody wins, everything has to be fair and balanced, talking out problems and so forth.

Then they get into the real world, can't hack it, have no tools to cope, probably have some pre-existing mental condition and decide to punish the world for betraying them.

Violent media and the like do not MAKE people violent. People who ARE violent, or have violent fantasies, seek them out. The problem is discovering which .001% of consumers are the ones who shouldn't be anywhere near such content.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

6 members found this post helpful.

Violence generated by paranoia for profit.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't think things are too different these days. You just hear about them more. Serial killers have been around for ages and can kill as many people as a person with a gun. Just more slowly. We've always had violence in our culture. The Western culture glorified shooting Indians and using buffalo for target practice. We participated in two world wars plus the asian wars, which created as much PTSD as any war in the middle east but we didn't "talk about it" or treat it. Boys were just being boys when they tortured animals, now they're diagnosed as having mental problems. My point is that violence is nothing new in human culture, we just hear about it more and give it nifty diagnostic names.

ANd lets be real. Guns facilitate murder. Accidental deaths by drowning or car crashes or whatever isn't the same and isn't even legally the same as murder. That's where this article goes astray to me.

I just got back from Walmart, picking up some packing tape and popcorn to pop. In the popcorn/chips/nuts aisle I was walking behind a guy in his late 20s pushing a cart with a 2 or 3 year old child, the guy was wearing a shirt that said this on the back "Violence isn't always the answer, but it is an answer!" and a pic of a bloody bat or something.

Hm. I think he heard me call him jackass when I went by.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    So, guns shouldn't be regulated, but TV, movies, and video games should? You really want the government regulating entertainment (like in places like China)? Should we also restrict the Internet like they do in China?

There are these little things called "1st amendment" and "freedom of the press." or do you not believe in that part of the Constitution?
    Guns are part of our Constitutional rights and so is the 1st amendment, ect. I'm saying I think it is blind-sided to modify one in recognition of these rampages without modifying the other. Or better yet, modify NEITHER and fix the problem without taking anyone's rights away.

I think it's too easy to go after the guns without addressing any other part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Guns are part of our Constitutional rights and so is the 1st amendment, ect. I'm saying I think it is blind-sided to modify one in recognition of these rampages without modifying the other. Or better yet, modify NEITHER and fix the problem without taking anyone's rights away.

I think it's too easy to go after the guns without addressing any other part of it.
    What's wrong with regulating guns and ammo? Regulation doesn't mean denying, it means keeping it out of the hands of people who can't pass a background check.

3 members found this post helpful.

Where did I say it was wrong? I'm trying to bring the culture of violence into the conversation but it's an uphill battle! Everyone wants to talk about guns... nothing else...

The whole interpreting that an "well-armed militia" is interpreted as the right to own guns is a whole issue unto itself.

I don't think it's just violence. As stated, humans seem to be violent beings. I think what's changed is what is acceptable in this culture. Not only are kids growing up in a world saturated with media, it is full of glorification of bad behavior and values. Some valueless slut has sex and videotapes herself, and gets a tv show and becomes a millionaire for the behavior. Drunk, screaming, mean, useless housewives become stars. Politicians and religious people say they value life and it is precious above all when not born, but when it is we put no value on it, or if it is the focus of war, it's OK to kill.

If a child has grown up with this as a huge influence in their life, why would they have any distinction between what is acceptable and not, since so many of the highly valued people in this culture have no moral center?

Well, to be fair, OP, you're the one who brought up the guns...

If you want to talk about culture, talk about culture. But you set it up as an "either or" situation that pretty much guarantees a gun control argument.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

well dang. I was trying to say I think there is more to it than guns, there is also the violence... but I give up. Apparently I have no communication skilz here.

They have the same movies and video games in Canada.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

So guns are getting entirely all the blame now it seems since the last shooting.
    I think movies, films, documentaries, TV dramas, video games, music video games all glorifying violence in graphic detail is more of a problem than guns.
    I think you can't make an attempt to limit guns and then still leave all the multi-media and entertainment absolutely full of gun violence out there. I don't think it will make a single bit of difference what you do legally with the guns if the prevailing culture of violence continues.
    Guns will go the way of Sudafed. Law-abiding citizens will be unduly limited and the criminals will continue life as usual.
    Guns, guns, guns, gun control, guns...

Law-abiding citizens will be unduly limited and the criminals will continue life as usual.
    But limiting free speech isn't the exact same thing?

I think if you want gun control and violent tv shows and movies both you're a hypocrite.
    And I think if you want to limit free speech but not guns, you're a hypocrite. So there.

well dang. I was trying to say I think there is more to it than guns, there is also the violence... but I give up. Apparently I have no communication skilz here.
    Apparently not.

ETA: Not that I disagree with your premise, OP. I think our culture has gotten incredibly violent and I think something needs to be done. I don't, however, agree that we should censor free speech and leave the guns alone.

I have to wonder if violence in media is a symptom of our violent culture, rather than the cause. Violent movies keep being made because people go see them. People go see them because they want to see violence. So which came first? I guarantee that if people lost interest in violent movies, they would probably stop making them.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I think the violent movies, and video games, internet should be limited to ADULTS. That is not violating the 1st amendment.

I think it has a lot to do with the shift to the internet, texting, and all other remote forms of communication, coupled with our innate discomfort with confrontation. Couple that with our throw-away, screw it, bite me mentality. People don't connect as tightly as they once did, I'm not sure why, but some of it is the notion that how many people "friend" you on FB is someone a measure of who you are as a person, and things like that. So many things are now now now...nothing is about 'this might take time.'

And...communication is killed by the written word...it's one thing to not be sure how to talk to ONE person about a tough subject. It's something else to not know how to talk to anyone about ANY tough subject. We've throttled back real emotion to emoticons at best, silence if you're lucky, and true harm if you're having a really, really, really bad day.

And the average teen sends 3000 texts a month. That doesn't count as communication.

Cowboymom-I do agree with you and I have spent many years removing my children from some of the negative aspects of the media. Violence is a big one for me. My son 12 just saw his first "action movie" last fall with a friend and his friend's dad. I don't think he really enjoyed it but at 12 I felt he could decide. If he saw that movie as an 8 or 10 year old I would have a problem, kids that young do not need to see things blown up. I did find it a bit funny that that friend is more interested in theater and one of the sweetest kids I have ever met (the dad is a homicide detective and kind of likes "action movies"). I also have taken away violent video games that his friends have brought over, no one needs to blow up animals.

However, I screen everything and started that at an early age.My daughter was never allowed to watch young girl media where the girls are sexualized. She has plenty of time to discover being sexy, when she is in her twenties.

All of that said, people parent differently and for that reason we need additional control on gun access. We as a society have no way of knowing what people are taught about guns and violence and we need to be better protected.