The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bringing Home A Foster Dog Tonight....

Well, the title pretty much sums it up.

I'm bringing home my first ever foster dog tonight, and I'm having a "What am I thinking?" moment.

I currently have one cat and zero dogs, thought I have had dogs in the past. I told the people at the shelter that my #1 priority is the safety of Cat, and that if Dog makes a move for her, I'll be bringing her back and we'll have to try a different one.

Any tips on introducing the "cat interested" (not cat-aggressive - we tested her at the shelter and she didn't go after the cat there, was just VERY interested) dog to the "dog-wary, somewhat flighty" cat?

FWIW - Dog is a 1.5 yo female wire-haired terrier mix. About 25lb.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Put a toddler gate up in a hallway to give the cat a way to hop over and escape.

Don't leave dog and cat together unsipervised until you are 100% sure they are ok.

Dogs not used to cats will be curious and likely to chase a fast moving furry creature. In the past, I've held my cat with his butt towards dog, and sat on a bed/floor and let the dog sniff him. Seems to help with the curiosity.

1 members found this post helpful.

Keep dog on a leash. If cat runs and dog tries to chase, firm tug and "No." This may take a while, but if dog learns it's not ok to chase the cat, there should be no trouble. Of course if cat is not afraid and does not run much, this helps things greatly.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    Keep dog on a leash. If cat runs and dog tries to chase, firm tug and "No." This may take a while, but if dog learns it's not ok to chase the cat, there should be no trouble. Of course if cat is not afraid and does not run much, this helps things greatly.
    That's my plan.

I've never had to introduce an adult dog to a cat, I've always had puppies that were easier to imprint with the "leave those weird looking small "dogs" alone, they have sharp pokers on their feet" message.

Cat will probably be slinking around for the next few weeks, not running. And whining. My God, the whining she'll do....
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

just keep an eye out....you said she was a terrier mix and that equals ( in my mind) that they like to go after small fuzzy things.

Of course she will be the exception to the rule because dogs make liars out of you all the time and I just proclaimed that she will go after, hence now she won't

I've been a doggie foster home for years. I have six that live here permanently and 5 cats, plus the horses, chickens, turkeys, pigs, etc. etc. I expect them all to get along. No exceptions. I don't bring a new one in worrying about how they'll get along. I just "know" they will get along. They do follow suit. If you worry they will too. Mine all know the drill and any dogs that come in follow them and do what they do. It works great. I've never had problems with any fosters. Well the only "problem" I've encountered is them not being adopted and staying forever.

CHSatwork I think you and I are sisters.

I would agree that it's important to make sure the cat has some escape routes, just in case. Either gates the cat can go over, or things the cat can jump up on (counters, etc.) as a safety measure.

Good luck.