The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking Forward to Summer Riding - "Unmentionables"

Okay, as I sit here convalescing my broken ankle, I'm watching some of my riding videos from this past summer. I noticed in the videos that my breeches look awful!! For one, I'm not a toothpick, so I do have some trouble area -- mainly thighs. They don't look good in breeches. Secondly, I get sweaty! So, my question is, is there an undergarment to help both these problems? I do had the FITS boot-length underwear that I like, but I think for everyday schooling they are too hot for the southern summers. Any thoughts?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Deodorant anywhere you see sweatmarks.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Nylon....
    And no padding in the bra either.

Dries much faster than cotton and is more slippery , reducing VPL chances

Cotton and sweat and humidity is the adult equivalent of being in a wet diaper all day. Hi-cut french legs for me
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

I've seen these, http://www.horseloverz.com/Underwear...en.html?src=ct. But usually anything like that gives leg lines on me which look as bad as VPLs. Sigh.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Depending on how drastic you are willing to go... possibly a thong? Not ideal for many, but I have friends (adult, mid-30s and older riders) that claim to wear them and like them.
    Or you could experiment with seamless/no line briefs. If you can find ones that just barely skim your backside, they seem to do best. If that means moving up a size - who cares? I'm sure your SO isn't digging through your sweaty barn laundry to see the size of your undies. Better than a double-butt.

As for sweating, antiperspirant anywhere you feel grossly sweaty/see sweat marks (I'm not big by any stretch, but I certainly put my Lady Speedstick under my bra in the warmer months.). It really does help. (but, do be careful of this on extreme days, because if you block the sweating you lose a heat-management technique your body relies on a LOT)

I really like Victoria Secret Seamless Bikini...I know VS isn't the brand many turn to, but the idea in any brand has worked well for me. Something smooth and nylon is much more discrete. They are super thin and disappear under breeches. I'll post the link just as an example, the style should not be hard to find in other brands. I have their nude ones for under white breeches.

http://www.victoriassecret.com/panti...alogueType=OLS
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz