The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 149
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Of course, however a car is not designed with the sole purpose of killing anyone. What purpose is an AR-15 manufactured for?
    I'll bite ... The AR-15 is manufactured to fill a need that some people have. The need could one or more of several different. Just like cars. Some people collect them, some people operate them for pleasure, some people use them for their livlihood, some people use them to kill.

    and your point is ?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    I'll bite ... The AR-15 is manufactured to fill a need that some people have. The need could one or more of several different. Just like cars. Some people collect them, some people operate them for pleasure, some people use them for their livlihood, some people use them to kill.

    and your point is ?
    We use them for varmint control.
    Best tool for the job, when it comes to feral hogs.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Thank you for the insult.

    About 100 people EVERY DAY die in car wrecks in USA highways.
    That is not counting the many, many times more injured.

    Every time you get behind the wheel you are putting your life and that of everyone else around you in the highways and parking lots in jeopardy.
    How many times do you carelessly don't stop in an intersection, or distractedly go over the speed limit, or any other such?

    Every trip here and there in a car "necessary"?
    I bet not as much as you may want to think.

    Cars are much more deadly than guns, but all drive them and take chances, because from the millions driving, most will do so cautiously and will be lucky to never have an accident.
    Although sadly not all.

    Same with owning and using guns.
    What purpose is the AR-15 manufactured for? Nobody asked you what the purpose of a car was. Nobody asked why people still drive, or cross the street, or go swimming, and nobody lamented the fact that your children can die in an almost infinite number of ways no matter what you do to try to protect them.. although this is true.

    The question was, what purpose is the AR-15 manufactured for?
    And, would you be brave enough to say what you just posted to the face of a parent who just lost his child in the Newtown shooting and asked for your opinion on gun control? How about answering the question directly this time?


    7 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So what do you think your post proved????
    Nobody here has proven anything, you included. It's called a "discussion."


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    What purpose is the AR-15 manufactured for? Nobody asked you what the purpose of a car was. Nobody asked why people still drive, or cross the street, or go swimming, and nobody lamented the fact that your children can die in an almost infinite number of ways no matter what you do to try to protect them.. although this is true.

    The question was, what purpose is the AR-15 manufactured for?
    And, would you be brave enough to say what you just posted to the face of a parent who just lost his child in the Newtown shooting and asked for your opinion on gun control? How about answering the question directly this time?
    Why would I want to answer absurd questions like that one?

    Would it be appropriate for me to demand car drivers go talk to parents of those killed in wrecks and give up cars because that happens?

    Why do you think I need to be responsible for what disturbed people do to others with a gun, just because I have and use guns responsibly, as do millions of people out there?

    Absurd way to try to fix the problem of mentally ill people and what some of them do.

    You obviously don't know guns, don't understand what they are, the different kinds, what they are used for.
    There is no use to try to educate people that want to ban guns, but are utterly ignorant of what they are.

    Those guns called assault rifles are perfectly good, light, modern guns for all we want to use guns.
    Those that have them, other than in the military, don't consider them assault guns, they are just one of the better guns for some uses.
    I have a bad shoulder and those light, no recoil guns I can use, can't any more use the bigger, rougher ones we had to use before these.

    Quit letting your imagination run off with you and, if you really want to know more, learn about guns properly, from those that use them, not listening and repeating fear mongering anti gun propaganda.

    I don't understand your idea of "brave" or "coward" as you use it there, seems completely out of context.
    There is nothing brave or coward to be found in the sadness of mentally disturbed individuals killing others.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2005
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    OK, peeps, how do you propose we STOP the criminals and crazy people from getting the guns? It's not like there's some clandestine gun manufacturer making the illegal guns for the criminals and nutters to get hold of....Every gun starts out legal
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Oh, but a gun, an inanimate object, DID intend to kill someone? I still can't comprehend this irrational fear of an inanimate object.
    Bingo, Germany! Next time I want to kill someone, I may consider using a bathtub rather than a firearm! Great tip.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    I'll bite ... The AR-15 is manufactured to fill a need that some people have. The need could one or more of several different. Just like cars. Some people collect them, some people operate them for pleasure, some people use them for their livlihood, some people use them to kill.

    and your point is ?
    This is my point, obviously, and they were designed specifically for this purpose. The fact that some people like to collect them and play with them on a gun range isn't their primary use, and it isn't WHY they are made - as in it is not what they were designed for. They are military weapons designed to be very light and accurate and to do as much damage to another person as possible. Does the right of some people to innocently collect them and play with them on gun ranges somehow override their actual purpose - which is to kill people?

    A shotgun, a handgun, these things can have other purposes besides killing lots of human beings quickly and accurately - if you go hunting or if someone tries to break in your house you don't need an AR-15. If grabbing a semiautomatic rifle like an AR-15 is the only way for you to be effective then you're too unskilled to hunt or try to defend yourself using a gun.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Guess the right to life applies only to those currently in a uterus.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    This is my point, obviously, and they were designed specifically for this purpose. The fact that some people like to collect them and play with them on a gun range isn't their primary use, and it isn't WHY they are made - as in it is not what they were designed for. They are military weapons designed to be very light and accurate and to do as much damage to another person as possible. Does the right of some people to innocently collect them and play with them on gun ranges somehow override their actual purpose - which is to kill people?

    A shotgun, a handgun, these things can have other purposes besides killing lots of human beings quickly and accurately - if you go hunting or if someone tries to break in your house you don't need an AR-15. If grabbing a semiautomatic rifle like an AR-15 is the only way for you to be effective then you're too unskilled to hunt or try to defend yourself using a gun.
    Wrong, those guns were developed in the military, but they are general use guns, because they are a better gun than the older ones, also used before by the military and then by everyone else.

    I feel like listening to a blind person describing an elephant by touch, completely out of the realm of reality, just as if I wanted to talk about, say, fishing gear, winging it on what I have heard people that fish tell, or listening to someone that never saw a horse in person telling me how to ride.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    The 2nd Ammendment, as copy/pasted from the government's archives:

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    OK, peeps, how do you propose we STOP the criminals and crazy people from getting the guns? It's not like there's some clandestine gun manufacturer making the illegal guns for the criminals and nutters to get hold of....Every gun starts out legal
    You've asked two questions... Criminals and mentally unfit people are separate issues. Criminal possession is the hardest. A criminal doesn't care about legal restrictions. NYC has very tough penalties for using a gun in a crime. Yet, NYC is a regular site for shootings. Stolen guns, imported guns, & home-made guns are available world wide. Likely guns to the criminal will always be there.

    The Mentally unfit were restricted in their freedoms in years past. The legal arms of the progressives threw open those gates. Now the mental cases are strewn on the streets and alleys. The higher functioning just bide their time until they can grasp their 15 minutes of infamy in a school or theater.

    As for a solution... The NRA has advanced one. Like hateful speech, the antidote is more speech. I think if there were more guns available to the legal, the pendulum will eventually swing back. Defenseless targets only keep the pendulum in place.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wrong, those guns were developed in the military, but they are general use guns, because they are a better gun than the older ones, also used before by the military
    And the military developed them for...? Certainly not for snuggling fuzzy bunnies. They were designed to kill more people at a faster rate--more efficient killing.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Why would I want to answer absurd questions like that one?

    Would it be appropriate for me to demand car drivers go talk to parents of those killed in wrecks and give up cars because that happens?


    Why do you think I need to be responsible for what disturbed people do to others with a gun, just because I have and use guns responsibly, as do millions of people out there?

    Absurd way to try to fix the problem of mentally ill people and what some of them do.

    You obviously don't know guns, don't understand what they are, the different kinds, what they are used for.
    There is no use to try to educate people that want to ban guns, but are utterly ignorant of what they are.

    Those guns called assault rifles are perfectly good, light, modern guns for all we want to use guns.
    Those that have them, other than in the military, don't consider them assault guns, they are just one of the better guns for some uses.
    I have a bad shoulder and those light, no recoil guns I can use, can't any more use the bigger, rougher ones we had to use before these.

    Quit letting your imagination run off with you and, if you really want to know more, learn about guns properly, from those that use them, not listening and repeating fear mongering anti gun propaganda.
    We have an AR-15 in my house. I'm actually looking at it right now because my husband is organizing his gun safe. We have lots of other semi-auto rifles and handguns in the house too, all legally purchased. I'm married to a gun nut. I have a standing invitation to the gun range any day of the week, and I have gone to plink at stuff once or twice, but I just don't think it's fun. I pick them up and move them off the furniture, and I ask him questions about this one or that one out of idle curiosity. However, I don't think - and didn't even before the Newtown shooting - that he or any other civilian should have been allowed to legally purchase a semiautomatic gun of any kind. People aren't allowed to own an RPG or make bombs because such a thing is too dangerous in the wrong hands. They also shouldn't be allowed to own a semiautomatic gun such as the AR-15 which is light, easy to use, and can fire very fast and very accurately and leave very little hope of survival or returning fire or getting away. They can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. They can be modified in almost infinite ways which completely negate the restrictions placed on the ones sold to civilians, which is why that particular model is so popular.


    That, what I just said, is what I would tell the parent of a child who was killed in Newtown if he asked me for my opinion on gun control. I stated it as clearly as I could. I'm still waiting for you to do the same and for some strange reason you are reluctant to.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wrong, those guns were developed in the military, but they are general use guns, because they are a better gun than the older ones, also used before by the military and then by everyone else.

    I feel like listening to a blind person describing an elephant by touch, completely out of the realm of reality, just as if I wanted to talk about, say, fishing gear, winging it on what I have heard people that fish tell, or listening to someone that never saw a horse in person telling me how to ride.
    I'll just copy/paste what I said in reply to your other one since you posted this before I did:


    We have an AR-15 in my house. I'm actually looking at it right now because my husband is organizing his gun safe. We have lots of other semi-auto rifles and handguns in the house too, all legally purchased. I'm married to a gun nut. I have a standing invitation to the gun range any day of the week, and I have gone to plink at stuff once or twice, but I just don't think it's fun. I pick them up and move them off the furniture, and I ask him questions about this one or that one out of idle curiosity. However, I don't think - and didn't even before the Newtown shooting - that he or any other civilian should have been allowed to legally purchase a semiautomatic gun of any kind. People aren't allowed to own an RPG or make bombs because such a thing is too dangerous in the wrong hands. They also shouldn't be allowed to own a semiautomatic gun such as the AR-15 which is light, easy to use, and can fire very fast and very accurately and leave very little hope of survival or returning fire or getting away. They can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. They can be modified in almost infinite ways which completely negate the restrictions placed on the ones sold to civilians, which is why that particular model is so popular.


    That, what I just said, is what I would tell the parent of a child who was killed in Newtown if he asked me for my opinion on gun control. I stated it as clearly as I could. I'm still waiting for you to do the same and for some strange reason you are reluctant to.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wrong, those guns were developed in the military, but they are general use guns, because they are a better gun than the older ones, also used before by the military and then by everyone else.

    I feel like listening to a blind person describing an elephant by touch, completely out of the realm of reality, just as if I wanted to talk about, say, fishing gear, winging it on what I have heard people that fish tell, or listening to someone that never saw a horse in person telling me how to ride.
    Also I'm just curious, how many AR-15s or similar weapons do you own? How often do you go to the range and shoot them?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    The 2nd Ammendment, as copy/pasted from the government's archives:

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    The militia, of course, being every able-bodied adult, and expected to supply their own military-grade small arms. And keep in mind those last four words, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Also, every other right in the Bill of Rights applies to the people as individuals, why wouldn't the 2nd apply in the same way.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Oh, but a gun, an inanimate object, DID intend to kill someone? I still can't comprehend this irrational fear of an inanimate object.


    You don't HAVE a right to hunt. Show me where you do? We DO however have a right to keep and bear arms, and it SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. You seem to be one of those that we typically refer to as "fudds". You think because they're not after your hunting rifles now, that you're safe. Guess again. This is just another move to further restrict our rights. Yours are next.

    Good thing we don't live in a democracy then, huh? We live in a Cnstitutional Republic. Specifically set up to protect people from mob rule.
    Why are you being so rude? "Fudd"? Oh brother. I'm not worried that anyone is coming after hunting rifles and I'm not paranoid about the whole slippery slope argument. But I still don't want guns, semi or automatic weapons in the hands of just anybody if anybody at all. I'm reasonable not fanatical.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2012
    Location
    Parker, TX
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We use them for varmint control.
    Best tool for the job, when it comes to feral hogs.
    100% agree. I can't shoot guns that kick a whole bunch due to my weakening health. An AR-15 is a solid solution for me since they are extremely accurate and don't kick very much.

    To comment on the posted article:
    Personally, I find that it makes some excellent points. It also demonstrates just how little the people pushing this legislation know about guns. I mean, not knowing what a barrel shroud is and just making something up on live TV?

    I digress. This new ban that Feinstein says she's going to propose is downright ridiculous. As a gun owner and a CHL holder, limiting magazine capacity makes me a little uncomfortable but I'd be willing to give that up if she let go of some other things she wants to ban. I'm also okay with the registration of "assault weapons"...though $200 seems a bit high to me. But not being able to pass my guns down to my kids?! You have to be kidding me. No way I am turning my guns in to the government when I die.

    I think in order for Feinstein's ban to pass it's going to have to be watered down a bit. As a republican, and a gun owner, I have accepted that an "assault weapons ban" will probably pass given the political environment now. I just hope that I can continue to educate and remind my friends about how to safely use guns, and have good discussions on how to fix the problem of guns falling into the wrong hands.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Also I'm just curious, how many AR-15s or similar weapons do you own? How often do you go to the range and shoot them?
    I will repeat, you talk like someone that has never seen a horse close up telling me about riding horses and why we should or not do it.

    Your HD is a "gun nut" is already a red flag about how you feel about guns.

    No, I am not going to tell you or anyone else what guns I have, really, especially here and to someone like you, that will come with another off the wall take off to call me names.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 160
    Last Post: Dec. 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
  2. Renew Gold feed....anyone use it?
    By Amwrider in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2012, 06:42 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec. 11, 2010, 08:08 PM
  4. Psycho Arrested in an Assault by Horse...
    By Trakehner in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2009, 07:33 PM
  5. So, you want me to join/renew:
    By Alterkashun in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan. 22, 2009, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness