The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 149
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Quite obviously "ignorant and low information voters" is emotional rhetoric in the eye (ear) of the beholder.
    I don't know about rhetoric but one frustrating aspect of the gun control discussion is that there appear to be many folks unfamiliar with firearms who are a) using terms with which they are unfamiliar and b) telling people who ARE familiar with firearms what they "need". That obviously does not apply to ALL people on that side of the debate so if it doesn't apply to you then great. But is frustrating. I think pretty much everyone would like to see a reduction in violence of all types. This article just outlines much of the frustration with the current proposal.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I would like a referendum on the issue of high capacity magazine weapons.
    Luckily, this country's legislative process protects us from knee-jerk, emotional and uninformed mob rule.

    Gun deaths in this country, as broken down by numbers vs population are not even statistically noticeable. Take deaths by rifle, the weapons you'd like to take away from law-abiding gun owners like myself. Do you know how many people are killed per year by rifles? Would it shock you to know that it's all of about 300 people per year? 300. That's 0.000001% of the population each year. Not even a statistical blip.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    dressurpferd01
    Advanced

    Luckily, this country's legislative process protects us from knee-jerk, emotional and uninformed mob rule.
    Ah yes, nothing like fighting for democracy in other countries....


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Well, yes I do tend to agree more with something when the facts are clearly stated, backed up, and the writer knows how to use proper grammar, verses reading something to the effect of "Yo, yo, homeboy, you be packing a peace, or else them homies gonna take you down!"
    I am not sure if this post offends me because it is so blatantly racist, or because you mistook "peace" for "piece." Or maybe because it appears to endorse the violence that some people live and die by every day.

    I teach in the inner city. It is not shocking for innocent children to be gunned down in their front yards. It is normal.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Luckily, this country's legislative process protects us from knee-jerk, emotional and uninformed mob rule.

    Gun deaths in this country, as broken down by numbers vs population are not even statistically noticeable. Take deaths by rifle, the weapons you'd like to take away from law-abiding gun owners like myself. Do you know how many people are killed per year by rifles? Would it shock you to know that it's all of about 300 people per year? 300. That's 0.000001% of the population each year. Not even a statistical blip.
    Not noticeable except if that blip is your kid.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    9 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Guns dont amount to much in the overall death rate but they do in the overall murder rate. Yea, we have guns and hunt and I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of idiots and unstable people.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2007
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Not noticeable except if that blip is your kid.
    Not to be totally callous, but the point that you were referring to is just as valid when it comes to drowning deaths. Ban bathtubs and swimming pools. I don't personally know a single child death from gun violence. 2 year old drowned in a bathtub? Yeah, the son of one of my closest friends last spring. And many of my friends are hunters, target shooters, trap & skeet shooters, so plenty of guns *responsibly* owned among people I know.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2008
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Luckily, this country's legislative process protects us from knee-jerk, emotional and uninformed mob rule.
    So an opinion is an uninformed knee-jerk reaction from the mob? Lots of hunters support gun control to protect our right to hunt. We do. I'm for definitions of and bans/strict regulations on assault-type weapons. Hunters and most law abiding citizens don't use these and dont need to.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    The number one cause of accidental deaths for children ages 1-4, is drowning, per the CDC.
    Car accidents next (congenital defects are first).


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    Not to be totally callous, but the point that you were referring to is just as valid when it comes to drowning deaths. Ban bathtubs and swimming pools. I don't personally know a single child death from gun violence. 2 year old drowned in a bathtub? Yeah, the son of one of my closest friends last spring. And many of my friends are hunters, target shooters, trap & skeet shooters, so plenty of guns *responsibly* owned among people I know.
    Yes, and I am certain that the killer bathtub intended to take out that 2 year old.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    8 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Quite obviously "ignorant and low information voters" is emotional rhetoric in the eye (ear) of the beholder.
    Maybe not, if it is true.

    Just read what some here think guns and some guns are.
    Most don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.
    To so many, "guns" and "ban guns" means "ban those things that shoot bullets".

    What most ignore is the millions of gun owners and users out there that don't go around killing anyone or letting others do harm with their millions of guns.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    359

    Default

    All of you who are so vehemently against strengthening gun control laws, and so adamantly posting about it here on the internet where you seem to feel you know what is right:

    Would you be brave enough to state your opinion regarding gun control face to face to the parent of a child who was killed in Newtown, if he asked you to articulate your beliefs? What exactly would you say? Surely he would deserve an answer. If you couldn't answer, why are you such a coward?


    9 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    All of you who are so vehemently against strengthening gun control laws, and so adamantly posting about it here on the internet where you seem to feel you know what is right:

    Would you be brave enough to state your opinion regarding gun control face to face to the parent of a child who was killed in Newtown, if he asked you to articulate your beliefs? What exactly would you say? Surely he would deserve an answer. If you couldn't answer, why are you such a coward?
    Do you drive a car?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Yes, and I am certain that the killer bathtub intended to take out that 2 year old.
    Oh, but a gun, an inanimate object, DID intend to kill someone? I still can't comprehend this irrational fear of an inanimate object.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    So an opinion is an uninformed knee-jerk reaction from the mob? Lots of hunters support gun control to protect our right to hunt. We do. I'm for definitions of and bans/strict regulations on assault-type weapons. Hunters and most law abiding citizens don't use these and dont need to.
    You don't HAVE a right to hunt. Show me where you do? We DO however have a right to keep and bear arms, and it SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. You seem to be one of those that we typically refer to as "fudds". You think because they're not after your hunting rifles now, that you're safe. Guess again. This is just another move to further restrict our rights. Yours are next.

    Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Ah yes, nothing like fighting for democracy in other countries....
    Good thing we don't live in a democracy then, huh? We live in a Cnstitutional Republic. Specifically set up to protect people from mob rule.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    All of you who are so vehemently against strengthening gun control laws, and so adamantly posting about it here on the internet where you seem to feel you know what is right:

    Would you be brave enough to state your opinion regarding gun control face to face to the parent of a child who was killed in Newtown, if he asked you to articulate your beliefs? What exactly would you say? Surely he would deserve an answer. If you couldn't answer, why are you such a coward?
    I would, and I bet you would be surprised to find that there are some of the parents/relatives of victims that still agree in protecting the 2nd amendment. Because there are millions of responsible, non mentally ill people that own guns.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you drive a car?
    Of course, however a car is not designed with the sole purpose of killing anyone. What purpose is an AR-15 manufactured for?

    Until you answer my question which you quoted I'll put you in the "coward" category.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Oh yes, it went from "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" to "Guns don't kill people, VIDEO GAMES kill people."

    As for the violence in TV, etc.: my grandmother has been watching every gruesome, graphic, disturbing corpse show created fro the last 15 years and she has yet to mow down a single person. It's such a disconnect to think that guns that actually shoot the bullets that kill people are innocent but TV shows and video games are not.
    ThaT's irrelevant, unless you think that simply owning a gun would make your GM into a homicidal maniac...
    I've owned guns since I was an adult, and grew up in a household with guns (loaded, and in unlocked nightstands/gloveboxes, even when I was not even into my teens), and never shot anyone, or had any family member shot, or had them shoot anyone...
    So what do you think your post proved????


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    Of course, however a car is not designed with the sole purpose of killing anyone. What purpose is an AR-15 manufactured for?

    Until you answer my question which you quoted I'll put you in the "coward" category.
    Thank you for the insult.

    About 100 people EVERY DAY die in car wrecks in USA highways.
    That is not counting the many, many times more injured.

    Every time you get behind the wheel you are putting your life and that of everyone else around you in the highways and parking lots in jeopardy.
    How many times do you carelessly don't stop in an intersection, or distractedly go over the speed limit, or any other such?

    Every trip here and there in a car "necessary"?
    I bet not as much as you may want to think.

    Cars are much more deadly than guns, but all drive them and take chances, because from the millions driving, most will do so cautiously and will be lucky to never have an accident.
    Although sadly not all.

    Same with owning and using guns.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    dressurpferd01


    Originally Posted by happymom
    Ah yes, nothing like fighting for democracy in other countries....
    Good thing we don't live in a democracy then, huh? We live in a Cnstitutional Republic. Specifically set up to protect people from mob rule.

    my comment /\ /\ /\


    Your head


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2002
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I would, and I bet you would be surprised to find that there are some of the parents/relatives of victims that still agree in protecting the 2nd amendment. Because there are millions of responsible, non mentally ill people that own guns.
    It's actually irrelevant whether you assume that they would agree with you or not, and certainly - yes - they probably know that millions of responsible people own guns. In fact, some of them probably do too or know others who do. My question stems from the fact that I see a lot of posts from people who act like questioning the right to buy military style weapons is anathema and it shouldn't be a topic of debate even in the aftermath of the deaths of 20 children, but they can't seem to articulate exactly why other than to say that it's their right. They seem to think that's an adequate answer. By posing the question as coming from someone who has suffered the ultimate loss as the direct result of, among many other things, the right to own such a weapon (these were legally purchased), it removes the question from the anonymity of the internet.

    So, what exactly would you say?


    4 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 160
    Last Post: Dec. 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
  2. Renew Gold feed....anyone use it?
    By Amwrider in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2012, 06:42 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec. 11, 2010, 08:08 PM
  4. Psycho Arrested in an Assault by Horse...
    By Trakehner in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2009, 07:33 PM
  5. So, you want me to join/renew:
    By Alterkashun in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan. 22, 2009, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness