The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

This is what I see as a multiple gun owner. The rabidly defensive gun owners are a paranoid bunch. Paranoia is NOT a good decision making tool. Totally unable to see the distinction between a small magazine and a very large magazine? Are you totally blinded by your fears?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    So your right to shoot 100 rounds off in seconds is more important than a child's right to life.....nice.....
    No one wants children (or anyone else) to die! I think most people are quite united in wanting to minimize the chances of that happening. We disagree on the most effective means to achieve this. Gun control folks are just very focused on only one aspect that which is not likely to make much difference. There are other easily available options to kill people that will most definitely jeopardize children and others.

But certainly, if you and your neighbors want to create your own "gun free zone", put up signs to that effect, and NOT enhance security in any way at your local schools,I do think you have that right. You should NOT be forced to carry a firearm!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    This is what I see as a multiple gun owner. The rabidly defensive gun owners are a paranoid bunch. Paranoia is NOT a good decision making tool. Totally unable to see the distinction between a small magazine and a very large magazine? Are you totally blinded by your fears?
    As a gun owner you should see there is very little difference between a small magazine and a very large magazine. One only needs to carry several mags to have the same effect. Especially in a gun free zone, one can change mags at their leisure. Banning "large" capacity mags is just another sop toward "doing something" no matter how ineffective or inconvenient toward innocent, legal gun owners.

This is a complex issue. There are many prongs to be addressed. I don't see anyone saying there is but one solution.

Every disaster is a compilation of multiple over-sites.

2 members found this post helpful.

So your right to shoot 100 rounds off in seconds is more important than a child's right to life.....nice.....
    Another argument for the "children" Don't you have another specious argument?

1 members found this post helpful.

How DARE I care about children and their right to life? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Another argument for the "children" Don't you have another specious argument?
    Kinda like, "OMG they want to take all our guns away" ?

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I would say, if we are going to be arm chair psychologists, there definitely is more paranoia shown by those that, not knowing guns, are so deathly scared of them, as it it were a snake or spider, beyond reason scared.

Can't argue with that kind of deep fears.

6 members found this post helpful.

How DARE I care about children and their right to life? Right?
    We ALL care about children (and everyone else!!).

We disagree about the most effective approach to balancing public safety and constitutional rights.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I would say, if we are going to be arm chair psychologists, there definitely is more paranoia shown by those that, not knowing guns, are so deathly scared of them, as it it were a snake or spider, beyond reason scared.

Can't argue with that kind of deep fears.
    As we can't argue with, "omg their gonna take all our guns away" mentality.

The callousness of the gun advocates in this thread is really kind of breathtaking.

Don't worry - we all get that you think your right to own whatever kind of gun you want to overshadows the deaths of 20 small children. You don't need to keep repeating it over and over. I guess enough time has passed (what, 2 weeks?) that you don't feel any shame in telling the rest of us that you have all the answers and there's no need to show any more empathy and CERTAINLY DEFINITELY NOT to ask questions and re-examine the topic of gun control.

4 members found this post helpful.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

What about my life? When my ex is coming after me, do I just pull out my restraining order and say "STOP! You can't come with in 500 feet of me!"

Or do I just call the cops and let the operator hear me scream as he's killing me.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post
    What about my life? When my ex is coming after me, do I just pull out my restraining order and say "STOP! You can't come with in 500 feet of me!"

Or do I just call the cops and let the operator hear me scream as he's killing me.
    You need 100 rounds for that? Really? I suggest you go to the range and get some target practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    The callousness of the gun advocates in this thread is really kind of breathtaking.

Don't worry - we all get that you think your right to own whatever kind of gun you want to overshadows the deaths of 20 small children. You don't need to keep repeating it over and over. I guess enough time has passed (what, 2 weeks?) that you don't feel any shame in telling the rest of us that you have all the answers and there's no need to show any more empathy and CERTAINLY DEFINITELY NOT to ask questions and re-examine the topic of gun control.
    Who is not being empathic? Its possible to be a gun owner AND be quite empathic. The community in which I live (mostly avid gun rghts supporters) has been busy making donations and sending things and generally very involved in supporting the families in CT. I have not read any posts indicating someone does not care about the suffering of anyone impacted by gun (or other) tragedy. I don't see that supporting 2nd amendment rights is "callous" but obviously we disagree!

The callousness of the anti-gun advocates in using the deaths of those people for their propaganda is really kind of breathtaking.

Don't worry, we all get that you think all the millions of us owning and using guns responsibly are ogres that eat puppies for breakfast, the horror.

It seems that some anti gun agenda proponents don't feel any shame in telling the rest of us that they have all the answers and there is no need to show any more empathy and CERTAINLY DEFINITELY NOT ask questions and re-examine the topic of what kind of gun controls we already have, that work so well for millions of guns owned and used responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    One million people have died by gun violence since Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed. Other 1st nation countries do not have anywhere close to the number of deaths by gun as we do. How many deaths will it take before we wake up and realize our love affair with guns is causing the death innocent people?
    Do you really think banning guns will save lives?
    It is not the normal, sane person who owns a gun for protection who is going around blasting people and they would be the ones to give up their guns (maybe) if we had such a law.
    No matter if guns were banned the bad guys or the nuts WOULD get them somewhere. Then they could really have a field day knowing that the normal, sane people had no way to defend themselves.
    Personally I don't think it's guns that kill people it is nutty or just hard down bad folks who cause the problems.

How many people are knifed each year? We going to get rid of knives, too?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The callousness of the anti-gun advocates in using the deaths of those people for their propaganda is really kind of breathtaking.

Don't worry, we all get that you think all the millions of us owning and using guns responsibly are ogres that eat puppies for breakfast, the horror.

It seems that some anti gun agenda proponents don't feel any shame in telling the rest of us that they have all the answers and there is no need to show any more empathy and CERTAINLY DEFINITELY NOT ask questions and re-examine the topic of what kind of gun controls we already have, that work so well for millions of guns owned and used responsibly.
    Other people have changed their minds on the issue due to the level of horror of this particular shooting. Why is this man wrong?

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...w/-/index.html

When you are paranoid that someone might take your guns I guess you might view the normal reaction - OMG, what can we do to prevent this from happening again, why and how did a shooter carrying this legally obtained gun kill 26 people in the span of about 10-15 minutes - is all about you and your access to guns. But for other people, it's a wake up call. The issue is complicated, and the discussion involves more than just gun control laws. But gun control is part of the conversation. It's normal to ask these questions. Not everything is about you.

Again, why is the senator in the article I posted wrong for changing his mind?

...legally obtained gun...
    Just want to point out that Lanza DID NOT legally obtain that gun. He took it from his mother who bought it legally. It seems strange to me that a mother who probably knew her son was at least a little disturbed, would leave her guns in a place where he could easily take them. There are plenty of gun safes out there.

And in my opinion, Sen. Casey isn't wrong for changing his mind. Everybody has the right to change their mind and they are entitled to their own opinion.

So if you are a gun owner and your family member uses your gun, it's illegal? I can't legally handle my husbands gun? For anything?

To my knowledge, the gun belongs solely to the person who purchased it. If the gun owner hands the gun to their son, husband, etc. and says something to the effect of "this is yours", then they can legally use it. If the son just takes it out of the gun safe without permission, they cannot legally use it. For example, if it was a handgun and if the son got pulled over, he would be arrested since the firearm is not in his name and he was not given permission to use it.

This only applies to direct relatives and spouses I believe. If I were to give my gun to my aunt, it would have to be done through an FFL transfer.