The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Has everyone read this? Why Not Renew the “Assault Weapons” Ban? Well, I’ll Tell You…

What a well thought out article, that was written by a left winger:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/...-ill-tell-you/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    What a well thought out article, that was written by a left winger:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/...-ill-tell-you/
    That is an excellent article adn thanks for posting it!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

One million people have died by gun violence since Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed. Other 1st nation countries do not have anywhere close to the number of deaths by gun as we do. How many deaths will it take before we wake up and realize our love affair with guns is causing the death innocent people?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    One million people have died by gun violence since Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed. Other 1st nation countries do not have anywhere close to the number of deaths by gun as we do. How many deaths will it take before we wake up and realize our love affair with guns is causing the death innocent people?
    Guns aren't killing people. Mentally ill people and criminals do most of the killing. If you really wanted to save lives, you'd ban cars, swimming pools, and fast food. No... you won't go there.
    Last edited by hosspuller; Dec. 28, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: deleted pointed remark ...

8 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Thank you for posting that! Brilliantly written.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I have posted the same thing on every gun thread and will do the same here:

This is so mush MORE than a gun control issue and if we dont STOP pointing fingers and guns and legal gun owners, we will never solve it. Its a multi-facited issue than needs to be addressed before change can happen.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

9 members found this post helpful.

I find it funny that people only think something is "well written" when they agree...

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I find it funny that people only think something is "well written" when they agree...
    What a coincindence...I think it's funny when people will disparage other people because they disagree with something well written...

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, yes I do tend to agree more with something when the facts are clearly stated, backed up, and the writer knows how to use proper grammar, verses reading something to the effect of "Yo, yo, homeboy, you be packing a peace, or else them homies gonna take you down!"

4 members found this post helpful.

I would like a referendum on the issue of high capacity magazine weapons.

7 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it's a love affair with guns that is causing the problem-I think it's a love affair with VIOLENCE.

20 members found this post helpful.

I wonder how many of the people that complain about wanting to ban guns, let their kids watch violent movies, and play violent video games? I was amazed at how many parents bring young kids to R rated movies, late at night. Look at the shooting in the Aurora theater...there were parents with 6 yr old kids, and even a baby. If kids are raised on seeing violence regularly, they become numb to it. I think that is far more dangerous than responsible gun owners owning any type of gun.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I wonder how many of the people that complain about wanting to ban guns, let their kids watch violent movies, and play violent video games? I was amazed at how many parents bring young kids to R rated movies, late at night. Look at the shooting in the Aurora theater...there were parents with 6 yr old kids, and even a baby. If kids are raised on seeing violence regularly, they become numb to it. I think that is far more dangerous than responsible gun owners owning any type of gun.
    Agreed...I would like to be able to "ban" certain people from having kids, or MORE kids...but thats neither here nor there really...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

5 members found this post helpful.

It most definitely IS here or there. Don't let young kids into violent movies. Just don't. Crack down on violent movies and graphic violence.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I would like a referendum on the issue of high capacity magazine weapons.
    You want a repeat of the ignorant and low information voters deciding a critical aspect of our country? Or do you disagree with the logic of the posted article on high cap magazines?

I think it's ridiculous to compare drowning deaths with mass shooting deaths. Yes, there are lots of things that can potentially kill us on a day-to-day basis, from car accidents to disease, but that doesn't mean we should just say "To hell with it" and not take precautions to protect people from dying (especially violent deaths).

Even though your car might be able to go 160, you are not legally allowed to drive it at that speed on public roads because it is a danger to others. If you have a swimming pool, the law says you must build a fence of at least such-and-such height in order to keep kids from wandering into your yard and drowning. If those things are regulated by the law, weapons whose only purpose is to kill should be heavily regulated. IMO, you should not be able to stroll into WalMart and purchase a weapon that can easily be converted to fire 100 rounds a minute. I'm not saying guns shouldn't be legal, I'm saying we need to take measures to restrict who can buy guns and nobody should be allowed to own guns that can mow down 100 people in one minute. Just like we can't legally drive our cars 200 mph--the law restricts the rights of the individual in order to protect the rights of the many.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Agreed...I would like to be able to "ban" certain people from having kids, or MORE kids...but thats neither here nor there really...
    They watch the same movies and video games in Canada.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh yes, it went from "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" to "Guns don't kill people, VIDEO GAMES kill people."

As for the violence in TV, etc.: my grandmother has been watching every gruesome, graphic, disturbing corpse show created fro the last 15 years and she has yet to mow down a single person. It's such a disconnect to think that guns that actually shoot the bullets that kill people are innocent but TV shows and video games are not.

6 members found this post helpful.

hosspuller

You want a repeat of the ignorant and low information voters deciding a critical aspect of our country? Or do you disagree with the logic of the posted article on high cap magazines?
    Quite obviously "ignorant and low information voters" is emotional rhetoric in the eye (ear) of the beholder.

4 members found this post helpful.