The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default leptospirosis in the eye

Anyone dealt with this and how did it turn out? My vet suspects it but labs not open until next wk.

Sorry I do not have any concrete info for you. My gelding years ago was treated for chronic uveitis, I don't remember if he was positive for lepto or not. But our local vet Ann Dwyer www.gvequine.com is an expert, if that helps.....

My trainer has a mare who contracted it 2 years ago. It is an ongoing battle, the first year she had the initial flare up and then nothing until last fall, where the steroids could not keep it at bay. Ann Dwyer came out and recommended the mare get the cyclosporine implants. Mare had the surgery this summer with implants in both eyes (the right was worse than the left, but both affected). She still had a flare up this fall and my trainer believes her right eye to be shrinking ever so slightly and the horse may eventually lose the eye...

OMG---thanks for the input. We will be testing her for lepto next wk. I am just sick.

Lepto can cause ERU in horses. Lots of articles on it if you google.
    Most of the vet schools have good info on lepto and its effect on equine eyes.

In dogs, it can cause kidney failure.

My old gelding has it in both eyes. He was originally diagnosed with uveitis by a highly qualified general vet in my area. They only told me what to do when his eyes did flare-up.

However, where I went to University there just happened to be a vet the specialized only in animal eyes. So we took him. Turns out he has lepto, not uveitis. What he told me to do is not worm him with ivermectin unless I absolutely have to. It kills the lepto that travels to his eyes causing the flare-up. When I do have to worm him with ivermectin, I am to treat him right away as though he is having a flare-up. So, I am to worm and then put him directly on banamine for a week. I am also to immediately put the steroids in his eyes 2x a day for a week, and then slowly wean him off it over the next week. Being able to prevent the flare-up, or at least lessen the severity, has been a godsend.

Maybe it is different for different horses. I have never asked. It probably depends on the severity and when it is caught, etc. I just know that this is working for my boy. But this is my experience. It's been 5 years since his last flare-up

Default Jingles ~ laced with Strength ~ ((hugs))

Jingles & AO ~ ((hugs)) for both ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"