The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas Break...kids...activity ideas

The girls (13 and almost 15) will be here next week and Dad will be working so we'll have a few days to fill up. They prefer chilling in front of the TV but we can't do that all day everyday.

My thought was to give them each X amount of money, a few websites for things available in our county and in DC proper, and let them plan some day trips. We've done a lot in DC already on previous trips. I'd like to take them to the National Aquarium in Baltimore one day. Other than that, I am happy to do whatever they wish...but not an iCarly marathon.

I'm also thinking of taking them to a craft store to see if we can find a fun project. I remember loving doing the paint by numbers stuff and the oven melt "glass" stuff. But that might be too "young" for them. I'm looking for a pottery place here too. That would be fun. I know they enjoy doing that.

Any good ideas for memorable but inexpensive entertainment for teens? They're fairly "young" for their ages as they mostly hang out with their younger cousins. So we're not into boys, gossip crap, etc. They're more like your average 10-12 YO.

They're not into the horse thing so that's out. FWIW. (sad face)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Definitely do Baltimore/Inner Harbor thing. It is a great day trip. DD is 9 and we do a presidential house every year when we go back to VA. Monticello is by far the favorite.

Paint your own pottery is a great way to spend an icky afternoon. Colonial Williamsburg is a day trip, too. Ice skating, there is a rink in Fairfax off South Pickett, pretty sure. Snow tubing out at any of the slopes. Call ahead, you have to get a reservation for a two hour slot.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Thank you! Really, ice skating here in Fairfax? Cool! I took them ice skating at the MSU ice rink a few years ago...SD 15 is cool with it, SD 13 less so but it's been two years now.

They've been to Williamsburg with Mom and liked it. I think we may do that on Saturday with Dad. I can't be gone too awful long due to dog issues right now, so I'm trying to plan trips so I can at least hire the dog walker if we're going to be gone.

Thanks for the ideas!

double post

Try here as well.
    http://tagaloo.com/

I don't know how far in you are, so Warrenton might be too far.

Google White's Ferry. Better in good weather when you can picnic, but still fun, esp as I believe you keep your horse in Loudoun

Just saw ages, Tagaloo is probably out

Nope, Warrenton isn't out. My horse is out that way. I have nothing better to do. I need to keep 'em entertained.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That place is by my old HS. That's where Michael Weiss skated before the Olympics.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex, you want to go with us? That sounds super fun!

I wouldn't bother with the Inner Harbor right now. Too cold to enjoy and the parking is a mess. Save that for the Summer because that is when it's the most enjoyable. I'm sending you an e-mail with some stuff to do.

1 members found this post helpful.

Any of the Smithsonians are worthy of a whole day.

Lex, you are in Fairfax??? I may need to ask a favor of you one of these days!

My kids love making "movies" (they are 11 and 14) and editing them with the free software that came on the computer. There is some "slug-ness" about sitting in front of the computer for hours, but it's not playing games or watching TV so I let them...in theory it is "work" to some degree - writing a script, filming, and editing.

Obviously coming up with an appropriate topic is the hard part (although my 11 year old makes ridiculous movies all the time that are titled things like "A conversation about nothing" )

We are reading a book in Russian for our Russian teacher's grandchildren (complete with costume changes). Maybe they would like to read a book or do a play for their younger cousins?

We've done most of the Smithsonians in DC now. They've also done the Spy Museum, the Newseum, and a few others that you pay to get into.

I'm fine not going to DC at this point. It's kind of a PITA to get to the metro station from here during the week as far as parking. So I'm hoping to find them stuff in Fairfax County that we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Lex, you want to go with us? That sounds super fun!
    I don't think my legs can take it, but I'll be happy to join you guys for dinner/lunch afterwards or just tag along and I can snap some photos of you guys skating around for your family album if you want some. There's some nice places to eat right down the street from the rink and I know the area around the rink like the back of my hand because I used to walk all over it when I was in HS, so there's some things out there you might want to see for future reference.

S1969 has a great idea. I tape DD doing 'Cooking shows' She decides what she wants to make, gets everything out, then I start filming as she explains each step.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    We've done most of the Smithsonians in DC now. They've also done the Spy Museum, the Newseum, and a few others that you pay to get into.

I'm fine not going to DC at this point. It's kind of a PITA to get to the metro station from here during the week as far as parking. So I'm hoping to find them stuff in Fairfax County that we can do.
    I've got a short list of stuff that I'm typing up for you right now and it's all nearby.

I have 13, 15 and 17 year old girls and with how hard they work in school, while I'm sure they'd enjoy ice skating, I'd be careful abut how many forced marches around town you take them on. Teens get stressed with school and friend pressure and need downtime too. I completely understand not wanting to watch iCarly all day (why do you think we have never had cable?), but there is something to be said for hanging out with them and watching some of their shows. Or make them watch a movie you loved at their age - sure they will groan but chances are they will end up liking it and will especially enjoy pointing out the horrible fashions and large cell phones from your heyday.

Do you have a video game system? Play with them. My girls love beating me at Mario Kart and games like that. These days you can get a used Wii for around $80 at Gamestop. We have a blast. Or play some old fashioned board games with them - you can't go wrong with Monopoly and Scrabble.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't have to have activities. You can just spend time with them making memories. Show an interest in the strange things they find fascinating on Youtube, listen to their music.

Being a good parent isn't about where you go or what you do it is about the time spent and the memories made. Honestly, my girls all talk more about the little things we've done around the house more than the trips to the museums or zoos or any of that stuff. Sometimes a day spent in pajamas - by all 3 of you - is the best day of all. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I have 13, 15 and 17 year old girls and with how hard they work in school, while I'm sure they'd enjoy ice skating, I'd be careful abut how many forced marches around town you take them on. Teens get stressed with school and friend pressure and need downtime too. I completely understand not wanting to watch iCarly all day (why do you think we have never had cable?), but there is something to be said for hanging out with them and watching some of their shows. Or make them watch a movie you loved at their age - sure they will groan but chances are they will end up liking it and will especially enjoy pointing out the horrible fashions and large cell phones from your heyday.

Do you have a video game system? Play with them. My girls love beating me at Mario Kart and games like that. These days you can get a used Wii for around $80 at Gamestop. We have a blast. Or play some old fashioned board games with them - you can't go wrong with Monopoly and Scrabble.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't have to have activities. You can just spend time with them making memories. Show an interest in the strange things they find fascinating on Youtube, listen to their music.

Being a good parent isn't about where you go or what you do it is about the time spent and the memories made. Honestly, my girls all talk more about the little things we've done around the house more than the trips to the museums or zoos or any of that stuff. Sometimes a day spent in pajamas - by all 3 of you - is the best day of all. Seriously.

I couldnt agree with this more. Spend at least one day at home and have no plans at all....
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I definitely think that there is benefit in downtime. Lord knows, I prefer it. But they just don't get to do anything back home. It's all downtime. All the time unless it's a family get together. They rarely get to do anything/go anywhere when they're at mom's. In the past, that was just part of the time so no big deal. They lived with us most of the time. But now, they've been living with mom for 3 mos since we moved and haven't gotten to do much unless they're here. So I'm trying to find something for them. THey've had the last week off, they were supposed to be here already but long story short, they aren't. So they've just been holed up at home alone watching TV for a week. They need to do something more than that. It's just not good for them to sit and eat all day.

They will. But it's not good...