The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you have someone who can videotape your lessons? With sound? Watch the replay and see if you can understand why your instructor tol you to do something.

The links to the Janet Foy and Jane Savoie video series are very helpful. Jane also has a membership website with a lot of good ideas and a newsletter. There is a good FB group, Dressage for all of us....NOT DRESSAGE SCHOOLING DISCUSSIONS ....that can be pretty good....a few nutcases in it though.
    I really like this book
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title

ETA:I am happy to say that the lovely chestnut on the cover is by Snowford Bellman RID, IMHO one of the most significant RID stallions in this country. Sadly he is deceased
    Last edited by carolprudm; Jan. 3, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

carolprudm - what is the name of the FB page? I tried to look for it but couldn't find it. TIA!

I also like the book Dressage from A to X for beginners, very clear and easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by QHF View Post
    carolprudm - what is the name of the FB page? I tried to look for it but couldn't find it. TIA!
    This http://www.facebook.com/groups/474790712549050/?fref=ts
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

You could start by reading the ESEF rules for dressage, starting at DR101. USDF also has a section in their directory that describes judging terms. As for "seeing" things; it takes time to educate your eyes, and some people never seem to manage it.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

If you have a horse that tends to get lower marks because of its physical limitations you must accept him as he is and understand his limitations.

If this is the horse you love and plan to keep, be realistic about your horse's ability and don't punish him for what nature has given him....then you can have fun.

Look at pictures of various gaits until you can identify the gait, and where the horse is in the gait )trot's easy; walk not so hard; canter a bit more difficult) - what foot/feet come next? Is the foot on the ground landing or pushing off?

Then go to video or 'real life' and watch in realtime.

If you can get your hands on any of Lendon Gray's demos where she rides and talks her way through 15-20 minutes of right & wrong, study them. (e-mail me if you want - we videoed several and may still have them)

Definitely watch with someone knowledgable who can focus on talking to YOU (rather than the trainer, who is focused on the horse & rider in the ring).

Read everything you can find - and try to identify what you've read when you see it. Start at the 'beginner' levels - where you are and work up - a step or so ahead of where you are.

Have your lessons videoed, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing - and schedule time (even if it's an additional lesson) for you & trainer discuss the video.

Good luck - have FUN!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast