The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buffered aspirin for the weekend warrior farm dog

Just got off the phone with my vet's office with the advice to give my weekend warrior farm dog buffered aspirin to recover from her latest bout of excessive activity. It's rare that she overdoes it, but we just had a good snow, and she really enjoyed hunting in it - and then was really stiff when she got up from her nap afterward. Classic: I felt the same after snowshoeing.

So buffered aspirin. I've seen references to Ascriptin, Ecotrin and Bufferin, as well as something formulated specifically for dogs. I don't know if I can even find these - I've looked for Bufferin unsuccessfully in the past.

For those who use apsirin, what kind do you use? Obviously it's got to be buffered. Am I right that if it's buffered, it'll say so on the label?

Thanks - esp from the weekend warrior dog.

I've just used generic enteric coated aspirin. You just need something to protect the stomach. I also give it with food.

the really cheap generic kind. Give it with food.

Yep. I just buy the cheap, store brand buffered kind (I think my current bottle is the the 81mg kind that a human would take daily). On a really bad night, I'll give her three, which doesn't even come close to the total amount my old vet told me I could give her (which I believe was 360mg for her 60lbs, every 12 hours...don't quote me on this. I do it so rarely and only a dose or two when I do!). And I give it with a snack.

My vet has us give the 81 mg buffered aspirin. We use generic also. He prefers to not use the enteric coated as he has more than a few clients report the pill makes it all the way through mostly intact.
    I did find it hard to find buffered not enteric coated.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

We use Ascriptin and have always been able to find it at our local CVS.

Thanks guys!

I had no luck in 2 grocery stores so will give CVS or Kinney a shot. Since my vet specifically said buffered rather than coated (I've read the same thing about coated), I'll use that. Fortunately, she works out of her stiffness in short order outside (prime bunny hunting season!), so it's not terrible torture to see her gimping.

I have heard, use plain or buffered but not enteric coated aspirin. Apparently the coated can slide through the dogs' shorter, more acidic GI tract without being properly absorbed.

We always used Ascriptin with great success
    Quarry Rat