The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't know how you don't! I just started working after being home for years and I can't get anything done at home now!

I used to get up, have coffee computer time, and at some point would kick into high gear and get everything done. What I really miss is having my time to myself-if I found myself cleaning out every kitchen cabinet while putting the dishes away that was ok... If I washed all the blanket and sheets while they could hang outside in the sun that was ok... now it all has to fit in a certain time frame NOT of my doing.... don't like that! I miss having time to shop for bargains and cook good inexpensive food and really manage the household, it's a bit wobbly now... DH is "helping".

What does help about working outside the house is getting up, taking a shower, putting on real clothes (not sweats) and make-up. Some days I put off the real clothes and shower until I'm done with the housework and that can make the day go by on the computer way too easily...

If you're used to working outside the house and are suddenly home you just have extra time to fill that you didn't used to need filled. Unless you want the house cleaner than it was or painted a different color you don't really need to spend more time doing the same old thing-put new things in that time where you used to work.

I'd give anything for a week at home without everyone underfoot... things are falling apart around here! I'd love to be home again too...

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    subscrice to fly lady and get daily emails about what tasks are to be done that day.
    Thumbs up to Fly Lady (www.flylady.net). This website helped me get and stay organized. I've been a SAHM mom for 15 years and have been raising four kids. Now going back to work FT and FlyLady principles are a huge help in staying organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You will pick up the slack as soon as DH gets sick with manflu,
    ZOMG, the dreaded manflu! <snort> That one's a killer.

Yeah, I'm a slacker, too. And I feel like even more of one now that my son is 8 and helps with the chores. Some days I swear he does more housework than I do

Oddly enough, knitting helps. Then I feel like I have something to show for my "wasted" hours. Yep, sat on my ass all day, but now we have accessories.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

I stayed home and loved it. The house wasn't the cleanest but I loved being my own boss. I had 2 kids and thoroughly enjoyed them. Horses came when they were 6 and 8 and because we lived in the country, we had them at home.

As a kid I loved knitting and sewing, playing (studying actually) the piano so being at home gave me the opportunity to get really good at these things. There weren't enough hours in the day for me.

Even at my advanced age, I'm convinced I need another couple of lifetimes to do and explore all the things that interest me.

The little that I did work was frought with problems: people back stabbing each other, people being jealous of me. Believe me, you don't want to be the only happy and well-adjusted person in the office...I got crucified! So I took refuge at home. I liked my work if they would have just let me work. But no, it was all the other ego crap with the women going on.

I used to Fly! Loved that site. Just can't believe I need it now with so...um...little to do. I'm a slacker piece o crap! I do have a cake in the oven though. And I make bread twice a week. So I'm trying to skate by on my culinary prowess. LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've been a SAHM for 7 months now...with a 7 month old baby. After working full time for 12 years it was a HUGE adjustment. Laundry is the one thing I'm good at. Cooking? Lol, not so much.

I have found my motivation in goals. I want to do a 100 mile bike ride June 1, so that keeps me motivated to work out. I've also become super crafty. I actually make things I find on Pinterest! Took me awhile to not feel guilty for doing fun things while I'm home all day.

I work best under pressure and probably do more housework in the evenings after work than on days off. My year on maternity leave was probably the most unproductive time of my life! lol

When I'm being lazy at home, I try to give myself mini-deadlines or force myself to multi-task. I can watch TV, but I must fold laundry while doing so. I can sit and play on the internet, but I must get up every few minutes to sweep the floor, do dishes, etc. Sometimes I'll look at my toddler's mess of toys on the floor and decide to start picking up just the lego or the dolls....I get it done slowly but surely lol!

Working parttime when the kids were little (until kindergarten) saved my sanity. I worked three days a week and it was a mental lifesaver. All my salary paid for was the daycare, but that was fine. I got to interact with adults who weren't drooling all over me or crying or fussing. Can you take ANY kind of a job parttime? Can you sign up with a temp agency? Employers like parttimers because they don't have to pay benefits.

Then the time you spend at home suddenly becomes more valuable and you end up being more organized and making better use of your "home" time.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'm no SAHM, but am someone who has learned I'm ridiculously more productive when busy, and rather useless when I don't have a mondo to-do list with a short timeframe. My advice: when you get out of bed in the am, make it. Right away. Much more importantly, get dressed. Like actually dressed, no workout clothes if you aren't headed straight to the gym. You will feel ridiculous sitting around the house at 10 am with your feet up, farting around on the Internet when you are dressed to go and do. Oh, with shoes. At least I feel ridiculous, so I get stuff done.

One thing I learned about life is that you will usually either have time, or money. But not always both. Learning to use your time wisely is not always about getting more done.. It could be about doing things for yourself. Do you exercise? If no, start. Choose a subject and learn everything you can about it. Choosing a religion or philosophy to explore can be very fulfilling, you dont have to convert. Examine something natural every single day and revel in the details and beauty of it. Keep a journal. Read the classics. Explore your local world. Write letters to people. Pick a subject you have a strong opinion on and prove yourself wrong.

You may never have time like this again. Dont think you have to tell people what you did all day, either
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

SAHM here as well, never have enough time to do it all, I am busy all the time and love it. I rarely ever have free time. Not sure how people end up with loads of free time. But I hate being idle. I feel like I never have enough time to get it all done and I'm always rushed and running late. I do pack in alot, but could always do better on organizing my time.

I think what the nice thing about a defined job is that you have a time you show up and a a time you leave. As a SAHM mom I don't have those definitions so I take on too much and get overwhelmed.... Sometimes I wish I could back out and say "that's not in my job description".

Which isn't to say that I don't recognize that I am super lucky to be where I am today and appreciate the time I do have. But honestly the world could end tomorrow and what will I have to say that I have accomplished in my life? A clean house, a well fed family and happy critters? whop te doo. I do admire working moms more than folks like me.

I have worked since I was 16, had my daughter at 25 (she is now 20) I worked sometimes two jobs at once, and still managed to take care of everything.
    Five years my world crumbled around me and I am no longer able to work. I have good pain days and bad pain days.
    I have found that I so the same things to keep after the house everyday. I do the dishes in the morning, start a load of laundry if need be and pick up around the house. Takes maybe a total of 45 minutes. IF I can't do it my daughter does. Thus gives me what I like to call me time. With it being winter I rarely go any where so I read alot, watch alot of movies, work on my scrapbooking blog or play games.
    I love to go onto pinterest and check out the DYS stuff and have made a few projects that I have found on there. My daughter and I love to garden in the summer time and can and freeze what we get from the garden.
    I just try to do things that I enjoy that are some what constructive and keep my mind going.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

I had been really suffering medically for quite awhile due to stress that was kicking off my Lupus stuff. So having things more low key is AWESOME. BUt I feel like a loser.

DH doesn't seem bothered too much, but I think he may be and just not saying it.

He sent me flowers yesterday with a note "I hope your day is bright". I've been really struggling with the dog stuff and being stuck at home so much. But truly? I'm the one who isn't DOING stuff. I could. I can!

And then I just keep looking at the clock til the last possilbe minute that I need to be productive.

I can do better.
    Having a sick dog is a lot of stress and has probably been sucking the energy right out of you. Not only that, but it can take a while for your body to recover, especially if you have Lupus.

It also takes a while to shift from being "outwardly" motivated, deadlines etc. to being "inwardly" motivated. Give yourself time to adjust. =)

You should cut yourself some slack and enjoy your days. I've found that when I feel well I'm productive, but if I don't then not much happens. It took me a while to realize that my health was the primary driver as to whether or not my days were as productive as I thought they should be.

I've become more productive on med, and now I just do the best I can and accept that my best isn't perfect.

Sorry it's getting late and I've rambled a bit.

Not a SAHM but recalling being unemployed. You need a big goal. Mine was Finding A New Job. I imagine a SAHM's would be something like Be A Great Mom/Wife. Apart from the endless daily chores, you need a chunk of time dedicated to that goal. Chores, while part of your life, aren't really going to feel like you accomplished anything because they just clone themselves and tomorrow - more chores. For example, I had to regularly file for unemployment benefits; that, while a vital chore related to employment, was not actually part of the Finding A New Job goal for the day.

I find it helpful to make a list of chores and goals; if I'm particularly frustrated with life, I find it helps to also make a list of things I've done, so the whole day doesn't become a blur of WTH did I do again, and why am I so tired?

1 members found this post helpful.