The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So How Would The CotHers Have Handled This Horse Situation?

Do these people get the "Dufus Horse Owner Award" of the day or did they handle the situation correctly?

Horse ran up the ramp and got into the hayloft. Was this the appropriate way to get him back down? See what happens 40 seconds into the video.

http://youtu.be/nIx9YEiQGc0
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I don't blame the horse for not using that ramp! Planks, held together by some kind of roofing material and held up with ladders!!!??? Holy crap! I think, should I ever find myself (unlikely) in a similar situation that I have enough contacts among my veterinarians and different contractors and fire rescue personnel that I can get a professional rescue crew together.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I'm no expert on horse behavior by any means, but I imagine that poor old Flame would have felt better about that "ramp" if it had sides put up all the way to the ground. My JRTs don't even like stairs that are open (no backing)...so a horse stuck in a hayloft faced with a rickety rope-ladder-like ramp? No go for any horse I know (that rhymed ridiculously - apologies).

I wouldn't have filmed it and put it on youtube.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

3 members found this post helpful.

Dufus Horse Owner Award is way too kind.

2 members found this post helpful.

Points to the cute horse for bravery in the face of human idiocy.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

4 members found this post helpful.

No way did the horse run up that ramp. Something is off.

1 members found this post helpful.

Damn lucky the horse didn't break a leg.

Yeah, they had a cobbled-together ramp of 2x6s and plywood held together by strips of shingles, propped up on what looks like a pile of straw, for what reason exactly? And the horse voluntarily ran up it because something in the woods scared him MORE THAN THAT RAMP?

Suuuuure. Methinks alcohol was involved BEFORE the horse ended up in the hayloft.

Jennifer

The uploader says in the comments

"We had to make a ramp to get him down because there way no other way"

So they're saying they made the ramp AFTER he got into the hayloft. But how the frig did he get INTO the hayloft?! Something doesn't add up.

I would have kept the horse happy in the hayloft with food and reassurance until a better resolution could have been reached. That ramp is SCARY, I am shocked the horse attempted it!

I don't often pat myself on the back and tell myself that my horse is lucky to belong to me; but watching that video, I did.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

2 members found this post helpful.

Per the girls' description he "ran upstairs into the loft." I think her brother that claims to have startled the horse enough for Flame to "jumped over his stall, ran threw the barn, and ran upstairs into the hayloft" actually bribed and led Flame into the loft as a practical joke... at Flame's expense of course. If it was so natural for Flame to go up the stairs, wondering if nailing wood and making a ramp over the stairs the horse climbed up would have been a better way to get down?

Their ladder supported escape ramp is horrid! What a sweet, calm, and trusting horse he is. Glad he's safe. Definite candidates for idiots of the year.

this is the second posting, mind you years apart where a horse is removed from the loft via the door leading outside of the loft. How hard is it to lead the animals down the stairs? I have done it before, if you go slow enough they figure it out.

Too bad this horse didn't take remove his owner from the gene pool.

I bet these people have a quite a string of equally stupid craigslist horse related ads.

Yea, definentely would have called the fire dept and gotten some sort of better ramp system.

This makes me grateful that my horse would follow me through fire, as long as I go first (and get eaten/torn to shreds or die first, lol) he will do anything.

I would have called the fire department.

I still don't get it. Did they have stairs up to the hay loft that the horse somehow got up? Fishy indeed.

From the panning for the camera on the first several seconds of the film I can't say anyone looks too upset but when you look around at the background with all the trash and yellow hay, you can see that they are not really into the safety and welfare of their animals. No big surprises.

Just another trashy looking area with horses, owners who can't spell to save their lives, and no common sense to be found anywhere. I'm sick over this, and sure this probably has happened before. Poor guy

I would have gotten a better videographer.
    Horse was halfway down the ramp when he jumped off so is probably fine. Was this the horse that was in the news for walking up the stairs to the hayloft any getting stuck up there?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.