The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 152
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I'm thinking you have never experienced Philadelphia unions. We had to wait for someone to walk over and plug a plug into an outlet. This is how Philadelphia unions work and when you are at the end of a long trade show and have to wait for someone to come around and unplug same plug from outlet and you have everything else packed up and just sit and wait for 45min, it leaves a sour taste.

    I live in an area where there are union and non-union of the same profession and I MUCH prefer working with/hiring union employees. We can order laptops through my company - the union ones are the same type but twice the price because they are union made. Yeah, I'm not getting a union made laptop.
    I work with unions and non-unions on all of my construction jobs, I don't see any difference. You may have had to wait because of understaffing, which is a management choice not a union choice. I don't see your point.



  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    No, READ. I didn't dismiss you. All you did was say more of "my teacher friends say" which are still not actual facts. I gave you some anecdotal evidence, which are still not facts.

    What I did was get back to the POINT. Unions, ALEC, big corps., Citizens United is all the same issue. Do we vote for the best government the corporations can buy and become facist and pretend it's capitalism, free enterprise, or whatever you want to call it, or do we become a first world nation that cares about it's people and has some basic human rights.

    This is why people start ignoring and dismissing you. You don't read and continue on.
    There you go, doing it again.

    No, that is not what I responded to you, but evidently what I did say you didn't want to hear, so it is not there, which is ok too.



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    Right. OK. Me and every other person in here are having the same problem, but it's us.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Right. OK. Me and every other person in here are having the same problem, but it's us.
    Not quite so, only those that don't agree with my opinions are having a problem understanding what I have to say.

    Maybe it is not all my fault that it is so, but a certain tunnel vision on display?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Right. OK. Me and every other person in here are having the same problem, but it's us.
    Are you really a teacher??



  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Are you really a teacher??
    I am afraid so.



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I am afraid so.



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    Noms chimes in once again with rude behavior and no facts. Sounds like stalking to me.

    Bluey. You've been slapped for this once, since you have such an aversion to canoeing when you insult people. Have at it again.



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,522

    Default

    BTDT-Really trying to explain why Noms & Bluey's statements are not facts or even observations is like trying to nail jello to a wall. They don't care, noms even said it.

    If some want to bash unions or any other organization without facts, logic or observations so be it. They just want to say whatever they want regardless of any real knowledge.

    When the laughing faces come out it is time to just let them babble....


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    No, it's time to report them for personal attacks. This is not adult behavior. I used to agree on the multiple, schizophrenic laughing icons, but since they can't take it back, it's easier just to report.

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    BTDT-Really trying to explain why Noms & Bluey's statements are not facts or even observations is like trying to nail jello to a wall. They don't care, noms even said it.

    If some want to bash unions or any other organization without facts, logic or observations so be it. They just want to say whatever they want regardless of any real knowledge.

    When the laughing faces come out it is time to just let them babble....



  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Seriously, no one here can evaluate a teacher's competence to teach whatever they teach, that is for their superiors to decide.

    I do hope that anyone, whatever their outlook on life is in controversial social topics, respects that theirs as a teacher don't belong in the classroom.
    At least that was understood to be the right way to address those issues when I was a substitute teacher.
    It bothers me at times what I hear some teachers do in today's classrooms.

    It would be interesting to know more about this.



  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    BTDT-Really trying to explain why Noms & Bluey's statements are not facts or even observations is like trying to nail jello to a wall. They don't care, noms even said it.

    If some want to bash unions or any other organization without facts, logic or observations so be it. They just want to say whatever they want regardless of any real knowledge.

    When the laughing faces come out it is time to just let them babble....
    Right, as I had noticed, it is those that disagree with me, that when they run out of something to say, start with the personal jabs.
    They then complain if I answer them.

    Ok, have your fun.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    No, it's time to report them for personal attacks. This is not adult behavior. I used to agree on the multiple, schizophrenic laughing icons, but since they can't take it back, it's easier just to report.
    How many times have you threaten to report this and that poster?

    Do you think that they will quit answering when you threaten to go to the Moderators because you don't like what others have to say?



  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;6748712]Noms chimes in once again with rude behavior and no facts. Sounds like stalking to me.

    Bluey. You've been slapped for this once, since you have such an aversion to canoeing when you insult people. Have at it again./QUOTE

    -
    -
    -

    What does that mean?
    Now that is some goofy talk.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    6,197

    Default

    It wasn't a threat. I reported you, just like I did last time when you did it and I told you you should go canoeing and you were SO insulted.

    It has nothing to do with not liking your ability to think. It's your inability to stop turning it into a personal attack, and then feel all good about yourself when the resident nyah nyaher joins in. I do not speculate about what you have to be like to be doing this, nor do I want to.

    Every time I try to engage you on facts and points, it's the same thing, as with many others. Once again, I'm done.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    It wasn't a threat. I reported you, just like I did last time when you did it and I told you you should go canoeing and you were SO insulted.

    It has nothing to do with not liking your ability to think. It's your inability to stop turning it into a personal attack, and then feel all good about yourself when the resident nyah nyaher joins in. I do not speculate about what you have to be like to be doing this, nor do I want to.

    Every time I try to engage you on facts and points, it's the same thing, as with many others. Once again, I'm done.
    Well, I know you have threatened to report several posters before, including myself.
    I don't know if you did or didn't, it doesn't matter.

    All I say is out there for anyone to read and yes, I do tease and joke, but I also take my licks, as today, when I seemed for a while to be the only one on the hot seat, all other several posters on the other side of what we were debating.

    So what, that is what debating is, you state what you think and stand behind it or agree that you didn't know enough.
    Have done that also.

    There are some that don't like it if they have to admit all they stand for is not quite as they want to insist and then they come with the personal attacks, as you are just doing.

    Ok, I grumble about it and move on with what I have to say, what else is there to do?
    I already explained enough here and there when you questioned me and you changed the subject and wanted something else discussed.
    I didn't follow your lead there, because to me that was disingenuously avoiding what we were talking about.

    Ok, have your fit and hurry and get over it and see if you can answer my question about teachers and their personal opinions in the classrooms, if you may, please?
    THAT should not be objectionable.



  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2000
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    10,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Can we talk about this corporately funded organization which is composed of Republican state legislators and promotes legislation that is friendly to their sponsors?

    I am pissed because our state legislature (now Republican super majority) deregulated AT&T in July. AT&T funds ALEC to the tune of 300K per year, and the deregulation bill is an ALEC initiative.

    It's gutted all PSC control over telecommunications here.
    Oh good grief. Look at this list and then lets talk.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co.../orgs/list.php



  18. #78
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2008
    Posts
    4,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Ahem, did you ever belong to a union?
    If not, whatever you have to add here won't be welcome, because you don't know anything about unions, if you didn't belong to a union.

    At least that is what I was just told.
    I know, right...working around unions on a daily basis - both at work and on a personal level aren't enough!

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Wait, do you have to belong to a union to post to this thread? Just checkin...

    Bluey, your flank was unprotected.... The liberals were circling.
    I think it is the COTH Writer's Union....

    Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Judgemental, much?

    Those union kids might not share your values, but they like their lives and their standard of living enough to want to stay in and be part of the community in which they grew up. They've seen their parents have decent lives with vacations and family time and home ownership, and as adults, they want the same security in their lives.

    Union labour, which you look down on, is not necessarily unskilled or menial or worthless. Jobs like machining require great skill, experience and attention to detail. Even driving a forklift in a particular setting can be a challenge, in terms of safety, security and/or efficiency.

    And none of this has anything to do with ALEC, except that a lot of people have tasted their Kool-Aid on union issues, at least to the extent that they can't even think rationally about the role of unions anymore.
    My point is that one of the arguments for unions is that people who would have otherwise not been able to 'make a living wage' can do so now because of unions - but to what benefit? They are not bettering themselves. They are living in the same high-crime, high-drug neighborhoods, leaving their children at the same risk. The only result is that product that comes from union jobs, as mentioned in my previous post, is product that is the same as non-union prodcut, at twice the price. This is specifically what I see in the port. The auto workers are more spread out.



  19. #79
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Oh good grief. Look at this list and then lets talk.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co.../orgs/list.php
    Look at the preponderance of donks at the top of that list.....



  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Oh good grief. Look at this list and then lets talk.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co.../orgs/list.php
    Very interesting reading.

    Talking about unions, there is where some of your dues seem to go:

    Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012
    LEGEND: Republican Democrat On the fence



    = Between 40% and 59% to both parties
    = Leans Dem/Repub (60%-69%)
    = Strongly Dem/Repub (70%-89%)
    = Solidly Dem/Repub (over 90%)
    Note: Percentages may not add up to 100% as money can be given to third party
    candidates or outside spending groups and PACs not affiliated with either party.
    Rank Organization Total '89-'12 Dem % Repub % Tilt
    1 ActBlue $76,137,468 99% 0%
    2 American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees $65,160,408 69% 0%
    3 AT&T Inc $50,295,491 43% 56%
    4 National Education Assn $49,769,888 64% 4%
    5 Service Employees International Union $48,743,973 61% 2%
    6 National Assn of Realtors $46,767,451 44% 46%
    7 Goldman Sachs $41,831,097 55% 42%
    8 Carpenters & Joiners Union $39,777,927 70% 7%
    9 American Assn for Justice $38,234,280 85% 7%
    10 American Federation of Teachers $38,218,968 81% 0%
    11 United Auto Workers $37,612,278 75% 0%
    12 Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $37,136,608 94% 2%
    13 Laborers Union $35,202,466 84% 6%
    14 Communications Workers of America $34,277,318 86% 0%
    15 Teamsters Union $34,213,817 85% 5%
    16 United Food & Commercial Workers Union $31,674,563 85% 0%
    17 Citigroup Inc $30,603,616 49% 49%
    18 American Medical Assn $29,388,148 40% 59%
    19 National Auto Dealers Assn $29,144,008 32% 67%
    20 Machinists & Aerospace Workers Union $28,304,747 98% 1%
    21 United Parcel Service $27,484,204 36% 63%
    22 EMILY's List $27,036,897 97% 0%
    23 JPMorgan Chase & Co $26,892,807 48% 50%
    24 American Bankers Assn $26,845,600 37% 62%
    25 AFL-CIO $26,544,170 70% 3%
    26 Altria Group $26,461,157 27% 72%
    27 National Assn of Letter Carriers $26,165,003 79% 8%
    28 National Beer Wholesalers Assn $25,957,795 34% 65%
    29 Microsoft Corp $25,765,814 56% 43%
    30 National Assn of Home Builders $25,172,530 35% 64%
    31 Morgan Stanley $24,118,414 43% 56%
    32 Blue Cross/Blue Shield $23,817,865 37% 62%
    33 Plumbers & Pipefitters Union $23,432,009 81% 4%
    34 Time Warner $23,206,310 73% 25%
    35 Bank of America $23,178,489 42% 56%
    36 Lockheed Martin $23,045,443 42% 56%
    37 General Electric $22,933,280 49% 50%
    38 Verizon Communications $22,579,486 41% 58%
    39 Newsweb Corp $22,355,971 44% 0%
    40 Operating Engineers Union $21,911,764 79% 13%
    41 International Assn of Fire Fighters $21,604,543 75% 16%
    42 Credit Union National Assn $21,564,416 47% 50%
    43 Deloitte LLP $21,490,121 36% 63%
    44 Ernst & Young $20,588,523 43% 56%
    45 FedEx Corp $20,496,433 39% 60%
    46 Sheet Metal Workers Union $20,430,978 94% 2%
    47 PricewaterhouseCoopers $19,502,876 36% 63%
    48 American Dental Assn $19,440,050 44% 53%
    49 American Hospital Assn $19,242,018 53% 46%
    50 National Rifle Assn $19,153,139 17% 82%
    51 UBS AG $18,922,610 40% 58%
    52 Boeing Co $18,635,687 47% 52%
    53 Air Line Pilots Assn $17,896,397 83% 16%
    54 AFLAC Inc $17,629,579 44% 55%
    55 Natl Assn/Insurance & Financial Advisors $17,219,774 42% 57%
    56 United Steelworkers $16,800,899 93% 0%
    57 Pfizer Inc $16,735,129 33% 66%
    58 American Postal Workers Union $16,722,057 85% 3%
    59 Northrop Grumman $16,678,869 43% 56%
    60 Union Pacific Corp $16,413,682 25% 73%
    61 Comcast Corp $16,211,687 57% 41%
    62 Ironworkers Union $15,850,224 92% 6%
    63 Club for Growth $15,729,520 0% 91%
    64 United Transportation Union $15,719,050 88% 11%
    65 National Air Traffic Controllers Assn $15,613,105 67% 18%
    66 Credit Suisse Group $15,490,458 42% 56%
    67 Chevron $15,387,229 19% 63%
    68 National Rural Electric Cooperative Assn $15,035,697 49% 50%
    69 Merrill Lynch $14,502,672 37% 61%
    70 General Dynamics $14,491,805 46% 53%
    71 Honeywell International $14,319,988 45% 54%
    72 American Institute of CPAs $14,299,960 42% 57%
    73 American Financial Group $14,223,252 15% 75%
    74 Exxon Mobil $14,139,897 13% 86%
    75 Reynolds American $14,107,773 23% 76%
    76 Koch Industries



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 151
    Last Post: May. 21, 2002, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •