The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Wellington Equestrian Alliance is Phony

The billionaire Jacobs family of East Aurora, New York, and unfortunately Wellington, Florida, is threatening to destroy international dressage competition in Wellington. The Jacobs want to make WEF available only to the very wealthy elite.

Why? Because they don't like people coming to "their community". They seek equestrian sport only for the super-rich elite.

One of their many front organizations is the Wellington Equestrian Preservation Alliance. It is comprised of three people. Lou Jacobs, Barbara Richardson ( one of their lackey lawyers) and Mike Whitlow ( one of their bootlickers).

The Alliance has no real members and has a fraudulent Facebook page (i.e. they uncovered the method to create Likes).

They have lawsuits (as chronicled in COTH) that are attempting to prevent this year's Global Dressage Festival as well as have the brand new venue torn down.

USEF should do something about these people.

And please let the Jacobs mouthpiece whore Mason Phelps know how you feel.

3 members found this post helpful.

"USEF should do something about these people."

Maybe you should. If you feel that strongly about what they do or don't do, then that is on you!

1 members found this post helpful.

@shine. We are not USEF but we can and are doing other things

Hundreds of $$thousands are being spent by ESP fighting the Jacob lawsuits. That's a shame because ESP would rather be spending that money on shows and venues.

The rest of us don't have that kind of money to match the Jacobs' deep pockets and army of lawyers, PR people and lobbyists.

The Jacobs have made a big mistake in making Mason Phelps their mouthpiece in the equestrian community. The number of people who despise him is growing especially in dressage.

Mason and the Jacobs [edit] up the NHS and now want to do the same to WEF as well as completely destroy dressage competition in Wellington.

A group called the Equestrian Forum of Wellington has formed to make are voices one. The Forum us activly involved in this mess we have in Wellington caused by the Jacobs. And for what it is worth people have called for a boycott of Richardson's law firm.

And the international equestrian community can help by boycotting Phelps. People are already doing that. If anyone is seekiing to influence the Wellington market, Phelps is worth nothing and he is considered snake [edit].
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: to remove profanity

If you want people to boycott someone, it would help if you:

1) Provided some background and evidence about what is going on, instead of vague innuendo. Links are good.

2) Stopped the name calling ([edit]). I don't care how mad you are at someone, but if the best you can do is call them names, you aren't going to convince ME to be mad at them. See #1, re: evidence.

I mean, the way these posts are written, I'd almost think the other side posted them to drive people away from the Equestrian Forum of Wellington or whatever group they are supposed to be "supporting."

The approach is just. that. bad.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes I agree the profanity was inappropriate. But there's no innuendo. There's a mountain of information in public records and from the media.

It is nearly impossible to describe in detail what is going on within the confines of a blog. You can search the numerous articles in the Palm Beach Post archives and the Wellington Town Crier. Also you can read the COTH article that focuses on the Jacobs' attempt through litigation to stop this year's Global Dressage Festival. Yes the one we have people arriving for NOW from throughout the world! http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...al-site?page=3

Why? Because the GDF venue is down the road about a mile from the main entrance to their 300 acre equestrian compound. The Jacobs don't want a few more cars on "their" road. They are using a variety of legal tactics to stop the GDF and have the venue torn down.

As for Mason Phelps, if someone hasn't heard of him then the comments will be lost and meaningless. Those who know Mason and Phelps Media understand what's being said. He is a vicious snake.

And for those who know Wellington and the Jacobs, no explanation is needed as to their ruthlessness and willingness to spend money and to bury our industry with litigation.

Anytime someone makes general but broad assertions about how terrible their opponents are, and instructs the reader to do the legwork to obtain the proof of these general but terrible assertions, the assertor loses all credibility in my book.

If you want someone to believe what you are saying,

1) make specific and verifiable statements

2) supply the proof for all the items in #1, in the form of links to documents whose independent creation is at least plausible.

Otherwise, this post has no credibility. I don't even really know what the accused is accused of doing, specifically.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

4 members found this post helpful.

The mayor of Wellington was interviewed in depth on the subject by Karen Robinson of Horse International, for those who want more information.

http://www.horsesportinternational.c...terview-part-1

To make a long, convoluted story short:

The Jacobs family owns Deeridge Farm. It's on Pierson Road right across the street from a big piece of land that has been historically used for polo. Wellington wants to put a big WEF-like dressage show there during the season. The Jacobs aren't happy about it and are trying what they can to make it difficult for the show to go on, so to speak.

Jeremy Jacobs owns or owned the Bruins and needless to say, his farm is incredible. He also has signs on his fence line stating his opinion on the dressage show issue which really tackifies the whole image...shame.

3 members found this post helpful.

USEF has absolutely no authority over the Jacobs family's lawsuit, which was filed in district court.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Diva View Post
    USEF should do something about these people.
    I'm not taking sides, but the above statement is beyond ridiculous. LOL

Deleted my original glib comment- read some articles and feel more sympathetic to the situation.
    Last edited by Plainandtall; Dec. 29, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

“ a 2011 study by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission found the industry (the equestrian community) had a $185 million impact countywide...

We’re not sure how much of it contributes to the local economy in Wellington.”

http://gotowncrier.com/2012/12/counc...ith-committee/

The folks who stand to benefit from the dressage show (participants, and local businesses) need to engage local officials to prevent one rich jerk from dictating policy for your whole community then.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Calling Bellissimo a rich jerk is not going to help. Can we please keep it civil and do our best to stick to the facts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    The folks who stand to benefit from the dressage show (participants, and local businesses) need to engage local officials to prevent one rich jerk from dictating policy for your whole community then.
    The problem is Jacobs spent $600,000 in the March village election getting his three people elected. They have since revoked approvals issued by the previous council!

For perspective, a typical election budget is $20,000. There are two other very wealthy equetrians who are part of Jacobs team. Read this article in today's Palm Beach Post about their gifts to the mayor.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...ayor-ap/nThQf/

Yes Welly Diva is 100% correct. The Jacobs essentially bought the election. They spent 600K on a massive smear campaign against the incumbent mayor and council members running for re-election. Ironically their guy Margolis ran on a platform of transparency in government! Hah!! Read the article linked by Welly Diva to see how that's going for him! The situation is actually quite dire at this point. The Village of Wellington will need to spent hundreds of thousands of dollars defending itself in litigation because of the Council's recent actions. It's very sad that one family, very rich indeed, could possibly dismantle the equestrian industry in Wellington.

That one family, admittedly very rich, did not BUY the election. They restored the integrity of the voting process using a hand recount after the state board of auditors discovered that someone had finagled the results. Nobody seems to have gotten so much as a hand slap for that. And I doubt they are after dismantling the equestrian industry in Wellington. They have been more than generous with their support of Stadium Jumping for a quarter of a century and in my book have done a beautiful job of retaining as much as could be saved of the rural character of Wellington. It is, after all, for the horses, not some ill-advised real estate speculator who showed up on the scene after the national economic collapse hoping to bottom feed.

Nutmeg, are you drinking the Kool Aid?

The Jacobs had absolutely nothing to do with the election results. That turned out to be the elections supervisor and her software provider pointing fingers at each other! The elections supervisor is an independent county constitutional office.

You must be a Jacobs shill. They tried moving the showgrounds out of Wellington and, having run things into the ground, sold the show dates to Bellissimo. Were you here that last year under SJ control? Europeans and others were packing up early and going home because the footing was so bad. Leaking port-o-lets, no seating, etc..

The Jacobs and SJ nearly destroyed WEF.

Bellissimo and partners turned things around despite a down economy.
    Last edited by Welly Diva; Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Well, this is WACK. When you click on the link I provided above to get to Karen Robinson's interview with the mayor, it now says (for Chrome users at least) Access Denied, Malware Ahead. What could have caused that?
    Who nearly destroyed WEF is certainly up for debate. Carry on while I go back and review the facts.