The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shoot, i volunteered to make dh a special dinner--which means i have to cook!

what he wants sounds easy enough, a braised beef short rib thing with marrow bones in there too.
    he has a cast iron dutch oven thing i'll use, with a can of tomato paste and finely minced onion,celery and carrot.
    garlic too, since we're big fans of the stuff.
    served with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
    red wine and that's all, isn't it?

Sounds easy.

You're going to want to heat the dutch oven like a skillet. Add a little LITTLE oil. Saute' the onion and garlic. Onion in first. Garlic less time.

Then I would braise the beef too. (sear all sides before adding the liquid)

Then, add beef broth. You can make it with bullion cubes or use canned. Some of the red wine you are presumably going to serve with the meal. I also like to sprinkle some Worcestershire on the meat itself. Salt and pepper.

So now you have the beef in the pan with the brownings and beef broth. Cover and simmer for an hour or two. Or more. I may add a few peppercorns and bay leaves. The celery, but not for more than an hour. The carrots I like firm. Hubby likes them well cooked. So add carrots anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour before serving. Make sure you don't run out of liquid.

Oh, and the tomato paste. I imagine you would add that when you add the broth. I rarely use it but I know Rachel Ray does

1 members found this post helpful.

Tomato in cast iron can be bitter-unless the pan is lined with porcelain or enamel? If it isn't lined, I would add the tomato at the last minute with a tsp of sugar to take the edge off... or skip it-I don't use it either. Or use a can of tomatoes or cut up fresh and add it...-tomato paste can be over-powering.

Otherwise, you're golden!

Oh, and don't burn your onions while you are searing your beef. There is a fine line between having too much olive oil and waiting for the beef brownings to appear. Your onions can be just carmelising when you begin to work with your beef. If you wait too long, your onions and garlic will be over done by the time you add liquid. I do that too often.

it doesn't go in the oven then?!
    whew, good thing i posted or i would have stuck it in there for a couple of hours. i have it in my head that the resulting dish is sort of like a piece of beef which has been in the crockpot for a day.
    it is, isn't it?
    the dutch oven is lined with porcelain so no tomato worries. i may buy that tomato concentrate in the tube, is that more concentrated than paste?
    this will be for tomorrow or sunday so i'll hit the butcher's today.
    i so rarely cook this feels like a big deal!

Yes, that's what you will get. Stove top crock pot. You could probably put it in the oven depending if it's a completely cast iron piece. I've never had one where I wouldn't worry about melting the knobby.

I think the tube stuff is just like the can except you can save what you don't use. When I saw that on TV one day I immediately wanted it. I might use tomato paste more often if I had the tube.

I put my porcelain lined cast iron in the oven all the time-the knobby is indestructible!

the tube tomato paste is a good idea...

Inquiring minds want to know... how would you change my recipe if you were putting it in the oven? I've always been curious about a cast iron dutch oven but don't really know how I would use it. I got an earthenware baker once and my set habits made it useless.

For oven braised beef here's what I do: first, pat the meat dry w/paper towels. Salt and pepper it, then brown it in a little oil in the dutch oven (or in a frying pan). Remove browned meat, toss onions and celery in the hot oil, let them soften, then toss in the wine. Reduce it a bit and scrape up all the browned bits. Put meat, wine mixture, some water or stock in the dutch oven, toss in a few cloves of garlic, maybe a bay leaf, then put in the oven for a few hours at 275 (check every hour to see if you need to add more liquid). When the meat is tender, I take it out and chill the liquid so as to take off the fat. (It works well to make this the day before). Then when I reheat, I add some tomatoes, parsley, the carrots, sometimes potatoes.

Can I come over? It sounds delicious.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

One thing that seems to help any recipe that calls for salt and/or pepper is using fresh ground pepper, and freshly ground sea salt. You can get pre-loaded grinders in the spice section of your favorite grocery store. Such a small change, but an amazing flavor improvement.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

2 members found this post helpful.

RE: Sea Salt
    I use this: Borsari Seasoned Salt for everything.

Those of you who have a Wegman's in your area, it is sold under the Wegman's brand as Wegman's Garlic Herb Salt. You can pick it up at the meat counter or the spice aisle.

I swear I can't cook without it. I actually know the people who make it. I used to work horses for them. I drive past their farm when I go to the barn and on on a fresh June day, with the car window rolled down, you can smell the fresh herbs from the road. MMMmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter View Post
    For oven braised beef here's what I do: first, pat the meat dry w/paper towels. Salt and pepper it, then brown it in a little oil in the dutch oven (or in a frying pan). Remove browned meat, toss onions and celery in the hot oil, let them soften, then toss in the wine. Reduce it a bit and scrape up all the browned bits. Put meat, wine mixture, some water or stock in the dutch oven, toss in a few cloves of garlic, maybe a bay leaf, then put in the oven for a few hours at 275 (check every hour to see if you need to add more liquid). When the meat is tender, I take it out and chill the liquid so as to take off the fat. (It works well to make this the day before). Then when I reheat, I add some tomatoes, parsley, the carrots, sometimes potatoes.
    Sounds just like Rachel Ray Maybe some day I'll get myself a dutch oven.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Sounds just like Rachel Ray Maybe some day I'll get myself a dutch oven.
    YOU MUST. Le Creuset. They're expensive, but they're SO worth it. It's a pot that you'll have for the rest of your life. And you can literally make almost anything in it. Get an oval one. 5qt. You won't regret it.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Expensive? That's an understatement. I do have a piece of Le Creuset. Maybe next time I hit the outlet.

I don't have a Le Creuset (and the recent equine acquisition means it'll be some time before I do!). What I use is one of those oval shaped, dark blue/black with flecks enamel-covered metal ones.

I have over 50 pieces of vintage enamelware. I use the pots and such for canning. Never thought about using the dutch oven.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

suz - not to worry - it is really EZ-PZ
    I do pretty much what arbiter describes and have used both the heavy enameled cast iron (RIP my 20yo+ Le Creuset ) and a cheaper lightweight enameled version.
    Both in the oven with good results.

I love the tube tomato paste! Lasts a good long time and no oxidation.

Also: I like to use crosscut short ribs - the smaller blocky ones, not the longer, flatter English Cut ones.

AND I use the red wine as part of the braising liquid.

Now I am craving short ribs {insert drool icon}
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Enamel covered cast iron is GREAT!! Le Creuset or a knock off. Worth every penny. We got a nice knock off at Marshalls.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have two knock-offs, Lodge I think-I use those things probably twice a week each. I love them-I have many more pans that aren't enamel covered but boy I love those pans. Stove top, oven, from one to the other, they're my go-to cookwear. Love love love