The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff of flu shot thread -- Have those of you over 60 gotten your Shingles vac.?

I broke down and got mine this year. I had chicken pox when I was a kid, so I know that I carry the virus. Plus, a good friend got shingles last Summer and she was in misery for a long, long time. The vaccination doesn't totally prevent you from getting shingles, but it supposedly lessens the intensity if you do get it and it decreases your chance of contracting it altogether by about 50%

It's an expensive shot, and I had to pay for it myself, as I got Catch-22'd. My medical insurance would only cover it if my doctor gave it to me, but, my doctor doesn't have a freezer, so she couldn't stock the vaccine. And, you can't get a prescription, in this state at least, for it, take it to a drugstore to get it filled and then take the vaccine to your doctor to administer.

So, frugal person that I am, I hemmed and hawed for quite some time. Finally, Wegman's started offering it and it became so convenient that I just bit the bullet and got it done.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you can get the Shingles vaccination. DO. IT.

Had it on my face at age 41. I've written about it before, but trust me, it's not something you want to experience.

2 members found this post helpful.

I also had mine several years ago.
    Have friends that had shingles, not something I want, if I can help it.

No side effects at all, not even a bit sore where they gave it.

I got one this year. My late husband got shingles while undergoing chemo and he said shingles was the worst thing he endured. His was on his face, and just about drove him crazy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Shingles can creep up the optic nerve and damage it, some go blind from it, very serious.

I wanted to add, if you have shingles, go do a dermatologist and get treated, best if suitable with cortisone shots right off.

Many used to go to their regular physician, that would not be aggressive enough at the start and let it get ahead.
    Don't know if that is still so, but that is what the ones that had shingles years ago told me.

Being old enough to get this vaccine is the only thing about turning 60 that I look forward to.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Shingles totally sucks. Get the vaccine if you can.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

From what I understand, the shingles vaccine is supposed to work very, very well...as opposed to the flu vaccine, which doesn't.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had a mild case a year or so ago (I am about to turn 56), and actually posted about it on an O/T day. The horror stories were hair-raising!

I *really* lucked out, just had a small rash under my bra strap, a few tingles, and it resolved in a week or so (no pain.) My PCP put me on prednisone and something else, and gave me a script for pain meds (which I didn't need, so I am "hoarding" it! )

As SOON as 6 months had gone by after my symptoms abated, such that they were (the minimum waiting period), I went in and got the shot.

My mother got Shingles in her late 60's, early 70's, IIRC, and my father (now 87) went in and immediately got the shot himself; he has never contracted it.

Get the shot!!!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Very timely thread - I actually have an appointment to get my shingles vax today.

My husband got shingles a few years ago on the crown of his head. I figured out what it was and he got to the doctor pronto, so pain/time to heal was minimal. And that's the key -- know what the symptoms are and don't fool around with it.

I had chicken pox as a kid and last appointment, my doc asked me if I was interested in getting the shingles vaccine. I opted out. He said fine and good -- just come in immediately if I get that lovely burning sensation.

Shingles is nothing to fool around with. The vaccine can either prevent it, or in some cases make it much less severe. I had mine four years ago, and had to pay for all of it. My health insurance only pays for those 60 and up to get it, and I was younger (no, not much younger). I got my shot at the Pharmacy at the CVS, with a prescription from my doctor.

And if you suspect you have shingles go to the ER right away. They can give you antivirals that help lessen the severity, but it has to be during the first day or two.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Here the age limit has been dropped to 55. Also, because it is a preventative vaccine, some insurance companies are picking up the tab, so call and find out if they'll do that for you.

If you have to pay out of pocket, shop around. Mine ran $150. I heard about a medical practice that charged the wife $110 and the husband $247--same day, same vaccine--and billed it that way to the insurance company.

My arm swelled up and ached for about a week, but if that is the worst I'll have to deal with, so be it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

No, not yet, I've been procrastinating. But reading this thread has encouraged me to give my MD a call on Mon.
    From what I have heard shingles is incredibly painful, and the shot does help.
    Thanks for the thread, Louise.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Why over 60?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Why over 60?
    Most people infected by chicken pox as kids have good, strong immune systems that protect them well when younger.
    Most infected then had some other problem that weakened their immune system.

Once older, about 60, the immune system's functions start diminishing and the opportunistic virus can spring up again easily.

Thanks Bluey!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I am scared to DEATH of shingles! I didn't know there was an age limit or restriction; I planned to ask my doctor about it on my next visit (I'll be 54 next month). Both my mother and my older sister have had shingles, and that was enough to give me the phobia. My mother had shingles in her left eye and still has eye problems that I think may be related. I am a wuss about uncomfortable skin conditions -- I got poison ivy, ringworm, pittoriasis rosea (sp?) and many other odd things as a kid and young adult. Not something I'm going to mess around with.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Ask your doctor, they may have exceptions where they give it earlier.

Anyone know if, once you get shingles, if it recurs? I got it in my late 30s and it was pretty awful.