The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant_Dressing View Post
    Every barn has rodents, doesn't matter what base is in a stall.
    Yes, but thay can' t make the stall floor uneven if you have concrete floors.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The barn does not require wall to wall concrete; its just the corner posts of the stalls we ordered.

So my question should be:
    if you set your stall posts in concrete- how thick for support, and did you ever cut holes into an existing floor to set posts in?
    We have large warmbloods that will push on the stalls.

Concrete under your stalls is the very best thing for your horse's legs. Cover it with rubber mats/straw/mattresses or whatever you like but a hard even surface underneath will prevent leg problems. I have 4" throughout the barn with the posts set 2ft deep. Forget about "drainage" problems; if you bed the stalls properly you remove the wet stuff every morning. Lift mats off a gravel base and you will discover a rodent metropolis.
    1) Set posts, by pouring the concrete around them.
    2) Build barn, level the base.
    3) Pour concrete floors.

I don't understand why you would cut a hole in the concrete to put in a post, when you could pour the concrete around the post.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by 17Rider View Post
    The barn does not require wall to wall concrete; its just the corner posts of the stalls we ordered.

So my question should be:
    if you set your stall posts in concrete- how thick for support, and did you ever cut holes into an existing floor to set posts in?
    We have large warmbloods that will push on the stalls.
    So, we are not talking about structural support posts but just posts to attach stall walls to?
    If so knowing that would have saved me a lot of typing in my last post.
    I am a visual person when it comes to these things and I don’t know how and with what kind of materials the stalls will be constructed with. That being said posts being set to a depth of 6” in concrete should be sufficient. Not sure why the builder is going about it that way but I am not on the job site and they should have good reason. Seems to me it would be less work to set the post and the poor the concrete. Lot less work then cutting out lots holes, setting post and pouring a bit more concrete around them. Horses big or small bang around on stall walls and the post could come loose sitting in only 6”. This would put a lot more stress on the rest of the stall components. They could still cut the holes out but personally I would be more comfortable if the post we set below grade at least 2 feet and back filled with concrete. What size and material are the posts? Again, not seeing the project it’s really not fair of me to question the builders intentions and methods.