The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default flu shot or not?

I have never gotten the flu shot; however, with the tough season we're having, I'm rethinking it. Who has gotten the shot and still got the flu? Who has not, and either not gotten the flu or did?

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I'm firmly in the NOT category. I don't work in health care. I don't have kids that pick up germs like vacuums. I'm not elderly and I'm not immune-compromised in any way. I see no reason why I should get a shot (have I mentioned I HATE needles??)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

3 members found this post helpful.

No.

Never got one until two years in a row I suffered a nasty flu over the holidays. Since then I've gotten the flu shot & haven't gotten the "holiday flu". Obviously not much to go on, just one person & a few years experience but I'm not going into winter without one again!

I got one for the first time ever this year and I know LOGICALLY it probably is not a factor but I've been sick ever since. I'm not a fan of the flu shot-it didn't help me a bit.

I'm in the "do it" camp. My health care covers it, while I don't consider myself elderly, I am in my 60's which is old enough to have an immune system that may not be as sturdy as it used to be, and I see snuffling, hacking people in practically every store I go to, with their germy little hands all over everything. I don't know if they have the flu or a bad cold, but, I figure I'm going to be as protected as possible.

Besides, I had the flu once in my life. My goal is to never, ever have it again.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Another related question I wonder about - for those of you who don't get a flu shot yourself, do you give one to your horses? Ie, the 3 way, 5 way or 7 way? If not why the different standards?

Another factoid in my case, I work with parents of small children - see thread about "why do parents bring their sick kids to work" and you'll understand why I feel the need to protect myself!

Nope. Only time I've gotten a flu shot was when I was forced to when I was kid and everyone in the school district got one in the mid 70's.
    Besides I hate needles and my dr when I was a kidlet told me never to get another vacc if I can help it because apparently there is something I an allergic to as I get ill after receiving them. And I'd rather not be in the bathroom puking for four or five days...
    Friend of bar .ka

I don't get a flu shot. They are free where I work, but the one time I did get one, I was sick for two days afterwards with flu-like symptoms. I know there's not supposed to be a connection...

My DH gets one every year, and is usually fine, and doesn't get the flu. This year he got sick after getting his shot. I know there's not supposed to be a connection...

Eat healthy, wash your hands a lot, keep hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes handy, and try to stay away from sick people.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Never had one. Have had some nasty flus in the past when I was a teenager but nothing since. I should've picked up swine flu a couple years ago when DH was so sick with it, but apparently I had immunity via previous flu.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Absolutely! Had the flu once and came to understand how dangerous it is. I've never felt so debilitated. By the time I made it in to the doctor's office, I'd started to feel a bit better, but I had secondary bacterial infections (sinus, ear, strep throat), and it took me a couple weeks to regain my strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Never got one until two years in a row I suffered a nasty flu over the holidays. Since then I've gotten the flu shot & haven't gotten the "holiday flu". Obviously not much to go on, just one person & a few years experience but I'm not going into winter without one again!
    I used to get flu shot. But I kept also getting the "holiday flu" or "christmas flu" (funny you should call it that - me too!), I called it both of them. I have no idea what flu type I would get, but I usually got sick after getting a flu shot. My work would take the last two weeks of the year off, and I was ALWAYS sick.

Now, NO shots ever, and guess what, no more christmas flu. I used to get sick and stay sick for a couple weeks.

Maybe the flu shots weaken us, so we get another flu. Maybe the flu shots GIVE us "the" flu strain which was in the shot, and that is what we get for the flu. Nobody did any dna testing on me to figure out which strain of flu it was when I was sick.

I know I do not want any more made up chemicals, no matter the hype in the media or from the business owners pushing the shot. One place I saw said, "Get a flu shot, get a free turkey."

Flu shot medical theory is like hedging in the finance world.

Yes. Didn't do it for years, and got sick every year. Nothing terrible, just miserable. Started about 4 years ago and haven't been sick during flu season since. I'm not elderly and I don't have a compromised immune system, but I also don't have time to be out of commission for a week!

Also, for those of you with needle phobias (and I understand all too well that phobias are not logical so this may not help at all,) I find a flu shot to be barely a pin prick. I don't know if they're using smaller needles or different techniques or what these days, but it's really nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Another related question I wonder about - for those of you who don't get a flu shot yourself, do you give one to your horses?
    The flu vacc for horses is paired with rhino (EHV). Although there isn't a sure-fire way to prevent EHV-1 in neuro form, I've seen a horse die from that. And I won't take chances. The flu isn't terribly scary; EHV is.
    Jer 29: 11-13

The one and only time I got a flu shot, I was so sick with the flu that I had to go to the ER twice for IV fluids because I became so dehydrated and was so weak I couldn't hold myself up to shower for a week.

I haven't gotten one again.

I know there is supposedly no connection between the flu shot and then those who get sick, but I have never been that sick in my entire life, and that year it came following my one and only flu shot...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

That was exactly my experience-I think it either destroyed my immune system or I did the impossible and caught the flu from the vaccine! never again!

1 members found this post helpful.

I get my flu shot. I've had the flu and it as brutal. Also, I have an obligation to the population in which I live not to jeopardize herd immunity.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'm a teacher, so I'm exposed to every germ there is and then some, so I used to get the flu shot every year. Never had any side effects from it, but one year I did actually get the flu (confirmed case) over Spring Break. Through my fever, I argued with the doc that it wasn't the flu because I got a shot! But he then informed me that the shot is only good for 4-6 months. I had the shot in October, got the flu in April. Now, I just take my chances without going through the trouble of getting the shot...
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

No way.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...on-draws-near/

'Last month,, in a step tantamount to heresy in the public health world, scientists at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota released a report saying that influenza vaccinations provide only modest protection for healthy young and middle-age adults, and little if any protection for those 65 and older, who are most likely to succumb to the illness or its complications. Moreover, the report’s authors concluded, federal vaccination recommendations, which have expanded in recent years, are based on inadequate evidence and poorly executed studies.

“We have overpromoted and overhyped this vaccine,” said Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, as well as its Center of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance. “It does not protect as promoted. It’s all a sales job: it’s all public relations.”'
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I do, but then I get coughed on while riding public transit 45 minutes each way to work. I got so sick for the first three years, until I started getting flu shots. They have really helped (or I now have some crazy immune system as a result of my daily exposure.)

A coworker caught H1N1 and I still got a light form of it in spite of being vaccinated, and it was AWFUL. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It took her over a month to be able to walk a few blocks, it wiped her out so badly. I was sick for about a week to her three weeks.