The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did my husband rent a room from you?

Seriously, I love the man but I'm about ready to make him live in a tent in the yard. He somehow un-learned how to maintain a semi-clean living space in the 3 years he's been inactive duty. Garbage left wherever (I have beer bottle caps strewn on my LIVING ROOM FLOOR!), dirty dishes with food left to rot on the counter, dirty laundry strewn wherever it was taken off. I quit acting as his maid and now he complains that the place is a pig stye, never has any clothes to wear and claims all the dishes are dirty because *I* don't do them.

I have no advice, other than not to marry the slob.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Well, a bit of a surprise... he paid me January rent today... in full... and early! I think he felt bad about missing my request yesterday. I did mention the FB thing to him. Not sure if he knows I'm serious or not, but I will be doing it.

And he was more than aimiable to the idea of cancelling cable. A bit of a shock but YAY!! I'll be calling those folks tomorrow and seeing if they want to lose me or cut me a deal.

On the icky end... he finally picked up the mountain dew bottles in his tv room (only that room) and they filled an entire kitchen size trash bag! WOW (and GROSS all at the same time).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

2 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Wait...didn't he pay half rent for two months (Oct. Nov.) and paid you fully for Dec, so he still owed you a month?
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

I lived with that guy, too, except he was never late with rent. If dishes got to the kitchen, they'd end up in the dishwasher, but he never emptied it. He never once bought TOILET PAPER. He would have moldy coffee cups in his room and slept with pizza boxes in his bed. His clothes were strewn knee-deep on his bedroom floor. The only time he vacuumed in 9 months was the day he moved out.

I was just about to raise his rent to cover my "maid" duties when I got cancer. He moved out shortly after but stiffed me on notice and part of the last month's rent because "it was uncomfortable living with" me.

Messaging on FB is a better idea than posting to his wall: it gives a time-stamp of when he's read it

The other good place to leave a note is taped to the toilet in such a manner that he has to move it to lift the seat or flush.

My son had a similar idea of "housekeeping" when he lived with me as a late teen, even though he had chores, etc as a child. He's now off at college with roommates. He figured out pretty fast that if he doesn't keep things clean, stirring up dust (and dust mites) is the fast track to an asthma attack. He'll call me and bitch about how messy they are
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I would suggest a weekly and monthly list. Such as, at a minimum, he will empty all the trash cans 3 times a week,run and empty the dishwasher 3 times a week, etc.

If that seems too picky, you two need to set, and agree on, written rules of SOME sort. this whole 'just tell me' is lazy on his part and onerous on yours.