The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about your finished barn ceiling...

Tough to phrase for the information I'm looking for, but I'm trying to sort out how best to finish the ceiling in the barn we will start building next week.
    I'd really like to finish the ceiling with wood, like this: http://www.lucasequine.com/images/bin/1039.jpg

But to those of you in barns with finished ceilings, does the heat get trapped up in there in the summer?

While pretty...that was too costly for me. We are finishing the ceiling in the aisle with the same wood as the walls (similar to your photo) but for the ceiling in the stalls, we are just doing a light colored metal. Point was to limit the cobweb growing places. In the barns I've been in, I wouldn't say they were hotter just because the ceiling was finished but they were MUCH easier to keep clean.

If money was no object....then I would have done wood in the stalls too but I didn't win the lottery and I'd rather put the auto waters in the stalls
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The inside of my house looks like that Lucas pic. Does your barn have a sloped ceiling like that?

There's no attic for air to be awfully trapped. Most roof tops (sheds/ barns) are made with a gap with a ridge cover, to allow air to escape up the peak. Houses use whirly birds.. that suck air out of the attic. If you have a flat ceiling, air is going to be trapped up there, and condensation.

One thing I notice in our house, is critters love wood. I do too, but I can't clean it.
    Wood holds moisture/ smell too I think.

That is pretty, but it seems to have no other purpose. I love the look, but it doesn't cover the skeleton of the building. Where this barn has wood, I have black-covered two-inch thick insulation. I love having insulation in my arena and in my barn - better in winter and in summer.

To give you and idea. Here is one of my aisles (barn is still under construction). The ceiling in the aisle will be enclosed with the same wood as the walls. I've been in several barns with ceilings like this and they are fine. The stalls in my barn open up into the loft. That is where I'm saving costs a bit and not using wood to enclose. It would look nice if I could afford it be decided it isn't what you will really notice. We needed to enclose it though to make it easier to clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	37407  
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 29, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

You fit vents in the ridge to ventilate the hot air, which you can open or close.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thanks for the responses, all! The barn will be open (no loft) and will be sloped.
    the current barn has a loft and ten foot ceilings, with vinyl wainscoting down the aisle and metal roofing material in the stalls. It was delightful to keep clean. I didn't think the sloped, open ceiling would look right with metal, so we are likely going to eat ramen for the next year and finish it off with wood.

Bf, do you mind me asking what stall front company you went with?

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Bf, do you mind me asking what stall front company you went with?
    My builders did the wood work themselves. The doors and metal are from a local company to us called Fry Brothers. http://www.freybrothersinc.com/estalls.php

They will custom pretty much whatever you want. Mine are small grid and open like racing barns in my area. Doors are mounted in the middle so I didn't do a 'feed' door since I can hang the feed tubs in a way that are easy to reach from the door (and have been in barns where feed doors have caused issues).

With what you described your barn is....I'd probably also finish it in wood as well. For mine, we are doing metal in the stalls and I don't think it will be as noticable. Easy to clean was high on my list When I win the lottery and I can always refinish it!

ETA: I will take credit for the different stains on the wood. The bottom wood is special pressure treated wood and had a slight green tint to it. I told them that I though it would look good if they put a darker stain on it. I think it came out great My builders are really good with their wood work...they also built me a really nice blanket room up in the loft. Really simple but I'm super excited about it. Also serves to enclose the stairs to the loft and keep the dust from coming down into the barn.

Here are the photos from my barn so far...indoor will be attached....yes, I too will be living on PBJ and Ramen for a while

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9558233&type=3
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 30, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

That Lucas ceiling is gorgeous. I'd suggest you put the insulation in that has the reflective silver side up against the roof, thereby reflecting as much of the summer heat back up as possible. We have that, silver top side up against roof, bottom side is white with a netting that keeps the birds from nesting in it, and insulation in between. You could then finish the interior off with tongue and groove boards up against the insulation. Gorgeous!!!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

We used Plybead, which is cheaper than T&G and that high up with stain the same as the stall walls it looks great. Will warp a bit along the seams so be sure to use plenty of nails when installing.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ply-bea...l#.UODahXfeftA

Use a medium maple colored stain so the fly poop will blend in. On a high sloped roof you don't want to be up there cleaning. In one barn I left it more of a blond color and have regretted that choice!

For our roofing, we used metal with a high reflectivity rating. This type of metal eflects the heat from the sun. Something is added to the paint on the metal and the color doesn't determine the amount of reflected heat, the paint does.

I finished both the aisle and stall ceilings with plywood, because really, who looks up? And besides, I was paying for it so there were limits. It did not trap the heat and it didn't block the cold either.

This was my barn in Brightwood. Which I think you saw when you and your mom came to pick up Zoey.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I used the white ribbed vinyl that is used in agricultural buildings and so far am very happy with it. Not too pricey, very easy to install, easy to clean and very bright. I hate dark barns! We put the vinyl on the ceiling and ran it 2 feet down the wall to meet the wood on the walls.