The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Anyone up for a quick trip to the USOC and/or the USA Anti-Doping office this week? Or maybe I can just ask the coworkers who have f/t careers at those offices on our next UTA weekend (of which there are more than a handful...the offices were rather empty during the Olympics this summer!)...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

From the Humble/killed a pony/Williams case:
    Ms. Mandarino did not attend the hearing, citing a death in the family. Instead, she produced statements attacking the motives of her critics and offering praise from clients, federation members and veterinarians.
    From the Marks/verbal abuse case/RoyalT:

Two other significant factors impacted on the resolution of this matter. One factor was a reported death in Ms. Mandarino's family that kept her from attending the hearing. Thus, the Hearing Committee was not given the opportunity to hear Ms. Mandarino's live testimony and weigh her credibility first hand.
    Guess that's allegedly one way for your attorneys to keep you out of court/quiet.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post
    In case you have not read the nj complaint, there is already a lawsuit outstanding so it is not a threat. Anonymous harassment and defamation must be put to an end and I plan on achieving that.
    You will lose this lawsuit. Your lawyer is doing you a disservice if he or she is encouraging you to sue the Chronicle for comments posted on the forum. Look up section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. It specifically states that website owners are NOT liable for defamatory comments posted by users.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    May as well throw whoever had Humble under the bus too...

Forget the boxed wine and popcorn, it's New Years Eve. Bubbly stuff and shrimp cocktail for me-anyone want to share while we wait for the inevitable lock?

I think threatening to sue any poster in disagreement is worthy of a brand new ban.

Oh, yeah, thanks Tha Ridge, a puppy mill was included in past threads under the old screen name. I couldn't remember the details.

I had been feeling a bit down about being alone on NYE, having to work in the morning and not having anyplace fun to go. Now, I am here with some broiled scallops, a pleasant cabernet (yes, I know... white food with red wine...) and another in the many great EM threads. It's the MAJICK of the holidays I tell you!
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreet View Post
    For all you legal eagles......how many states have anti-SLAPP laws?
    Massachusetts does.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    DMK, (and others) -- What is the therapeutic benefit of giving a gelding a female hormone? What therapeutic issue is that addressing? (Unless the pony is having sexual orientation problems it is trying to resolve.)
    Well, duh, didn't you hear her say these drugs were preventatives? He was on Depo and Estrone to prevent him from getting pregnant

17 members found this post helpful.

Here is the link to the USEF Transcript of the Humble (Kristen Williams) Hearing just to prove I have NOTHING to hide:

http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...ranscript.html

Take note on how the hearing committee drills her.
    Is there anywhere else I can read that? I'm not sure if its just that I'm on my iPad but I can't make out a lot of those words. Same with the Marks one

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Well, duh, didn't you hear her say these drugs were preventatives? He was on Depo and Estrone to prevent him from getting pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Massachusetts does.
    I believe NY does as well.

The reason this is important (for those unfamiliar w/SLAPP -- or Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation) is that the SLAPP legislation protects people from being sued for expressing opinions in public on matters of public interest. It would protect people who express opinions about Ms. Mandarino, who is almost certainly considered a public figure at this point.
    Last edited by SMF11; Dec. 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Champagne on tablet. Thank you for making my evening!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    From the Humble/killed a pony/Williams case:

From the Marks/verbal abuse case/RoyalT:

Guess that's allegedly one way for your attorneys to keep you out of court/quiet.

MistyBlue, in those cases that you referenced, did Elizabeth Mandarino use that same excuse for 2 different cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateHooves View Post
    Is there anywhere else I can read that? I'm not sure if its just that I'm on my iPad but I can't make out a lot of those words. Same with the Marks one
    Very hard to read on my IPad too.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Her daughter still has Royal T as her profile picture so I can assume her daughter had a wonderful experience riding my beautiful pony who by the way she continued to show after Humble's death and even stayed for the Pony Hunt Teams. If she thought I was illegally drugging my ponies, common sense would tell her not to allow her daughter to mount my pony. If it were me, I would not have allowed my daughter to mount him if I had a doubt in my mind. She obviously wasnt too worried and had alterior motives as she sent me threatening emails afterwards to refund her monies as that was my "least expensive option".
    Is this when you have house guests over so that they can post on your behalf using various screen names?
    The Evil Chem Prof

Holy crap. If I were EM/AH attorney(s) I would cut my wrists. This is an unbelievable thread. Wow. Just wow.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    USEF posted a response on their website, here:
    http://www.usefnetwork.com/news/9441..._york_tim.aspx
    I go on vacation for a minute and all hell breaks loose (as I predicted, by the way).

Long's trotting out of the USEF D&M committee's work on GABA entirely misses the point. Since it's inception, it has played "catch up" with pharmacists, banning the drugs it could create tests for. But that leaves out entirely stuff like Magnesium found at some levels in undrugged horses. It's still illegal to use that (or anything else) for "performance enhancing purposes," so the USEF needs to create procedures for catching trainers who use these difficult-to-detect substances.

The suggestion made early in this thread, that requires the person signing the "trainer" line on the entry from to submit all necropsy results for a horse they drug so badly that it dies on show grounds would be a start.

Any legal problem with this?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateHooves View Post
    I am participating in this thread, but Ms.Williams is NOT the competitors mother. She was the mother of the girl who leased Royal T, and her daughter attends the same school as the rider of Humble.
    The NYT article names Carrie Ray as both a steward and the mother who was leasing Humble for her kid at Devon. Please tell me Ray was not officiating as Steward at Devon. IIRC, that Steward's report was piss poor: All it said was that she came upon a dead pony. Were Ray a client of Mandarino's and an official, I'd say there was a conflict of interest large enough to choke a pony.

Anyone know if Ray was the Steward who filed that report?

Otherwise, Stewards are not allowed to officiate at shows where they have horses competing, right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well they "caught" a gaggle of them(Carolina Gold), yet STILL nothing has happened....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Dear Chronicle of the Horse,

I love you dearly, but this should have been YOUR story.

May the new year 2013 bring you the courage to stand up and do real journalism when our community needs it most.

Big thanks to the NYT for this A1 (in several ways) report. The video was excellent.
    Much better that this appeared in the NYT. Were it limited to the Chronicle, it would remain an inside issue and the USEF would feel little pressure to change.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by adhock View Post
    A the picture that the "pony mom" took with her cell phone of the meds list (reported in The NYT story) is harrowing and appalling.
    NYT reports that Williams took this snapshot *before* Humble died. Something was already wrong in her relationship with Mandarino. IME, most owners either don't know or vaguely approve of what trainers do in terms of medication. They don't look for evidence of excesses without cause.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The NYT article names Carrie Ray as both a steward and the mother who was leasing Humble for her kid at Devon. Please tell me Ray was not officiating as Steward at Devon. IIRC, that Steward's report was piss poor: All it said was that she came upon a dead pony. Were Ray a client of Mandarino's and an official, I'd say there was a conflict of interest large enough to choke a pony.

Anyone know if Ray was the Steward who filed that report?

Otherwise, Stewards are not allowed to officiate at shows where they have horses competing, right?
    I believe it would be against the rules for an exhibitor showing and a steward officiating at the same show to be related.

I also believe the steward who filed the official report at Devon was a man, although I don't recall his name off the top of my head.