The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Very. Especially for an important show like Devon. Most people keep a regular adequan schedule and use legend show-by-show, but for a show like that you would adjust your adequan schedule if necessary to get the peak effect. And some of those that don't usually double their legend for regular shows do so for Devon.
    Oddly enough...medicating horses is usually recommended and dosed based on each individual animal's immediate health needs as opposed to how important each show may be.

But then that's when moral vets do the medicating as opposed to owners, trainers and riders attempting to make uneducated medical decisions based on possible projected income or ribbon placings.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Keep googling EM. You're not shocking anyone. We all know who Laurierace is...she signs her posts with her website too.

Google Laurie's name and you come up with a few pages...mainly all about her business (no bad press) and one blog crabbing that she outed someone for shady business in an attempt to protect horses.

Now Google YOUR name.

Reams of pages...mostly about you being sued for screwing people over, you sueing John and Jane Dohs for not kissing your hiney, you attempting to promote yourself, you being suspended, you killing a pony, you griping on multiple BBs about people not kissing yoour hiney and mentioning your lack of experience, you starting ad running a business that promotes and financially supports puppy mills with obviously bad practices of breeding and selling sick animals, etc.

Huh. Guess you showed Laurie! Way to go!
    according to my coth sources, she also ALLEGEDLY got in a lot of trouble with CANTER for trying to donate a horse off the track with fractures that she didn't disclose. don't have a link for that though.
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Very. Especially for an important show like Devon. Most people keep a regular adequan schedule and use legend show-by-show, but for a show like that you would adjust your adequan schedule if necessary to get the peak effect. And some of those that don't usually double their legend for regular shows do so for Devon.

Funny, considering there is research out there that indicates a negating effect they have on each other when administered concurrently. Additionally, studies show that the dosage effect of doubling does NOTHING to help the horse, given that sodium hyaluronate only affects the synovial membrane and not the cartilage.

Glad to know that there are some very uneducated trainers, vets, officials and riders out there. Then again, Gamboa was once (and still is in certain circles) considered a top vet.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Yes, it was a very nice pony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5oTlVKo1o
    Very cute pony and not to derail a serious conversation, but that fake tail looks like it weighs more than the poor pony does.

6 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

nope, many horses get both, and at least a few years ago, a common vet recommended protocol was to give 1 shot of adequan and legend every 2 weeks, alternating (i.e., monthly shot adequan, monthly shot of legend, just not at the same time). That may have changed since the preferred administration of adequan is the 7/4 method.

Making an issue out of adequan/legend given the day of/day before the show is to hugely miss the point, and probably doesn't help the real issue by creating a nice little diversion (seriously, pat yourselves on the backs). Also while that daily meds list was impressive... guess what? It was legal under the therapeutic rule. What point is there in trashing a single person (who has plenty of other issues and problems that need addressing) over a practice which you may not like, but is part of the legally accepted medications in the rule. The "fix" for THAT problem is to become a member and lobby for change. If you aren't doing either of those things then you are having a faulkneresque moment (Sound. Fury. Signifying nothing). Route of administration of said drugs? Really? Who cares unless that route creates a very specific condition that violates the rules (i.e., oral vs. IV Mg).

On the other hand, the inability of the organization to address the death of an animal at one of their sanctioned shows? Problem. The breadth of the therapeutic rule and what can be given and when? Problem. Who can sign an entry blank? Problem. The scope of illegal drugs and ability to test them? Problem. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 1, 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: personal commentary
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

4 members found this post helpful.

according to my coth sources, she also ALLEGEDLY got in a lot of trouble with CANTER for trying to donate a horse off the track with fractures that she didn't disclose. don't have a link for that though.
    Yeah, and according to Coth sources shampoo is toxic and kills horses and a horse's tail is a single long bone.

According to the general showing public...*you* are allegedly quite well known. Not in the famous way...more of the infamous-lord-don't-be-connected-to-THAT-name way. Allegedly. Hearsay. I also do not have a link for that...

Oh, and run your posts by one of your many attorneys first. Because you've accused others of libel for a hella lot less than your attempt to discredit Laurie for pointing out your obvious lack of keeping your stories straight.
    Last edited by MistyBlue; Dec. 31, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: adding and spelling
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12 members found this post helpful.

DMK, (and others) -- What is the therapeutic benefit of giving a gelding a female hormone? What therapeutic issue is that addressing? (Unless the pony is having sexual orientation problems it is trying to resolve.)
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Very cute pony and not to derail a serious conversation, but that fake tail looks like it weighs more than the poor pony does.
    My guess is that the tail provides a counter balance for the shift in weight by that MUCH TOO BIG FOR THE PONY rider. When she goes forward over a jump, her chin is practically at the pony's ears.

But, I guess that, since Humble was for sale back then (in May of 2010), it was necessary to have an older and bigger rider ride the pony so it won some ribbons. Since the pony never sold, my guess is that it was not priced competitively for the market. Either that or no one wanted a small pony that could not win with an appropriate-sized rider on it.
    Last edited by Lord Helpus; Dec. 31, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post

And you got in trouble with the USEF for a horse death at a show. Regretfully, the published necropsy results you have presented can be argued for/against your case presented given there is no definitive cause. However, the report did state, "The pony could have succumbed to peracute hypersensitivity reaction - an overwhelming allergic response to medications or environmental triggers to which this animal has become increasingly sensitive."

Seems to me that a few fingers are pointing directly at you in the necropsy.

21 members found this post helpful.

Here is the link to the USEF Transcript of the Humble (Kristen Williams) Hearing just to prove I have NOTHING to hide:

http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...ranscript.html

Take note on how the hearing committee drills her.
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

EM, I spend over 12weeks on the road at a time in Australia. This includes once or twice a week trips that usually take well over 5 hours. I have NEVER had to give my horse a drug before it competed. Instead I behave like a real horse person and take each horse for long walks all through the day. I get up as earlier as I have to make sure every horse is walked before breakfast. I then like to saddle them up and take them for a nice big walk before their first class I use this time to assess whether the horse will be ok to compete. If it is too stiff and sore the first day after a long trip then I SCRATCH IT! Any time I am not on a horse I am making sure all mine have enough time out of the stable so they are not sore. but your probably to lazy to Put in the real hard yards of proper horseman ship. Why would you if you could just jab darling ponies with a cocktail of drugs.

If your horses aren't up to competing without 15 drugs then it shouldn't be competing full [edit] stop.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 1, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: language

11 members found this post helpful.

Here is the link to the USEF Transcript of the Humble (Kristen Williams) Hearing just to prove I have NOTHING to hide:

Take note on how the hearing committee drills her.
    That is about as clear as mud.

No really, I can't read it at all.....too blury.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

1 members found this post helpful.

Estrone is sometimes prescribed for geldings with stifle issues. Either tightens or loosens, I don't recall which. I believe, tightens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    DMK, (and others) -- What is the therapeutic benefit of giving a gelding a female hormone? What therapeutic issue is that addressing? (Unless the pony is having sexual orientation problems it is trying to resolve.)

Whew. Thought it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by englishivy View Post
    That is about as clear as mud.

No really, I can't read it at all.....too blury.

And here is the Marks Dismissal Ruling and Transcript:

Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

And here is the Marks Dismissal Ruling and Transcript:

Except those are from a DIFFERENT case against you! Just how many times have you been in front of a disciplinary committee?

32 members found this post helpful.

I can't read that one either. *shrug*

EM, seriously, why is it so important to you to prove your innocence here? It's a BB. Who cares what they think? You won't be able to change their opinion, even if Humble rose from the dead and told us all that aliens zapped him from space.

If I were in your shoes (which would be a rather strange occurance as we are very different people), I would remain silent and steadfast, allowing my *ahem* 9 lawyers handle the situation.

I would focus my efforts on continuing forward with training my ponies and preparing for the winter circuits. I would be spending time with my daughter on this New Years Eve (which is where I am headed so you won't get a response from me should you address this post).

It's just getting too much to digest anymore.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

9 members found this post helpful.

Just hit print and print them out... as parents, my husband and I are ALWAYS with our children. And read the complaint and it will all make sense.
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Since the pony never sold, my guess is that it was not priced competitively for the market. Either that or no one wanted a small pony that could not win with an appropriate-sized rider on it.
    Or the most obvious option: any prospective buyer would see the long list of medications the pony was getting and concluded that it couldn't possibly be sound and/or safe, and also that it came from an unethical seller.
    Last edited by JER; Dec. 31, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    While I think think this pony was getting way too many drugs, getting Legand - and Adaquan - the day of competition is fairly normal practice. Back during the '96 Olympics, the Racehorse farm I worked at hosted two teams, and quite a few indiviuals, and rare was the horse that was NOT getting Adaquan or Legend shots.

Now, I don't think that justifies it, but I would rather see a horse on Legand or Adaquan then say, Bute, Banimine, etc.
    Adequan and Legend are valuable additions when used appropriately.

However... this pony ALSO had banamine (and Robaxin) administered.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket