The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Um, no finding of "innocence" was ever made, USEF declined to uphold the protest due to lack of specific evidence of wrongdoing.There is a difference.

So the Pony was obviously sore and needed robaxin and may have had an upset tummy for the banamine and was injected with something else that AM also acceptable to keep it going and get it around the show ring. We may need to think a little about the environment that makes that OK as opposed to rest and watching the workload.

And I am all for approved substances used for therapeutic reasons...just not all at once on a sore animal.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    ...somewhere, a lawyer is banging their head on a desk repeatedly!
    I'm banging my head, and I'm not even HER lawyer
    OK, I just have to say; for me, this is the COTH Funniest Quote of the Year!
    Holy, this BB is certainly ending the year with a bang!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

9 members found this post helpful.

and my complaint in NJ also has much to do with the following as it all comes full circle:

By MICHELE DARGAN, Daily News Staff Writer
    Sunday, August 16, 2009
    For nearly two years, members of the horse show world have been roiled by a Web site that has spewed venom and gossip about young and old alike.

Now, the alleged creator of the site has had the tables turned on him, after being outed on Facebook last week as the site's mastermind.
    A longtime employee of Palm Beachers John and Marianne Castle, Matthew Trent has been named as the owner/operator of a snarky Web site called horseshowdiva.com by several members of the horse show community.
    Diva took shots at everyone — from high-profile grand prix riders to children in the pony classes. Remarks on the site heated up, in particular, during the 12-week Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington.
    Horse show public-relations guru Mason Phelps posted Trent's photo on his Facebook page last week and listed him as the person responsible for the Diva site.
    Since then, dozens of people — riders, trainers, judges and others — have posted information about Trent, confirming he is the man behind the curtain.
    Phelps, owner of Phelps Media and Phelpssports.com, said some of his clients were upset by malicious comments directed at them.
    "Some of my clients, who did their own investigative work, exposed Matt Trent as the responsible party for the Web site," Phelps said. "I threw it out to the public and was amazed at the amount of feedback I got that pointed the finger at Matt Trent. I have had countless phone calls, e-mails and Facebook responses from friends, fellow horse people and people I don't even know."
    Sources confirmed that Trent administered the site and posted under the name "El Insider." Other user names, such as Yellow Dog and Alley Cat, are purportedly associates of Trent, sources say.
    Calls to Trent's cell phone were returned by a man with a thick accent claiming to own a trucking company in New Jersey and having no knowledge of Trent. When told the caller ID showed Matthew Trent, the man said he needed to talk to the cell phone company to get the name changed.
    Minutes later, a call was placed to the Castles' barn where Trent works and the barn phone was answered by Jose, an employee who confirmed the phone number was Trent's.
    Jose then called the same phone number from his cell phone — with a reporter holding on the barn phone — and Trent answered. Trent could be heard through Jose's cell phone saying to him, "I don't want to talk to anybody. I have a lawyer dealing with this."
    After the Facebook outing last week, all contents on the Diva site disappeared, with a message saying the Diva was on vacation. The site reappeared Monday, minus all its previous posts.
    A restructuring also occurred, which only allowed those who are approved and registered on the site to view it. As of Wednesday, the site lists 402 registered users.
    Trent, 39, in the past has gone by the name Matthew Avitable.
    Jennifer Reid, a horse show competitor, has lived in Wellington her entire life and has known Trent for years. She considered Trent a friend at one point and remembers when he was in the early stages of developing the Web site.
    "I know with 100 percent certainty that Matt is running the site," Reid said. "He loves gossip. He told my friend that he was "El Insider" and his close friends know it's him. He said he wanted to be the Perez Hilton of Wellington because there is a lot of drama at the horse shows, and he wanted to become famous by creating this site."
    John Castle said Trent has worked for him on a part-time basis for many years, exercising his horses. Trent works with the horses at Castle Bay Farm, located at Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Westchester County, New York, during the summer and in Wellington during the winter.
    But Castle said he doesn't know anything about the Diva site or even that it existed.
    "I have no knowledge of what he does personally," Castle said by phone from his New York office. "When it comes to a gossip site, it's a matter of great concern that people can go on a site and say all kinds of awful things. From my point of view, all sites should require registration."
    Castle also said he was unaware Trent was charged in 2006 with misdemeanor animal cruelty in Miami-Dade County. According to court records, Trent pleaded not guilty and entered a pre-trial diversion/deferred prosecution program. The charges were dropped after he completed the program, which is similar to probation for first-time offenders.
    "Anything he has done around us has always been very professional," Castle said. "He's always been a perfect gentleman to us, and sensitive and kind to the animals. We wouldn't have kept him around for five minutes if he had been anything else. We treat our animals better than our children."
    Top hunter rider/trainer Scott Stewart has been the target of nasty remarks on the Web site, but says the comments about him were not nearly as cruel as those posted about others, including one of his pony riders.
    Stewart also said he believes many of the outwardly cruel remarks came from a small group of people involved in the local South Florida circuit.
    "They were personal attacks, saying terrible things about a lot of people, most of them untrue," Stewart said.
    Stewart said he and others at the Winter Equestrian Festival figured out that Trent was taking unflattering photos of people and posting them on Diva.
    "We all saw him taking pictures and everyone tried to get pictures of him on their cell phones," he said. "He obviously knew that we knew who he was."
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post
    Dr. Reed is very well respected in his field and opines on the necropsy. By the way , I am not your honey. If you do not understand the letter, his contact information is included.
    Oh, honey, you are so right, Dr. Reed ONLY comments on the necropsy and NOT in the cause of death. In other words, the letter does NOTHING to establish your claim, "It took me a bit to get it uploaded.... this should put an end to the naysayers."

As to your statement, "The necropsy states "emerging lung disease." the letter does not back that up either. It only notes the eosinophilia which can also be an indicator of allergies and no specific "lung disease."

Again, you have no idea what you are stating, and to me only proving more ignorance.

23 members found this post helpful.

A relative newbie's point of view: Expecting the USEF to police the "industry" is no different than asking Wall Street to police itself. There are very few (if any) teeth there, and, more importantly, I expect that there is really no desire or will on the part of the USEF to project that kind of authority. If they do, dues-paying members may get mad, donations may suffer, etc. Fox and the hen house...

Should trainers, owners and riders have a solid base foundation of ethics? Absolutely! And add some common sense for good measure. But when you throw money, human ego and human competition into the mix, the animals will come out on the short end 99 times out of 100.

We saw a pony collapse in its stall at 2012 Pony Finals. We did not know the pony, owner, trainer, or any details at all. We just saw him laying there and the red tape was put up and the forklift came. It is very easy to speculate...human error, intentional doping, natural causes? We don't know and will never know, but one thing was very clear to us afterwards - there was a strong reluctance the remainder of the week to even acknowledge it had happened. That's part of the problem too...

Now, about Humble: I have no personal knowledge at all about what happened at Devon. Nor do I know EM...I have never met or talked with her. So I will not offer any opinions about Humble or EM, other than to say I am sure Humble was a good pony who tried his hardest to do his job.

But I will offer some free advice to EM: You should stop posting on this forum or any other public forum, including FB, until your cases are resolved. You said in an earlier post that you have 9 attorneys in various states working on various judicial and administrative actions. Assuming that is true, if they have not told you to stop posting, you should really consider obtaining more competent counsel. On the other hand, if they have requested that you stop, but you continue to post anyway, you are only shooting yourself in the foot and making it harder for counsel to do their job (which ultimately means you will end up paying them more in hourly billings).

Remember this...at the end of the day, when cases are resolved and long forgotten about, the court of public opinion will have judged us too, and in many ways, this may prove to be more harsh and unforgiving than any decision issued by a judge or ALJ...

7 members found this post helpful.

What part of "Any substance given with the intent of altering performance is illegal" don't you GET????

I managed a large, well-known show barn of around 40 horses, for 6 years, and NEVER had a horse drop dead at a show. Funny, that. Our horses also didn't walk around with 7-8 drugs in their systems at a show.

Humble's list of meds reads like a horse who should've been on stall rest. The fact that Ms. Mandarino doesn't get THAT shows us what kind of "horsewoman" she is. Not any kind at all, as she just keeps making clearer and clearer.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BWW View Post

But I will offer some free advice to EM: You should stop posting on this forum or any other public forum, including FB, until your cases are resolved. You said in an earlier post that you have 9 attorneys in various states working on various judicial and administrative actions. Assuming that is true, if they have not told you to stop posting, you should really consider obtaining more competent counsel. On the other hand, if they have requested that you stop, but you continue to post anyway, you are only shooting yourself in the foot and making it harder for counsel to do their job (which ultimately means you will end up paying them more in hourly billings).
    Why help her out? If she wants to pick up a shovel and continue digging, let her! She has never been able to keep her mouth shut...does no one remember when she used to post on her as PonyMom something? Sorry, can't remember her old username.
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

3 members found this post helpful.

And here I was thinking we really did not have a true Trainwreck of the Year for 2012?

By now EM should have learned that the more you respond on threads, the more they stay at the top of the page...but maybe she likes that? Threatening those who disagree or post on your public facebook wall with legal action is a nice touch though.

7 members found this post helpful.

Gosh, this thread is fun.

Maybe I'm misreading Dr. Reed's letter because to me it's hardly evidence that removes all doubt as to any outside action causing Humble's death. In fact, he said (more than once,) that he found the necropsy's conclusion "puzzling". Specifically, he said, "I am puzzled because I would have anticipated that it would take hours not minutes for eosinophilis to be attracted to the lungs and liver as were described in this case..." He goes on to use phrase such as "it has not been my experience" and "this is a puzzlement to me".

Based on his own words, Dr. Reed doesn't seem to be a key witness in your defense. Actually, I read his letter as his being puzzled by the suggestion that Humble died instantly from a lung issue and that he (Dr. Reed) "would be worried" that there was some other cause...

Frankly the letter casts doubt on your 'a diseased lung caused Humble's death' defense.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

14 members found this post helpful.

Oh, you mean it's not TOTALLY PLAUSIBLE to all of us, that this apparently healthy horse just dropped dead of a completely-undiagnosed horrible lung disease? Shocked, just shocked, I tell ya. (It'd be funny if there weren't a dead horse at the end of the story.)

Sounds to me that even in EM's own scenario, she's a pretty poor excuse for a "trainer". Horse had such terrible lung disease that he literally DROPPED DEAD in the crossties, yet was well enough to be leased for Devon? Horse required enough injections to fell an elephant, yet was well enough to be entered at Devon? Really, Ms. Mandarino? You know you can keep saying it, but nobody's dumb enough to believe it. I hope.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

8 members found this post helpful.

PONYMOM 67 is her old tag but it's not an active username so old threads can't be found by user name...but the Bedazzled one comes up by title and it's a whopper of a read.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    PONYMOM 67 is her old tag but it's not an active username so old threads can't be found by user name...but the Bedazzled one comes up by title and it's a whopper of a read.
    Someone should email the link to that thread to the NY Times reporter! That story leaves no doubt about EM's delusions. I read it last night and, while it is funny, it is also really disturbing.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post
    6 vets/pathologists did not think these were excessive and neither did the USEF or they would have enjoined the protest.

One does not enjoin an action or a thing. One enjoins a person from performing an action. One obtains an injunction from the Court by filing a Petition for a Writ of Injunction.

If the Judge believes that the Petition has merit, he will grant the Writ.

Ms. Mandarino, using legal terminology when you do not understand it just makes you look silly (and I use that term in the legal sense.)
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    That's right! For the life of me, I got the numbers at the end mixed up. Entertaining thread that was. Fancy pony for sale, she offered to do a lease or a lease to buy and the owner and/or trainer said no and she started throwing sand. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ge-pony-hunter)

1 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering if Mrs. Mandarino would like to comment re: the drug list, especially concerning Cyrus. According to your website he is a ten year old equitation horse, and I was just wondering your reasoning for giving such a young horse legend, adequan, estrone, depo, banamine (x2), robaxin (x2), and dex (x2) all within a two day period. Thank you and happy new year.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Sounds to me that even in EM's own scenario, she's a pretty poor excuse for a "trainer". Horse had such terrible lung disease that he literally DROPPED DEAD in the crossties, yet was well enough to be leased for Devon?
    Yes, her spin (apparent lung disease) on why he died doesn't really make it any better for her does it.

I'd like to know if Ms. Williams did ultimately get her money back. The rest of the case is just so beyond crazy that my head spins.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    I am glad to see this topic getting attention from the mainstream press. I think it is swept under the rug too much within the horse show world. I agree there are lots of people who do the right thing, but it is up to us to clean house before outside influences do so, and hunter/ jumper competitions end up with a black eye with regard to how it is viewed by the outside world. How can we ever hope to attract sponsors with that kind of press? .
    AQHA finally got motivated to stop the drugging and resultant awful droopy look in the Western Pleasure because of possible outside interference and publicity by animal rights activists, not because it was the right thing to do for the horses.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

It is my understanding that elevated eosinophils are indicative of a parasite load and/or allegies. Those allergies could be of the COPD/heaves (old school word to describe the same) variety which fall under the broad diagnosis of "lung disease."

FWIW the use of Azium (dex) to manage COPD in horses in not unheard of. The use of dex would suficiently supress the symptoms of a low grade or on going lung disease such as the aforementioned "heaves" or a seasonal allergy. (Banamine would likely have a similar effect on any symptoms.)

Eosinophilia is not a common finding in RAO (heaves).
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

2 members found this post helpful.