The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recent Rita Mae Brown - Fox Tracks

Don't get me wrong I love her books but this recent one had me a bit annoyed. So many typos. Called the hounds dogs, which wouldnt normally bug me but she spent so much print in previous books adding a tag when hounds were mentioned that never would they be called dogs. And a simple but annoying typo of the huntsman's horse being called Hobo and not Hojo. Felicity could hunt again since her son turned one in September? Wasn't he just born at the end of the last book in mid-summer after graduation? And didn't Donnie Sweigert die in a fire? Can't find the last one right now to check on that.

Anyone else get a little nutty when there are contuninity issues? Or maybe I should not be reading at 1.40 am and need to get a life. But I have the same issues with other series be it movies or books. Maybe I should have been an editor.

Anyone else find these? Or am I wrong?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaTMK View Post
    Don't get me wrong I love her books but this recent one had me a bit annoyed. So many typos. Called the hounds dogs, which wouldnt normally bug me but she spent so much print in previous books adding a tag when hounds were mentioned that never would they be called dogs. And a simple but annoying typo of the huntsman's horse being called Hobo and not Hojo. Felicity could hunt again since her son turned one in September? Wasn't he just born at the end of the last book in mid-summer after graduation? And didn't Donnie Sweigert die in a fire? Can't find the last one right now to check on that.

Anyone else get a little nutty when there are contuninity issues? Or maybe I should not be reading at 1.40 am and need to get a life. But I have the same issues with other series be it movies or books. Maybe I should have been an editor.

Anyone else find these? Or am I wrong?
    well, you should not be reading at 1.40 AM.....

hounds/dogs is a biggy, not a typo.
    Hobo/Hojo could be just a typo
    but yeah, the sister Jane novels are supposed to follow close, considering that the old gal is no spring chicken anymore.

But after 2 years, i suppose the continuity troubles are understandable....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have not read it but thank you for letting me know it was out.

I get irritated about such things also. Wonder if she has a new editor?

I can't stand Rita Mae Brown's writing. It's not to my taste & I find the writing itself quite poor. It seems like the only reason everyone gets in a twitter about her stuff is because so many of her books are about animals &/or fox hunting.

What I find really amusing about the factual errors in her books, is that I read an early book of hers on the craft of "writing", & it had to be the most pompous, snooty, holier-than-thou epic on the subject I've ever come across. She seriously expounded that no one could possibly hope to succeed in the writing business unless one had a working knowledge of BOTH Latin & Greek - lol!! And as for her multitude of factual errors - needless to say she has a lot to say on the subject of in-depth research, proofreading, & editing as well. Too bad she obviously can't follow her own advice.

After reading just a couple of her "masterpieces", I no longer bother with her stuff. Waste of time, regardless of the subject matter.

I can't get through 'The Hiss of Death'. Liked her previous books involving the dog and cats, haven't read any others that don't include Harry. But this book seems preachy and dull. If I ever finish it I doubt I'll bother to buy the next one.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I like her as a person, but her writing style is very rough and forced feeling. It doesn't flow to me. It almost has a juvenile quality to it. I'm sure many will say I'm wrong, but I don't care for her writing at all, which is a shame since the theme of her books is superb; living in VA!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Her older books (Rubyfruit Jungle) were much better. Now they seem formulaic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Her older books (Rubyfruit Jungle) were much better. Now they seem formulaic to me.

yeah, you could feel that pretty much in her later Sneaky brown books. (they started going South when Harry quit the post office...)

I liked the Sister Jane ones, they had a nice atmosphere.
    but sheesh, I will have to re-read them, after 2, 3 years now since the last one?

maybe she needs a break from the mystery genre....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My favorite of her books is "Riding Shotgun" - think that's what it is called.
    Have read the hunt books mostly and the Sneaky Pie Brown ones. Enjoyed Sneaky Pie. The last couple of hunt ones seemed to be hastily written, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    My favorite of her books is "Riding Shotgun" - think that's what it is called.
    Have read the hunt books mostly and the Sneaky Pie Brown ones. Enjoyed Sneaky Pie. The last couple of hunt ones seemed to be hastily written, though.
    Riding Shotgun was fantastic!

Welcome to the new age of the professional writer. With as many books as RMB has written, she does NOT get a proofreader from her publishing company.

If there are typos, they are often the result of having written, read, and re-read her own work multiple times.

I know this because she asked me to read a draft of a Sister Jane book several years ago for exactly those kind of things.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I'd she doesn't get qualify for a proof reader, who does?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Riding Shotgun was fantastic!
    See, I actually just finished that one. Story line was a good concept, but it was historically incorrect in some matters. Now, I'm all for making concessions in the name of fiction, but they turned out to be key points in the story.

Overall, I like her. It's B writing, but entertaining.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

You are right! I'm so happy someone else noticed this. It really bothered me. Donnie Sweigert did die in a fire in the book FULL CRY (she also spells Donnie differently in that book.) Her books seem to go in chronological order so there is no excuse for Donnie's appearance in this story. Just sloppy editing.

I still love her foxhunting books but that was just bad.

Wait, it was Donnie Sr. that dies in the warehouse fire, not Donnie Jr. -- and isn't there a comment about how he no longer uses the same name as his dad because his dad was connected with the crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Agreed. I no longer pick up the newer ones.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Definitely continuity errors abound in her series books. I have even caught one of the fox characters changing from red to grey once, occasional gender changes in minor character horses, etc. in the Sis J books. And they have just gotten plain boring to me. I skipped huge chunks of the last one - basically just flipped to the end to see whodunit and put it away. I find the young girls not compelling as major characters. Outfoxed was outstanding and the next few held my attention, but after Crawford broke away it seemed there was setup for the storyline to go in the way of spirited conflict with Crawford vs the Jefferson, or at least more funny tales from the new pack, but that thread just kind of faded away. And it happened after Crawford's character had been given some depth and good qualities, so the breaking off from the Jefferson seemed forced in the first place. I thought she was done with the series and if the quality has not improved I wish she would stop the series. And yes, I am hard on continuity errors. I expect an author to care at least as much about her writing as I do. She can re-read and take notes herself or hire an assistant if her publisher will not give her a decent editor.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

They're fluff, not literature.

Like potato chips vs. dinner.

A pleasant diversion, on the whole, but I wouldn't call them great writing.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

The anti-foxhunting groupsin UK call hounds 'dogs' - and achieve their intentions by making me extremely irritated.

I like the fact that she is really knowlegable about her subjects when it comes to hunting. And, yeah, I'll eat potato chips once in a while.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique