The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COTH hunting get together December 29th?

There's a Joint Meet with ODH. Should be big fun.

Maybe dinner the night before? Black Bear switched to their winter menu. It is divine.

Who's in?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

Pas moi. :-(

Dang it! No fair. I want to come, I keep missing all of the COTH get-togethers. Now if I could only buy a winning lottery ticket.......

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    There's a Joint Meet with ODH. Should be big fun.

Maybe dinner the night before? Black Bear switched to their winter menu. It is divine.

Who's in?
    I'll be there in spirit only.

Thumbs up I'm In!!

But...no idear what yer talking about! Haven't gotten my fixture cards for Dec.so.....spill! What? with whom? where? when! DETAILS!
    Absolutely on BBB the night before!!
    You buying the drinks?!! hee, hee, hee!!
    Sounds fun to me!!

It's a Warrenton Hunt -- Old Dominion Hounds joint meet. I don't have my card yet, either, that extends into December, but if JSwan says its so, so it must be.
    It's at Alathus Gate which is down near Culpeper. So I'll be limited by trailer slots, though I'd love to have some folks come-with!
    Let's at the very least, you locals, suit up for BBB Friday night.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm going to follow along and mayyyyybe try to come down south to see you all...If my business has the December we're expecting....

Is the fixture a Warrenton or ODH one? I'd love to see everyone...
    Intermediate Riding Skills

How far south is the meet? I might be able to swing a day trip.

According to JSwan's intelligence report, its at Alanthus Gate which is a WH fixture southeast of Rixeyville/north of Culpeper, out in the boonies. A good open galloping fixture, as I recall. Full o'foxes. : )
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up Oh yeah! I know it!

Right off Rt. 29 closer to Remington. About halfway between Culpeper and Remingon IMHO. I'm going fer shure!!
    Jawa - you know you COULD stay w/me! Or HuntersRest !!
    It'll be a monster meet but fun !!

I'm wary of inviting myself, since I'm not a hunt member, but I moved to Warrenton in July and in November I went on a FAB 40-horse trail ride at Great Meadow led by Robbie and Julie Banner. It was the most fun I have ever had! As a reforming dressage rider, I have been foxhunting once (on a different horse). My mare was great on the trail ride, being in "first flight" plus we have done a baby schooling horse trial and she hacks out alone or in company with no issues except sometimes water. Other than that she is very brave and bold. No issues with hounds. If we have trouble at water I can always turn around and go back by myself--she has no problems leaving the herd. I have my own rig so transportation isn't a problem and I could even bring someone else with me who needs a ride. I want to get more involved in horse activities here. At least dining at the BBB sounds fun! Can anyone give me advice? Thanks--Rebecca

Aw heck - come out with us! Our COTH get togethers are always fun. Really. Everyone has a good time, no one is overfaced or left to fend for themselves - it's all about safe and fun and getting folks involved in the sport. You are most welcome to join us.

Contact Hunter's Rest or me with questions or concerns or whatever. The only problem is going to be the weather - pray to the weather gods for decent weather.
    -Rudyard Kipling

THANK YOU!!! Can you or Betsey please email me at dryount@yahoo.com so I know all the details? I have to dig out my hunt clothes!!

Decisions, decisions.

It is the same day as the TWA jumper show outside Fredericksburg I am planning to take Belle to.

Partly, it will depend on whether Chief is sold by then. He went out with Peidmont on Thanksgiving, and someone is interested.

I would not subject either Belle or the field to taking Belle hunting. Standing still, out in the country, with other horses, is not in her vocabulary. Even cross country clinics or group schooling can be miserable with/for her.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Rebecca - I just emailed you.

Janet - I hope you can join us - but if not have fun at the jumper show. If you're horseless but want to go maybe Betsy can arrange a hireling for you?
    -Rudyard Kipling

I'm sorry I won't be able to be there. I've already squandered all of my vacation time for 2012
    Hugs in advance to all my hunting friends, and I hope you have terrific weather.
    Janet, I know (from seeing Chief) that you're good with a big horse, have you seen the "new" big guy at Hunter's Rest (Ballycormac)?

Well poop, my brother is getting married on December 29th. Stupid brother.....
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

So--Dinner December 28 at Black Bear and then Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on December 29? I'm in.

I hope everybody can come to this joint meet
    ... however ...
    This one is NOT hosted by me, and it is going to be a BIGGG joint meet in another hunt's territory, which means several things.
    1. I will NOT be leading a third field -- there probably won't even be one.
    Which means you ride either with the first flight (galloping and jumping) or the second flight (galloping, oftentimes faster even than first field) and not-jumping.
    There is NO 'going in if my horse doesn't cross the water!!' because as a guest (or even as a member) one is NOT allowed to just leave the hunt. Not safe and not allowed because of the hounds and hunting.
    2. It means the field master, of both flights, though they are professional and friendly and helpful and all those things - they are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT going to be hand-holding newbies. Not a chance.
    A JOINT MEET with no third field is NOT NOT NOT a place to 'start' a hunting career.
    Not to fluff myself up, but it is MY JOB as third field master to encourage and SAFELY START newbie's hunting careers. I ride to the lowest-common-denominator (and, amusingly, the last 3 hunts, it's been all-powerful-horse-god Bucky Reynolds -- a R judge and the nation's leading hunter handler and championship hunter rider -- who has been my 'most needy rider!). At a 'normal' hunt, THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY DO. The field master, on the contrary, rides to the HIGHEST common denominator. NOT NOT NOT the lowest.
    Please I beg of you - come by all means if you and your horse are experienced and fit and ready to go. But please don't use this meet as a first-time for either or both.
    Please come and enjoy and cartop or footfollow and we'll do the BBB thing and have a ball and maybe even do a 'mock hunt' at my house on Sunday. But a big joint meet, at a hunt without (to my knowledge, anyway) a third flight, ain't the right place to start.
    All that said - there are 4 weeks between now and then if anybody wants to come out with me (and/or Jess, and/or Wateryglen, etc.) with ODH and try it out!

3 members found this post helpful.