The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So I got my script from my eye doc today, and they also gave me my PD#s when I asked, no complaints... but they're broken down in L and R numbers. I'm assuming the PD# on the Zenni site is the combined L and R numbers?
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Yes. It will explain it all to you. There are little explaining tabs if you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    So I got my script from my eye doc today, and they also gave me my PD#s when I asked, no complaints... but they're broken down in L and R numbers. I'm assuming the PD# on the Zenni site is the combined L and R numbers?

I am having fun trying on various glasses on the zenni website. For as many years as I've worn glasses you would think I would have known what shape best fit my face, but apparently when you can try on glasses on your uploaded face photo you can learn a bunch about what looks good and what doesn't.

I need to get an updated prescription and buy a couple of glasses. I've never gotten fun ones before but at these prices I could go with multiple frames without flinching at the price.

Sanely, between the knock off designer handbags at my nail ladies and Zenni for frames, I am one chic tomboy LOL!!!

I wantwantwant to order but I am trying to be frugal for a month or so College is expensive and show season braiding makes me some extra spending money, now is not show season LOL!! GAH! But come Feb or March, yeah buddy!!! 3 new pairs for me!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I had been postponing going to a new optometrist/opthmalogist since the move (vets and farrier came first and that was stressful enough), but this is the nudge I needed to get checked and obtain a new prescription.

When I get bored with my selection for me I'm going to upload DH's photo and start choosing for him.

2 members found this post helpful.

I might have done mine wrong but.... I had a PD number listed for both eyes but it was the same number. There was an option for dual PD values so I selected that and it allowed me to enter the two values. I dont know if I used that function right but my glasses turned out ok by doing it that way....

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Default What about Warby Parker?

I just ordered 5 pair of glasses from WP for at-home try on. What are the benefits of using Zenni over Warby Parker? Are they pretty much the same in the way of ordering, etc? This is my first ever attempt at ordering glasses via the web. I have pretty simple eyes (mild prescription), no special needs, so I figure I'd give it a try.
    Cindy

Awesome! The last time I got glasses (I've only ever gotten them from a bricks-&-mortar store), I opted for the Transitions lenses-- and I HATE them. I absolutely need to wear sunglasses whenever I drive, even if it's only an overcast day, and my Transitions lenses revert back to regular lenses whenever I'm inside a vehicle. Completely and utterly useless.
    I think transitions would drive me crazy! I also have to wear sunglasses most of the time when I'm outside. In my car, I just keep a set of clear for night driving and 2 tinted (one spare) in my car. Because the mail order glasses are so inexpensive, my prescription glasses are cheaper than the cheap sunglasses I used to buy. Funny thing, too, I think because I didn't pay much for them, they haven't managed to get lost or broken. If I had paid $100+ for a pair of glasses they would have been broken within a week or two.

Default You can now measure your PD online

Shops must be terrified of what is now possible online. Some of these websites have a nifty way to measure your PD online yourself with a picture.

I have used visio-rx.com. Their PD meter works fine for single vision glasses. But since I'm using progressives, the measurement needs to be done more accurately than on line or with a ruler. These guys rent PD meters for 20 bucks.

I now have great quality progressives with a nice titanium frame for less than $80. Beats the $450 I paid for my previous pair. And I cannot notice any difference in quality.

I also hate the transitions. I paid a fortune for them and no one told me they don't work in the car!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

What I do to get a copy of the prescription is to say I travel a lot, and need one for emergencies. You have a legal right to get a copy of your prescription, but some places make an issue of it, so I lie. To get the PD, then ask the optical staff about the limitations your prescription put on your lens and frame selection, pick a couple out, and ask them to do a preliminary write up so you can decide which frame and price fit, so they should do a PD then, and you might be able to see it then. You then make up an appointment, or another excuse, and you leave and go home and order online, or shop at another store. If not, then use the online one.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If anyone needs a PD ruler let me know. I have two sitting on my desk right now and would be happy to mail them. I have now amassed about 10 pairs of glasses from Zenni. Love them all, especially my bright red Christmas ones!
    The Knotted Pony

When I went to check out there were several different add ons (thin, super thin, anti reflective coating, anti scratch coating, polycarbonate, anti glare, uv coating, etc.).

Which ones (if any) do you all recommend?

Thanks!
    Joyce

This thread made my day!

I just started wearing glasses consistently this year and I am so tired of wearing the same pair every day (and not having sunglasses!).

Can anyone post sunglasses they've ordered from Zenni & loved? Their sunglasses are harder to search than glasses - already picked 2 pairs of glasses to try!

I only add the antireflective glare coating for $4.95. I have had good experiences for over a year with just that I have really poor eyesight so my lenses can be pretty thick but I have had no issues with Zenni and too much eye glass. None are too heavy, etc.
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by arghhalter View Post
    Wow. Just checked out zenni out of curiousity. They are quoting $90. I just paid $600 for a new pair at my optometrist. Is there a catch?
    No catch. I paid over $700 from an optometrist for mine. I couldn't see well enough with the bifocals, to they were going to change to single vision lenses. I couldn't be without glasses, so from hearing about Zenni on the board, I ordered a quick pair from them. Figured they would tide me over until my 'real' glasses arrived. $100 and they were at my door within days.

Got my $700 single vision glasses back from the optometrist, STILL couldn't use them, so I ended up returning them.

Thank goodness for Zenni or I wouldn't have any glasses at all!

Quote Originally Posted by independentalter View Post
    This thread made my day!

I just started wearing glasses consistently this year and I am so tired of wearing the same pair every day (and not having sunglasses!).

Can anyone post sunglasses they've ordered from Zenni & loved? Their sunglasses are harder to search than glasses - already picked 2 pairs of glasses to try!
    I think you can add that as an option on any frame. I just picked a frame I thought I would like as sunglasses and added the darker lens as an option when I ordered.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I only add the antireflective glare coating for $4.95. I have had good experiences for over a year with just that I have really poor eyesight so my lenses can be pretty thick but I have had no issues with Zenni and too much eye glass. None are too heavy, etc.
    Thank you twotrudoc!

1 members found this post helpful.

Since this thread has been resurrected (yay zombie thread!!) I'd like to plug the website I wound up ordering my glasses from as another option for you all: www.39dollarglasses.com I bought two pairs through them and I cannot say enough how nice both pairs are. Made in USA, fast shipping, seamless transaction, excellent quality. And they look great! Each pair comes in their own case with a cleansing cloth and an eyeglass screwdriver. You can also "try" them online by uploading a picture of yourself.

Happy glasses shopping, all
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

WooHoo!!!!!
    So glad I clicked on this thread.
    I only knew about Warby Parker - very cool site - but they do not do bifocals.
    Looks like my next glasses (make that plural "glasses") will be Zennis!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009