The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There was a tv expose by W5 or some such. The big optical companies are owned by an Italian company, PearlVision, Sears and Lensmasters (allegedly!
    in case I've got confused) It mentioned the pd issue because without it you cannot have properly made prescription glasses. They said all the brand names were actually not brand name exclusive designs either. ... a big swindle.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Zenni has good customer service too. I had 2 pair of acetate frames spontaneously break. As in they were fine when I put them away and broken when I picked them up. I contacted Zenni, sent them back, they determined that the lenses had been cut too think for the frames causing the break.

They replaced the glasses promptly at no cost to me. I did pay shipping to return the broken pairs but since they were broken I didn't bother with much in the way of packing, I think it cost a couple of dollars.

Right now I have 2 pair of distance sunglasses, two pair of distance clear (1 each in the car), a pair of spare readers at the barn, at work, and two pair at home. I paid less for all of these put together than I did for my last pair of glasses from the optometrist.

Nope no catch, I've ordered from there googles4you and ummm shoot drawing a blank on the other place, all have been fine... I too got DH to measure and mine came out close enough!! Highly recommend it!!

I use a little fib of my own at the eye doctor's office. I always ask for a copy of the prescription (you definitely have a right to do that), and the other info also, and say "I travel a lot, and need it for emergencies. Then I can call and you can order another pair and have it waiting when I get back". I'm not buying from that optical shop again anyway. I like the optometrist, but the shop only insures the frame for a year, and adjusts the frames for 90 days-everywhere else I've bought glasses includes free adjustments, so I'll take my business elsewhere.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I want to know this as well.. Someone told me about an online site, and said get your script from the eye doctor. I have not asked as I fear I will get a NO as well. But my gosh, It is mine isn't it. I want to get some on line glasses without them costing me a fortune!
    So do I just go in there and ask, I have bought 2 pair of glass from this small place in the last 4 years, neither of which I wear!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I want to know this as well.. Someone told me about an online site, and said get your script from the eye doctor. I have not asked as I fear I will get a NO as well. But my gosh, It is mine isn't it. I want to get some on line glasses without them costing me a fortune!
    So do I just go in there and ask, I have bought 2 pair of glass from this small place in the last 4 years, neither of which I wear!
    You are absolutely, 100% entitled to your prescription and if anyone hassles you about it, you pitch a fit and start contacting the proper medical officials, your insurance company, and anyone else who has any authority.

Just call and say "Can I have my prescription emailed?"

2 members found this post helpful.

I was turned on to Zenni Optical last year after reading a similiar OT thread on COTH and because of a coworker who always orders her glasses from them.

OMG it was so easy and cheap! I had just paid about $200 for a basic pair of glasses from the eye doc and then I ordered three pairs from Zenni for like $50. The Zenni pair I liked best is actually much more comfortable than my expensive pair of glasses and (when I actually do wear my glasses) they are the pair I wear most often. I also don't worry about them getting messed up since they're so cheap. The hardest part for me at this point is judging what frame styles I will like, but like someone else mentioned they list the measurements of the frames on the site. Once you find a style you like, just keep buying other frames that have similar measurements. I ordered 3 pairs and 2 out of 3 fit great the first time out.

My eye doc didn't give me any static about getting my prescription. I called them back after my appointment and asked them to fax it to me, which they did. Not sure if it helped that I had already purchased glasses from them or if they would've been that accomodating anyways.

Speaking of which.... I've been meaning to shop for a couple more pairs....
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Question re: Zenni, do they carry regular Rx sunglasses? Not the clip-on style, or the goggle-type... I've been browsing their site for a few minutes but am not having any luck. I can find the non-Rx sunglasses, but no Rx ones.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Question re: Zenni, do they carry regular Rx sunglasses? Not the clip-on style, or the goggle-type... I've been browsing their site for a few minutes but am not having any luck. I can find the non-Rx sunglasses, but no Rx ones.
    You add the sunglass coating as part of the options for the frames, as you're putting your prescription in. You can select several different colors and percentages of darkness, and I'm pretty sure it's just an extra $4.95 no matter what. I have MANY pairs of sunglasses from them as I wear them outside and on the water, and have been pleased with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    You add the sunglass coating as part of the options for the frames, as you're putting your prescription in. You can select several different colors and percentages of darkness, and I'm pretty sure it's just an extra $4.95 no matter what. I have MANY pairs of sunglasses from them as I wear them outside and on the water, and have been pleased with all of them.
    Awesome! The last time I got glasses (I've only ever gotten them from a bricks-&-mortar store), I opted for the Transitions lenses-- and I HATE them. I absolutely need to wear sunglasses whenever I drive, even if it's only an overcast day, and my Transitions lenses revert back to regular lenses whenever I'm inside a vehicle. Completely and utterly useless.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

YEah, I tried transitions, too, and hated them. PIA to drive in. I have a bunch of variations of straight glasses, bifocals, sunglasses, and bifocal sunglasses. I tired the clip on sunglasses and didn't like them.

I use eyebuydirect.com . I bought my first several pairs a few years ago (2 different orders)- with discounts and loyalty bucks I ended up getting 6 pr of semi-rimless glasses for under $60. I got 3 pr for reading and 3 for distance. Recently, DH decided he needed reading glasses, so he paid $29 for an eye exam at a chain store. The eye doc didn't give him any flak when he asked for the PD, in fact said that online is fine for single vision glasses just not so great for bifocals and such. Because I had credit/loyalty dollars from my account, his 2 pair of glasses were free.

If you use eyebuydirect, please use IFJB6J3456 as a discount code for 15% off. I need new glasses and every time someone uses my code I get a credit for $10! Pretty sweet huh?

I see that they do bifocals--how about trifocals? It's hell getting old.

Anyone who uses Zenni (this is the first I've heard of them) able to compare to eyebuydirect.com? I just got 2 pair for a total of about $38. I am pretty satisfied though I think I'm a bit more near-sighted than my last prescription indicates. And they took a bit longer than I expected.

But I love the concept and want MORE! I am a chronic loser and breaker of glasses, not to mention they are always where I'm not. I want glasses in every vehicle, room and bag/purse!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

This is awesome! I desperately need a new pair of glasses but cannot afford the usual $500 price tag (insurance only pays $150 every two years). I only have the one pair now and they are so badly scratched I can barely see. It would be nice to have a backup in case I break them in an accident (like falling off my horse). And it would be lovely to have a pair of sunglasses! My doctor always gives my my prescription so I have that. Now to figure out that distance thing.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

thank you so much for this thread! Some A hole bashed my glasses at a concert last week, leaving me blind! Had to run over to lens crafters .. Needed glasses NOW so I could work that day.

They were having a 40% off sale, so the cheapest frames in the place, plus my single vision lenses cost me "only" $300

They gave me a copy of my prescription but no PD. So glad to hear I can measure myself! Was getting ready to fight them for it so I could buy some extra glasses online!

Now off to shop at Zenni!

The PD is not hard. You just measure MM between the pupils in your eyes. You can do it with a ruler in the mirror. The site tells you how to do it. Make sure to download your picture on the site so you can try on glasses. It also now keeps all of your distances and measurements so you don't have to put them in for each pair of glasses.

Get a bunch when you get them so you have an idea what you like. You can get a single vision pair for $8, so get a few of those, then play with bifocals, sunglasses, etc. For $100 and $5 shipping for as many as you want, you can get 5 or 8 pairs.

And they all come with a plastic cases and a cleaning rag. I have a drawer full and glasses stashed everywhere.

My doctor always hands me a glasses prescription. Even when I say I DON'T want it (I only wear contacts and my eyes haven't changed so I use my old pair of glasses when I do rarely wear them). He always says "this is part of what you pay for when you see me, take it just in case." ALWAYS. How bizarre that some doctors are hesitant to give you your prescription?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Anyone who uses Zenni (this is the first I've heard of them) able to compare to eyebuydirect.com? I just got 2 pair for a total of about $38. I am pretty satisfied though I think I'm a bit more near-sighted than my last prescription indicates. And they took a bit longer than I expected.

But I love the concept and want MORE! I am a chronic loser and breaker of glasses, not to mention they are always where I'm not. I want glasses in every vehicle, room and bag/purse!
    I buy from both zenni and eyebuydirect. Both are excellent - and I use trifocals. Only one pair ever came back wrong and they replaced them immediately.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Your doctor will ALWAYS give you your prescription (it is mandated by law.) BUT they do NOT have to put the PD measurement on it, and a good percentage of them won't, because they want you to fork out hundreds of bucks at their own optometrist shop.

So there is a difference between your actual RX and the PD measurement.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry