The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Am I entitled to my PD measurements when having a optometric exam?

Hey folks,
    A little upset here, I just had an eye exam at Pearle Vision. After the exam I ask the doctor if I could get a copy of my prescription as well as my pd measurement. She gives me a copy of my prescription and tells me the store staff will take my pd measurements. I go to the front and the store staff tells me pd measurements are only for store customers. I told her to check my records, I bought 3 pair of glasses in that shop in the last 2 years, so I consider myself a customer, I just don't plan on buying any glasses with you today. She bluntly refused.

Just curious is a pd measurement normally part of your prescription or not?

Thanks, vent over.

I would recommend starting with this information provided by the FTC:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...rs-and-sellers

It talks about contact lenses, but you might be able to poke around and get information on glasses, which I assume are covered somewhere.

edited to add: I would recommend speaking to the manager directly, if the staff refused to help you. Given what you posted, it is clear that you ARE a customer. Three frames in 2 years? Please. They should be happy to help you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I dont know but they seem pretty determined that you will no longer want to be a customer what a bad business decision.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Hey folks,
    A little upset here, I just had an eye exam at Pearle Vision. After the exam I ask the doctor if I could get a copy of my prescription as well as my pd measurement. She gives me a copy of my prescription and tells me the store staff will take my pd measurements. I go to the front and the store staff tells me pd measurements are only for store customers. I told her to check my records, I bought 3 pair of glasses in that shop in the last 2 years, so I consider myself a customer, I just don't plan on buying any glasses with you today. She bluntly refused.

Just curious is a pd measurement normally part of your prescription or not?

Thanks, vent over.
    Yes they do:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...39807069407853

They don't want to because they prefer you pay outrageous prices to purchase frames from them. You can google pupillary distance ruler and find downloadable ones. Have a friend help you measure.

FWIW I get my glasses through Zenni optical. Inexpensive and I've found that the lenses I get there are just as good as the ones I get at the at the optometrist.

3 members found this post helpful.

My eye doctor flat out refused to give me my PD measurement, when I said that I would be buying $15 glasses online instead of through his store. His reason? He offers "plenty of affordable options in the $150 range". I measured it myself, and must have gotten close enough, because all of the glasses I've ordered online have been just fine.

BTW, I wore my $15 glasses to my next appt...he must have had a note in my file about me being obstinate about buying them online, because he made a point to ask about my glasses, and took them away to test. He brought them back to begrudgingly admit that the prescription was exact and there was no reason not to wear them.

I love zenni.com, btw, for cheap glasses! I scratch/break/lose/step on mine all the time, and it helps to know I paid just $10 for them!

2 members found this post helpful.

I think Zenni Optical rocks. New glasses cost me $125 total versus the $550 lenses alone would cost me from the eye doctor. They were gracious about doing the PD measurement for me.

Zenni! Zenni!! Zenni!! Rules! And they will send you a few PD rulers when you get your glasses from them.

Anger subsiding a little.
    I printed off a downloadable pd ruler, so I will see where I get with that.

I doubt I'll ever buy from that store again. Not sure if this is a Pearle Vision policy or if it is just this particular store policy.
    Because I am so disgruntled about this, I will try to find out who's the manager there or who overseas this particular store.

I do indeed intend to buy a cheap pair of glasses online, so I don't feel so bad when they get all dirty from mucking out stalls etc.
    Checking out Zenni as I type this, .

Holy cow, where has this Zenni Optical been? I am in the market for new glasses. The pair on my face right now was $300! You mean to tell me I could have had 30 pairs of them?!

What is PD and how do you measure it?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

You will love Zenni!

What is PD and how do you measure it?
    pd : pupillary distance
    I just printed this one out.
    https://www.glasses.com/images/misc/GlassesPDRuler.pdf

Someone on another board turned me on to Zenni Optical. I was hesitant, but then my tech bought from them and helped me through the measurement process. I suspect that just as I routinely script out meds for pets (and our in-house pharmacy is quite small with that in mind) optometrists will soon have to accept losing much of their in house sales.

I'd happily pay a bit more for being fitted, etc but not the fourfold price increase that lenses alone cost compared to a full pair of glasses on Zenni. And I have gotten more compliments on my frames from Zenni than any other. I can actually afford to buy a back up pair for the first time in my life. Sunglasses will probably be next.

Zenni!!! Hurray!!

I did my own PD measurement when I first ordered from Zenni and my glasses turned out awesomely fine.

I plan on ordering frames for that go with all my shoes and purses *happy sigh*

I love these best http://www.zennioptical.com/?prescri...single&gender2[]=810&color_basic[]=710&nav_cat_id=2&pagination=true&p=3&navused=1

I am blind as a bat so all mine are prescription specs. I do add the non-glare stuff for an extra $4.95 a pair. They ship from SoCal so I get mine in one week exactly
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Wow. Just checked out zenni out of curiousity. They are quoting $90. I just paid $600 for a new pair at my optometrist. Is there a catch?

Nope. It will give you a price and that is what you pay. Then they ship. My glasses are so cute and durable! I love having multiple pairs, not like in the old days where I shelled out a few hundred and was afraid to use them for fear of breaking them.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Wow. I'll have to give that a try!

I've never found or heard of a catch-we've ordered several pairs for DH and DS and they've always arrived exactly as ordered (from Hong Kong, maybe that's the catch?)!

Quote Originally Posted by arghhalter View Post
    Wow. Just checked out zenni out of curiousity. They are quoting $90. I just paid $600 for a new pair at my optometrist. Is there a catch?
    No catch. Like I said above, I took them to my eye doctor, who was looking for any reason to find fault with them, and he couldn't find a thing wrong!

I have many, many pairs from them (yes, I have bought some just to match specific outfits or for Halloween costumes!) and have been happy with them all. Sunglasses, too!!! I occasionally get a pair that just doesn't look good on my face, and those are saved for back up car glasses, or the frames I keep on the end table near the TV. (Which my dog habitually chews up!) It's hard to be too upset about a funky-fitting pair when they were $6.95.

I totally winged it on my first order, but once my first order came in, I made special note of which frames were most flattering, dimension-wise, and then wrote those dimensions down. All of Zenni's frames have several measurements listed, and now I just compare those measurements to what I know flatters my face. Particularly helpful when I wanted some slightly-oversized sunglass frames, as it's particularly hard to judge "largeness" from their stock photos, for some reason!

Yep. Zenni! I've bought about five times from them, usually about five pair at a time and tried everything. They now send a PD ruler with glasses, but I did it in a mirror with a regular ruler.

$90 is a LOT for glasses there. With ALL of the bells and whistles--bifocal, progressive--my expensive ones are about $50. You can get single vision glasses for $10 and they are great. $5 for shipping no matter how many glasses you get. They're actually in San Rafael, just north of SF, so you get them way faster than the ten days they say.

AND you can download your picture and try them on on the site. I destroy things, so it's good for me. I have glasses everywhere as well as sunglasses and normal ones. I have found I do not like the ones that change with the sun, though they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    pd : pupillary distance
    I just printed this one out.
    https://www.glasses.com/images/misc/GlassesPDRuler.pdf
    Thanks OP!!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05