The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Macarons Good??

I've never had one but they come in such pretty colors. Are they worth trying to find? I've never seen them around here, so I don't want to put forth a big effort trying to find a place that sells them if they are gross. Thank you!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Oh. My. Gosh. I love these things. There is a French bakery in town that makes them in a zillion different colors and flavors, and they are just too addicting.

So I would not recommend them. They are addicting and bad for your waistline. Stay far, far away.

*ETA they are not coconut macaroons, they are macarons, French almond cookies filled with something (jam, chocolate, peanut butter, etc.).

1 members found this post helpful.

Macarons and macaroons are not the same thing! Macaroons are almost exclusively coconut-based and in my experience are pretty much sweet coconut with some flour to hold it all together. Macarons, on the other hand, are an amazing French cookie made from almond flour. They are very light and delicate and are served as sandwich cookies with some kind of filling. The mark of a good macaron is the "feet" or ridges around the base of the cookie.

I personally strongly prefer macarons to macaroons. Macarons are usually pretty delicately flavored and flavored things like raspberry, lemon, and vanilla. They're delicious!

For reference: macaron vs. macaroon
    bit.ly/1cjtf3Q

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    You mean macaroons? I love them, but if you do not like coconut you probably won't care for them.
    No, it's one "o" - they are two different things. I already know I hate macaroons because I hate coconut.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I will submit this: http://www.angesdesucre.com/macaron-...a-name-anyway/

And say, yes, macarons are delicious (for those without nut allergies)!

ETA: ninja'd

I was reading the title, "Are macarons God"?

Yes, some consider them almost "godly".

Thanks for explaining that because I've never had a colored macaroon, and I couldn't imagine anything made of coconut being bad.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault. And you know what, even if you have an excuse, shut up."
    Bruce Davidson, Sr.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby they sell them (for $2.50 per cookie!). Very delicious!

Macarons are SOOOO good! I love them. They're pretty easy to make, too!

Here in the US, Trader Joe's has some delicious ones in the frozen aisle. Thaw at room temp and enjoy!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

macaroons aren't coconut based, but egg white.
    coconut just makes the whitest and fluffiest. Pretty much the only thing besides a blue hawaiian I like coconuts in.

But they can be made with all kinds of nuts. A German Christmas staple is a hazelnut macaroon on a butter cookie base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    macaroons aren't coconut based, but egg white.
    coconut just makes the whitest and fluffiest. Pretty much the only thing besides a blue hawaiian I like coconuts in.

But they can be made with all kinds of nuts. A German Christmas staple is a hazelnut macaroon on a butter cookie base.
    I don't think you're thinking of the same macaron that's being discussed here. French macarons, like these, are made with almond flour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I don't think you're thinking of the same macaron that's being discussed here. French macarons, like these, are made with almond flour.
    pretty sure the macaroon part stems from the beat egg whites.
    Just my vague memories from Christmases past...

Yes, they can be made with other than coconut. In the Old World you can get ground (not quiet flour) nuts for backing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yes egg whites and almond flour, basically, but also chocolate etc.

But seriously. Try the Trader Joe's French macarons. I was amazed at how good they were! Just like home.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

The good ones are heavenly. The bad ones taste like cardboard cookies with too sweet filling.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

They are relatively easy to make if you have a good mixer to beat the egg whites. You start with almond paste and add egg whites and maybe sugar, and that's just about all that's in the ones that I make.

Bourbon soaked almond macaroons are an ingredient in a luscious ice box cake dessert.

Alagirl, I have a German recipe from my great aunt for some chocolate cookies. She was married to a man originally from Stuttgart, and these cookies came from his family and are incredibly complicated and delicious. You have have a chocolate grater, and each cookie is pressed into a sugar lined wooden mold in the shape of a shell. Each mold has to be washed for each cookie. I'm looking at the recipe right now. It takes 1 1/2 lbs of almonds; 1 lb, 2 oz sugar; 4 1/2 oz chocolate; juice of one lemon (2 TBs), strained; 8 egg whites; and 1/8 teaspoon full of ground cloves. They cook at 300 after several different chilling steps.

Both the chocolate and the almonds are ground fine in a chilled German nut and chocolate grinder, which I seem to have lost--maybe. I'd love to be able to replace it. It had a square wooden stomper which I KNOW disappeared.

These are very much in the macaroon line. I call anything made with ground almonds and eggwhites macaroons.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Dec. 8, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Show boots View Post
    The good ones are heavenly. The bad ones taste like cardboard cookies with too sweet filling.
    I guess i've only ever had bad ones, then. I find them yucky.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

NO, they are terrible things - you must pack them all up and send them to me immediately!!!!!!!!!!

They are hard to find around here without making a drive into the city and pissing around downtown.........*SIGH*
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Laduree and their macarons were one of the prettiest and tastiest parts of our trip to Paris. And that is really saying something...

'lette's in Little Tokyo, downtown LA, makes the most heavenly macarons. My fans are the salted caramel and the Earl Grey flavors. Sigh!

We have a creperie in the town where I work; they also specialize in macarons. They ARE heavenly, but small and at $2 a pop, they are not a treat I indulge in very often...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"